The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i have a fear of raw mushrooms
tho once they have been cooked i am generally okay with them- tho this only really applies to crispy fried ones!
im terrified of banannas tho
Reply 21
I have a slight unusual phobia of throwing up - emetophobia
Throwing up Scares the hell out of me. I actively avoid things I know would cause me to throw up.. dont try new foods for fear of it alot of the time, and havent since I was about 7 when I think it was triggered by an illness. Weird weird.
I also cannot watch anyone else do it.. Its just Eugh.. In real life, Tv films.. Gah.
Reply 22
daniel_williams
well all phobias have a name, basically its jsut latin words strung together. some people have fears of the strangest things, its jsut how people see thigns and what could happen, for example yoyur fear of mushrooms, could be somthing along the lines of that mushroom my be highly poisonous and could kille me with its toxins, or it is producing spores which could kill me, but then again there are people who have .... hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia (thats a fear of long words) some peoples phobias may be strange , but everyone has a fear of something... you might jsut not know you do!

So this means that i could have a phobia of people that have phobias and not know it!

Perhaps i have a phobia of people who have a phobia to mushrooms!
Revenged
Ok... perhaps you are... any reason that you hate them?

Did they eat your brother or something! :wink:

lol :wink:, its probably something due to the fact that they may be poisonous as another person has mentioned, but its strange that i still dislike even ones that relatives have told me are non poisonous :s
Hanzing
I have a slight unusual phobia of throwing up - emetophobia
Throwing up Scares the hell out of me. I actively avoid things I know would cause me to throw up.. dont try new foods for fear of it alot of the time, and havent since I was about 7 when I think it was triggered by an illness. Weird weird.
I also cannot watch anyone else do it.. Its just Eugh.. In real life, Tv films.. Gah.

lol you are in the TSR drinking society and have a fear of throwing up :P? Is it only a fear of yourself personally throwing up, or others too?
Reply 25
Amazingly, I have never been sick from drinking. I have enabled a certainself control that I never drink to that extremity of a level.. Over the years Ive perfected not to throw up. Mostly myself, But Ive realised I cant watch anyone else doing it.. Especially on films it makes me all anxious and freaked out.
Reply 26
theisticandy
I've got this really strong fear of mushrooms, I thought it was a kinda unique thing to me, but recently looked it up on the internet and it even has a proper name and everything. I was wondering if anyone else has the same phobia. A link I found on another website kinda sums up my fear of mushrooms http://www.unusualphobias.com/caterpillar.html (point number one)
However personally my fear of them is even worse than his :s-smilie:

Does anyone share my fear in mushrooms or have any unusual phobias?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t137324.html

:smile: I have to say that awoke my mycophobia a little bit :redface:
Revenged
So this means that i could have a phobia of people that have phobias and not know it!

Perhaps i have a phobia of people who have a phobia to mushrooms!

it could be possible although i am sure if you had the phobia you wouldn't have been able to read the thread :p: but yeah people have phobias of the most stupid things, there are ones that people have like fear of having petnut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth! maybe you have that. and most phobias are not noticed until confronted with a problem. its all very strange... i wish i could understand it all a bit more
Hanzing
Amazingly, I have never been sick from drinking. I have enabled a certainself control that I never drink to that extremity of a level.. Over the years Ive perfected not to throw up. Mostly myself, But Ive realised I cant watch anyone else doing it.. Especially on films it makes me all anxious and freaked out.

I understand what you mean :P

Its kinda strange how there are so many phobias though, to most people all this stuff is normal, but to some of us really normal stuff seems terrifying.
Wish I'd studied psychology, would love to know how it all works :P
ponjavic
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t137324.html

:smile: I have to say that awoke my mycophobia a little bit :redface:

I've read the thread, and from other peoples reactions I think it would be wiser not to look at the pics :wink:, but sounds scary anyway :P
Reply 30
theisticandy
I understand what you mean :P

Its kinda strange how there are so many phobias though, to most people all this stuff is normal, but to some of us really normal stuff seems terrifying.
Wish I'd studied psychology, would love to know how it all works :P

Its Frustrating more than anything. Phobias are considered down to many things. Biologists beleive that phobias are brought on by a response in the body to a fear stimulus crating anxiety, sweating anxiousness etc..
Behaviourists ar emore focused on connections to fear stimulus's to us. We connect the idea of the stimulus with something negative and bad and so we actively avoid it in the future (Which ironically makes it worse because we congratulate ourselves on avoiding the danger)
Freud of course goes onm a completely different track that fears are manifests of other objects that could we not reveal to our conscious or are related in some matter.

You may find that interesting. I covered it in one of my modules this year, Really intriguing.
Hanzing
Its Frustrating more than anything. Phobias are considered down to many things. Biologists beleive that phobias are brought on by a response in the body to a fear stimulus crating anxiety, sweating anxiousness etc..
Behaviourists ar emore focused on connections to fear stimulus's to us. We connect the idea of the stimulus with something negative and bad and so we actively avoid it in the future (Which ironically makes it worse because we congratulate ourselves on avoiding the danger)
Freud of course goes onm a completely different track that fears are manifests of other objects that could we not reveal to our conscious or are related in some matter.

You may find that interesting. I covered it in one of my modules this year, Really intriguing.

that iss indeed interesting, thankyou for writing it! :smile:
Reply 32
Does it mean you can't eat them either? :frown: What if you can't tell and someone hides some in your salad or something! :biggrin: :cool:
I can't eat mushrooms at all- as a child, I almost died as a result of wrong mushroom being cooked by a friend's mother (long story) and ever since then, I wouldn't touch them.
Reply 34
emetophobia is an extremely hard phobia to live with because the fear stimulus is your own body. its not like a fear of peanut butter sticking to the top of your mouth where you can just not eat it lol. Emetophobia is with you constantly. The vomit reflex is controlled by a center in the brain, many emets can actually over ride this reflex so can drink without getting sick themselves. I rarely drink, but when i do i know my limit and stop before it gets to the point where i vomit.
Reply 35
i'd never heard of emetohopbia, but i probably have that a bit. i haven't hurled in 11 years, even though logically i know it's not a terrifiying thing, i just really hate being sick!

as for weird phobias, i know someone who is terrified of cotton wool. and i mean properly terrified - she screams and cries and looks like she's going to vomit if she finds some.
Reply 36
Holleh
emetophobia is an extremely hard phobia to live with because the fear stimulus is your own body. its not like a fear of peanut butter sticking to the top of your mouth where you can just not eat it lol. Emetophobia is with you constantly. The vomit reflex is controlled by a center in the brain, many emets can actually over ride this reflex so can drink without getting sick themselves. I rarely drink, but when i do i know my limit and stop before it gets to the point where i vomit.

Vomit reflex, that's interesting.

I'm severely allergic to peanuts - even if I THINK about them I start feeling sick and feel like I have the symptoms of eating them!
I am quite allergic both to peanuts & garlic... especially the latter. Like Adshur said above, even if I think of garlic (wrong move- ouch), I feel so sick.
Reply 38
buttons7
i'd never heard of emetohopbia, but i probably have that a bit. i haven't hurled in 11 years, even though logically i know it's not a terrifiying thing, i just really hate being sick!

Lol I think I have that a bit.
Badgers Badgers Badgers Badgers Badgers Badgers Badgers Badgers Badgers Badgers Badgers Badgers...

Edit: (No, I don't have badger-phobia).

Latest

Trending

Trending