The Student Room Group

OCR F211 May 25th Biology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
nth1992
- transpiration pull
- Casparian strip/ suberin
- apoplast --> symplast

yeah i was going to mention the casparian strip blocking apoplast... but then i thought they just wanted to focus on the xylem, now that i think about it couldnt have hurt to put it down anyway.
for the question on drawing chromosomes, how many did you draw?
Reply 41
3 different ones...?
Reply 42
yeh I drew the three different chromosomes... ie the long one, the short one and the one with a long end and a short end.

As for the xylem question- people around me kept asking for extra paper?! That always makes me worry, but it's only 5 marks and probably based on key words
Reply 43
oh lol what about the staining one... :s-smilie:
Reply 44
Flugel
yeh I drew the three different chromosomes... ie the long one, the short one and the one with a long end and a short end.

As for the xylem question- people around me kept asking for extra paper?! That always makes me worry, but it's only 5 marks and probably based on key words

i drew 3 single strands because the picture at the top was in late prophase and so had already replicated its dna and meisois produces 4 daughter cells so the nucleus divides twice: 12-6-3. :confused:
Reply 45
OH NO thats right... they should be single chromatids. dang there goes my first mark
Reply 46
nth1992
OH NO thats right... they should be single chromatids. dang there goes my first mark

dont worry, i messed that one up too
nth1992
- transpiration pull
- Casparian strip/ suberin
- apoplast --> symplast

Woooohoo. Now I can return to my state of relaxation. :smile:
shuty
dont worry, i messed that one up too

same here, i had drawn just one then i decided to draw the other half just before the end of the paper =.=
Reply 49
The whole of that yeast question was stupid I hated it. And then I totally forgot about the transportation of water so that answer is rubbish. From the sounds of it I got my heartbeat round...I got 60something crap wait I think I did it off the wrong on...noooooooooooo!
Reply 50
all of that yeast question on dye was ********, the 3 questions were practically the same and made no sense

the chromosomes were 3 single strands im pretty sure

the root > leaves one will include everything on that they always do, so all the pathways, casparian strip, tension - adhesion and transpiration pull

heart rate 75

does the phloem have pits anyone? cus surely the sugars gotta get in and out :/
The more I think about the paper, the worse it gets.

I don't think that phloem has bordered pits. Iput that the blood smear was stained to show colour and pick out organelles. With a scanning electron microscope you would be able to see bi-concave shape.
Reply 52
No pits in phloem - Cotransported into companion cell, and diffusion through the plasmodesmata into the actual sieve tube element.

The methylene blue question was completely ********. Can't believe two marks were on reliability and accuracy when it's asked in pretty much every coursework.

Thought the guard cell 'feature' was a bit vague ?

Overall i thought the whole thing was overall vague... no questions to really get stuck into - would have loved a long answer that required a bit of detail. Felt no more indepth then a GCSE paper.
Reply 53
I think the grade boundaries are going to be a little bit lower this year, everyone seems to have had a bit of trouble with this one.
Reply 54
I put for the guard cell question that it had a large vacuole for strength & turgidity, fail!
Guard cell question was horrendous
Reply 56
What letter was the endodermis?
and how does water get into the root?
I just put diffusion :s-smilie:
Reply 57
Andygunner93
Guard cell question was horrendous

There was a guard cell question?
Reply 58
oh yeah the staining was that to show up transparent parts and to provide contrast / produce an image?
hmm for the guard cell i put they have hairs on the outer cell and they trap moisture and air to prevent and reduce loss of water?? saw it in another past exam q i did yday.. but this one today was really really broad..... :/

Quick Reply

Latest