The Student Room Group

AQA Literature Exam Today -reaction-

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Akbar2k7
Thanks dude rep 4 u baby

I had the same idea about On My First Sonne but I didn't even turn the page to look at this question. I don't think I would have done it anyway as I didn't know anything about Song of the Old Mother and the other poem on that same list. I would have ended up beating someone up if The Affliction of Margaret was on the list as I wrote an A* essay on that the night before but it wasn't so it made matters better a little - (I'm a boy, no need for the 'baby').
Hmm.. thinking about my exam, I've become rather worried about the state of my handwriting.. :/
My teachers are always having a go at me for it being too small, and a lot of them struggle to read it. In the exam, I wrote 10 pages, and by page four, my handwriting had totally deteriorated. I could still read it, but I'm afraid someone else may not be able to..
If they can't read my handwriting at first glance, will they just not bother trying to decipher it and discard it, or are there, like, markers who are hired especially to read illegible handwriting..?
Reply 182
TattyBoJangles
Hmm.. thinking about my exam, I've become rather worried about the state of my handwriting.. :/
My teachers are always having a go at me for it being too small, and a lot of them struggle to read it. In the exam, I wrote 10 pages, and by page four, my handwriting had totally deteriorated. I could still read it, but I'm afraid someone else may not be able to..
If they can't read my handwriting at first glance, will they just not bother trying to decipher it and discard it, or are there, like, markers who are hired especially to read illegible handwriting..?

My handwriting is equally criticized as well for being small but they somehow always manage to read it when it comes to exams :p: Wouldn't worry too much about it!
Reply 183
Munny_d
My handwriting is equally criticized as well for being small but they somehow always manage to read it when it comes to exams :p: Wouldn't worry too much about it!

My handwriting is like signatures - that is of course when I get tired of writing neatly and decide to go wild and start writing whatever comes to my mind. The examiners do consider marks for handwriting though I think but it shouldn't be too much of a worry really.
Reply 184
Our teacher advised us to the the poem essay first as it was worth more marks, so I did three pages on that I think it went quite well.

But Im not so sure on Lord of the Flies as i did the first question about Ralph and Jacks relationship. I think I should have done the second one about a frightening novel. I had learned so many quotes for nothing. Lord of the Flies might have let me down. I expected to do better in Lord of the flies rather than the poems. Anyway wats done is done. I hope I get an A* and my coursework is A* too? :o:

Good luck everyone with rest of english exams.

quote me please....
ccc18
I didn't do as well on the poems but I still think I did ok. I couldn't decide which question to do, and in hindsight the disturbed mind one was probably the best, but I went for the last question about how family attitudes are presented. I mentioned:

In both 'On My First Sonne and 'Mother...' the family relationship is described in metaphorical terms, with the former coming across as only temporary and the latter having a sense of permanence.

The parents in both these poems seem to have a selfish kind of love-Ben Jonson knows he should be happy for his son but he grieves anyway, while the mother holds back the son seeking independence

The way the endings reflected the family attitudes. Jonson seems disillusioned and vows never to love again, with the switch from 1st to 3rd person at the end reflecting how he is now distancing himself from loved ones. In contrast, since the perspective is reversed, 'Mother' ends on a positive note as the son is excited at the prospect of independence.

How both 'My Last Duchess' and 'Homecoming' both use alliteration when discussing family members to create a sinister tone.

How both of the narrators feel they haven't been treated with the resepect they deserve. The Duke can't understand why his wife doesn't appreciate his family name, as is evident from the frequent use of caesura, whereas 'Homecoming' uses the symbolism of the yellow jacket being 'uncoupled from its hook' to show how the child has been neglected.

That's pretty much what I wrote, in a nutshell. :P
What did you do for the poetry question?

And what did anyone else who did the poetry question on family attitudes mention? It seems like few people chose that one.

God, I can't remember! Well, I did the disturbing behaviour question and chose: The Laboratory, Hitcher and My Last Duchess (know hardly anything about the last one) I can't remember exactly what I wrote but I could only find structural devices for two and then commented on language for all four.

As I started with the poetry first, when I still had 15 minutes to go everyone else was changing question and the invigilator went "Please note, there is a poetry question on the back!" Me: :eek: "****!!!" Oh, I can't answer that one anyway...phew!

I think only one of my friends chose the family question but she didn't really mention anything...

Anyway, good luck with all your future exams! :biggrin:
Reply 186
TattyBoJangles

Don't you get a transcript or anything similar to that if your handwriting is not always legible.
k8ht67`
Don't you get a transcript or anything similar to that if your handwriting is not always legible.

I don't know, I certainly don't :dontknow:
It isn't totally illegible, it's just that as I get further into essay exams (past the fifth page or so), my handwriting steadily gets messier. It looks like I misspell half of the words because letters kind of run into each other, stuff like that.
Reply 188
TattyBoJangles
I don't know, I certainly don't :dontknow:
It isn't totally illegible, it's just that as I get further into essay exams (past the fifth page or so), my handwriting steadily gets messier. It looks like I misspell half of the words because letters kind of run into each other, stuff like that.

Ah, fair enough then. Mine does precisely the same, although to make it legilble in the first place takes time and effort.
Reply 189
rebecca_george
i didnt write enough. only 1 and half pages for lord of the flies and 2 and a half for poems , family attitudes. I know that I shoulnt complain if I get an A, but I want an A* so much and I am predicted, end of the world if I dont get it, dosent look like I will though

hardly :p:
Reply 190
Original post by abcx
Arhh well, I'll just hope it makes not much difference to the grade, when you get alevels they kinda overide gcse's after all this was just an extra.
Not like not getting this will make a big difference I already got the grades I need for college. & that's when the serious work should defo start.

A bit randomly late, but I got a B, so I was pleased with that considering the situation.
Lol, A*.
Reply 192
Original post by tehforum
Lol, A*.

Lol I wasn't trying to brag about getting a B. I was just saying because I chose a fairly unsuitable poem because we hadn't really studied the other choices much, so I was just saying it to show people it's not the end of world, especially when I only got C in English language. But well done on getting The A* :smile:

''I was just saying'' ''I was just saying'' sorry about this repetition haha
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by abcx
Lol I wasn't trying to brag about getting a B. I was just saying because I chose a fairly unsuitable poem because we hadn't really studied the other choices much, so I was just saying it to show people it's not the end of world, especially when I only got C in English language. But well done on getting The A* :smile:

''I was just saying'' ''I was just saying'' sorry about this repetition haha

I wasn't meant to brag either, I was surprised as I had a B/B+ in coursework.

Then I owned that Of Mice and Men question, but I thought I did horribly in the poems section...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending