The Student Room Group
Reply 1
you need to draw a venn diagram
Reply 2
Arsey
you need to draw a venn diagram

Did that, but still can't figure out P(B).
Reply 3
well question A) answer is 0.6 recurring. (assuming thatP(A' n B' = P(A and B). all you do is 0.4/0.6=0.66666666667

Can you plz explain in words what B) and C) are supposed to mean?
Reply 4
P(B) = P(B n A) + P(B u A) - P(A)

i learnt this myself today :biggrin:

for P(A n B) you can use whats given in the formulea book. is this for the s1 exam on thursday? im doing it too
Reply 5
levantine
well question A) answer is 0.6 recurring. (assuming thatP(A' n B' = P(A and B). all you do is 0.4/0.6=0.66666666667

Can you plz explain in words what B) and C) are supposed to mean?

B) P(A intersection B)
C) P(A union B)

By the way, how did you get P(B) in the first place? Can you explain the logic behind this please :u:
Reply 6
x_mee_x
P(B) = P(B n A) + P(B u A) - P(A)

i learnt this myself today :biggrin:

for P(A n B) you can use whats given in the formulea book. is this for the s1 exam on thursday? im doing it too

Yes it is, and I haven't done Probability, Normal Distribution or Discrete Random Variables :s:

Although I reckon I can complete Discrete Random Variables. It's just Probability that I'm stuck with.

The problem with the solution is that I haven't got P(A) or P(B n A) or P(B u A) :frown:
Tunde Onabajo
I am so bad with probability it is unbelievable. Here is the question:

"P(A') = 0.6, P(A' n B') = 0.4, P(A n B') = 0.1

Calculate:

A) P(B)
B) P(A n B)
C) P(A u B)"

I am especially interested in the Part A question. How do I go about solving this?

Thanks for all the help.

It has been a long time since I did S1 but I think these are the answers:

P(B) = 1 - [P(A n B') + P(A' n B')] = 1 - 0.5 = 0.5
P(A n B) = 1 - [P(A)' + P(A n B')] = 1 - 0.7 = 0.3
Reply 8
anonnumber6
It has been a long time since I did S1 but I think these are the answers:

P(B) = 1 - [P(A n B') + P(A' n B')] = 1 - 0.5 = 0.5
P(A n B) = 1 - [P(A)' + P(A n B')] = 1 - 0.7 = 0.3

You are correct :biggrin: . Can you explain to me your reasoning, especially for P(B).

Never have I given a rep, but I think this will be my first time of doing such. You are a life saver if you can give me the reasoning for P(B) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Tunde Onabajo
You are correct :biggrin: . Can you explain to me your reasoning, especially for P(B).

Never have I given a rep, but I think this will be my first time of doing such. You are a life saver if you can give me the reasoning for P(B) :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

It's hard to describe with words so I made a quick picture:wink:

So the total sample space is 1 but we want to find just P(B) which I haven't labbelled but it is the circle on the right. The black area represents the probability we want to find so you can see if you add the first two circles together the circle not included is B so if you do one minus the sum of the first two venn diagrams you get B.
Reply 10
Tunde Onabajo
Yes it is, and I haven't done Probability, Normal Distribution or Discrete Random Variables :s:

Although I reckon I can complete Discrete Random Variables. It's just Probability that I'm stuck with.

The problem with the solution is that I haven't got P(A) or P(B n A) or P(B u A)
:frown:

simple way to solve this, as mentioned above, is to use a venn diagram. it is very unlikely that you would be given this question without enough of the respective probabilities to work out the rest.

having drawn a venn diagram, i worked out that P(A) is 0.4, P(B) is 0.5, and P(A n B) is 0.3. hope this helps and good luck for the exam on thursday
Reply 11
anonnumber6

It's hard to describe with words so I made a quick picture:wink:

So the total sample space is 1 but we want to find just P(B) which I haven't labbelled but it is the circle on the right. The black area represents the probability we want to find so you can see if you add the first two circles together the circle not included is B so if you do one minus the sum of the first two venn diagrams you get B.

Rep awarded. I see where I went wrong. I forgot that the intersection was also a part of B.

Have a brilliant evening :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending