The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

theepw
Hiya,
I dont want to completely hijack this thread. But I do have a question about my eye sight. None of my parents wear glasses apart from reading. There are no known hereditory conditions in my family. However, I have noticed for some months that my right eye is ever so slightly blurry, especially when looking into the distance. However, my left eye is perfectly fine. I just have two questions:

1) Is this a major problem? Will this situation correct itself over time, ie. my stronger eye will compensate?
2) In almost ever photo I have taken of me, I have 'red eye' in it. Is that any problem with the eye? Its just it happens every photo, is that a problem?

Thanks, and I hope someone can answer my questions.

now, some researches say its hereditory but others dont
however, ur 6.41 tomes more likely to have glasses (myopic) if even one of ur parents wears glasses
as for the weak eye, i do suggst u to get glasses if one ey is crapper than the other, or else u may develop a squint whichll put other ppl off lol
as for the red eye, that makes no sense and dont worry about it, probabaly the way ur looking at the camara... myopia dont have any visual traits if u dont wear glasses

hope this helps :smile:
@theepw You should get that checked out asap. It might be a condition called Amblyopia. That's what I had between the ages of about 3/4 to 14. It's usually uncurable, but if you catch the symptoms early, it can be treated and eventually 'exterminated' (sorry, couldn't think of a better word, because the condition isn't cured exactly, it can come back, I think). Usually it's inherited, but there are exceptions to every rule.
And the red eye thing is the light of the camera flash reflecting back from the inside your eyes, don't worry. That's normal. You can get rid of the red eye in the photos really easily though. If they're digital, a good photo editor or, if not, you can always get them done at the developers, but they charge extra I think....
@AT82 - get glasses.
But, if you've got myopia, I have bad news for you. It's unlikely that it'll get any better until you reach middle age - then it'll start improving. Whoever said that it steadies out after puberty wasn't entirely correct. I can't speak for everyone, but for most people, the condition actually steadily gets worse. Just at different rates for different people. There are exceptions, and probably quite a few of them, where people's eyes start getting better in their 20s etc.
If you don't get glasses, you strain your eyes, they get tired, they therefore deteriorate quickly. If you get glasses, your eyes become 'greedy' and also deteriorate - it's a lose-lose situation for those of us with myopia and aren't able to have laser treatment due to having rugby-shaped eyeballs. Fun. You can have laser treatment, which is effective, so I've heard. Talk to an opthalmologist, that's what I'd do :smile:.
There are ways of slowing down the deterioration of the eyes - as people have already said: take 5 minute breaks every half hour (I usually fifteen minutes every hour, because it's not actually possible to interrupt your work every half an hour...)when using the computer, reading, working, etc. and move your eyes around, look at something green (naturally green), like grass. When reading, or doing any work, make sure there is plenty of light. Do NOT read outside, when it is sunny - the glare reflects of the paper into the eyes, and is bad. Try to avoid books with small print. Make sure you get enough sleep (at least 8 at night, but 10 is usually better), and if you start having headaches for reasons other than being hungover, rest your eyes.
Hope this helps ><.
Reply 23
AT82
Ah well, to be honest I am not at all surprised I have been pushing my luck with spending 10 hours a day in front of a monitor for 5 years :biggrin:

I guess glasses will just make me look more geeky :biggrin: I used to need glasses as a kid but the last time I went he said my eye sight had improved, it always used to be close up stuff though.

At least my hips are still working :wink:

geeks are hot :cool: don't worry about that,just get glasses.you have short sightedness
Reply 24
After a year at uni, I noticed that my eyesight had got worse. I know have to wear glasses. The optician said it is fairly common for people at uni finding they need glasses. She said it is probably because you are straining your eyes with reading and watching projector presentations all the time, and so your eyesight (or lack of it) becomes more noticeable.

I was quite worried because I can only see through one eye anyhow, but apparently it is just normal wear and tear and nothing that will lead to complete blindness! Yay! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending