The Student Room Group

training to be a paramedic... questions???

this post is for a friend of mine who is not on TRS. she want to be a paramedic and asked for my advice but i really dont know anything about it.

basically she has a degree in biology (2:1 i think?) she is 24 and wants to train to be a paramedic. she is worried mostly about funding. can she get funding like a nursing student? she is not entitled to another student loan because she used that on her first degree so basically first question is: how does a graduate fund paramedic training?also what is the pay like for paramedics?

also she was saying that some paramedics go to uni and some train on the job (i personally though they all went to uni but what do i know)? where do you go to train on the job and how do you apply?

lastly, she does st johns ambulance every week and helps out at a youth club she also did a few weeks at a homeless centre talking to homeless people. is this enough work experience?

sorry, i know a bit about nursing, dentistry and medicine entry as i have considered that myself but paramedic training is a mystery to me. she has done nothing since graduating 3 year ago (except the voluntary work above and a part time job) and i really want to help her move forward and she seem really enthusiastic about this paramedic thing.
If she wants to get on a trust run Student Paramedic course she will need to find them on NHS jobs. They only come up every so often though, are very very competative and it can take a long time from application to starting work. You do however get paid going this route.

If she goes the university route some are sponsered by ambualnce trusts and so the fees are paid and students given a bursary, not all are like this though so would take a bit of digging around to find out which unis offer this.

A newly qualified paramedic starts at the bottom of band 5 of the agenda for change (approx £21.5kpa) and will get a pay increase at 6 months, 1 year and then yearly after that.

If you have a look in my sig there is a link to the paramedic wiki page which should help a bit more.

Latest