The Student Room Group

BBC documentary on gay footballers

Scroll to see replies

lm_wfc
Did you read my post or just see 4 words you had read before and start bashing your keyboard?

My bad. Still, strength goes out of the window in La Liga and Serie A anyway. Even then, in England, Arsenal are a bunch of softies but always seemingly finish in the top four. You don't need to be like Stoke to survive in the Premier League.
Reply 61
gingerrama
It's highly probable that there are gay players in the PL and elsewhere, and the fact none of them feel that they can be open about their sexuality is a sad state of affairs. No-one's expecting them to flaunt their sexuality in anyone's faces, or stage a feature length coming out TV special.

It sounds like thats exactly what people are expecting. Why is it a sad state affairs? Have you ever considered its not that they 'don't feel they can be open' but that they just don't consider its anyones business? Ever considered that maybe they want to keep their private lives private?

Do you feel the need to make the details of what goes on in your bedroom and your sexuality public?
tropical-twist3
I think they are pretty different things in this case...

What I'm really saying is that do they really need to come out publicly? There may be many who are out, privately, to their friends and family etc...so why do they need to broadcast their sexuality to the wider public??!
NDGAARONDI
Looking at the winners of the CL I can't see a team really known for strength/power outright. The closest was Chelsea.

What about the team that won last week..? Massively physically dependent team are Inter.

I don't think there's a lack of good Asian football players, especially in areas like Leicester and near where I live where there are more Asian people. If you look at the Leicester City reserves and youth team there are several Asian players.
I reckon it must be a cultural thing, maybe Asian people are more career and familial minded and thus don't want to chance their future on something quite so short and unstable as professional football?

As for gay players, I imagine it's difficult enough without the cases of Fashanu and Roberts(?), that Welsh rugby player, putting them off coming out because of the massive abuse they got.
white_haired_wizard
What I'm really saying is that do they really need to come out publicly? There may be many who are out, privately, to their friends and family etc...so why do they need to broadcast their sexuality to the wider public??!

Oh yeah I get what you mean but I don't think that's the point...I mean there's so much interest in their private lives that you'd think you would find out anyway unless they actively keep it secret. I think the point is it's a shame/not right/not fair that they feel they have to keep it secret rather than choosing to.
Reply 65
NDGAARONDI
My bad. Still, strength goes out of the window in La Liga and Serie A anyway. Even then, in England, Arsenal are a bunch of softies but always seemingly finish in the top four. You don't need to be like Stoke to survive in the Premier League.

Not all clubs have arsenals funds and training set up do they though?
lm_wfc

They could if they were as astute as Arsene Wenger and behind the scenes at Arsenal, they haven't always had it easy.
Reply 67
theamazingconquistadore
They could if they were as astute as Arsene Wenger and behind the scenes at Arsenal, they haven't always had it easy.

Why is everyone talking about the top 4 clubs? theres 92 league clubs, they dont repeesent everyone.

a) Even with a manger as astute as wenger, clubs anywhere below the uefa cup places still wouldnt have it as easy due to reputation for siging players. And cheap transfer mean f all if you're paying high wages. Clubs like arsenal also have it easy with the youth system, they can just pick up teenagers lower clubs have invested years in and pay them a few thousand in compensation.

b) Strength is important.
lm_wfc
Why is everyone talking about the top 4 clubs? theres 92 league clubs, they dont repeesent everyone.

a) Even with a manger as astute as wenger, clubs anywhere below the uefa cup places still wouldnt have it as easy due to reputation for siging players. And cheap transfer mean f all if you're paying high wages. Clubs like arsenal also have it easy with the youth system, they can just pick up teenagers lower clubs have invested years in and pay them a few thousand in compensation.

b) Strength is important.

I agree with you 100% about strength by the way, it's why the teams Mourinho built have done so well, because they were probably the most physically powerful combined with technically sound. Re; Chelsea, Inter (in my previous post).

Having said that, I'm not sure what your point in point a) is about :ninja:
aeonflux
It sounds like thats exactly what people are expecting. Why is it a sad state affairs? Have you ever considered its not that they 'don't feel they can be open' but that they just don't consider its anyones business? Ever considered that maybe they want to keep their private lives private?

Do you feel the need to make the details of what goes on in your bedroom and your sexuality public?

What people exactly? I for one certainly don't. And as I already said, broadcasting what goes on in their bedrooms is an entirely different thing; but are you seriously suggesting that any gay footballers are hiding their sexuality 100% through choice rather than because they even slightly feel that they have to because of the homophobic attitudes that persist within the game?
lm_wfc

Harry Redknapp's Bournemouth were a joy to watch. It can be done.
Reply 71
NDGAARONDI
Harry Redknapp's Bournemouth were a joy to watch. It can be done.

was that a joke?
lm_wfc
was that a joke?

The point stands that you don't need massive funds to play good football. Look at Blackpool fora recent example.
theamazingconquistadore
The point stands that you don't need massive funds to play good football. Look at Blackpool fora recent example.

Exactly my point. My football side at Commonwealth Hall, when I was at Goldsmiths, played some right sexy football at times. :sexface: A fair few goals from chips and backheels by me if I don't say so myself. :cool: One-two touch passing was quite common too. :wink:
Reply 74
theamazingconquistadore

I didnt say you did.

I'm saying IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP AND BELOW, STRENGTH IS IMPORTANT.

one more time for everyone:
IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP AND BELOW, STRENGTH IS IMPORTANT
Reply 75
NDGAARONDI
I've always felt that physical prowess was overrated and overstated in its importance in the English league, despite supporting the most powerful side in Europe, arguably. You won't compete with a team of major softies but not everyone needs to be made out of steel otherwise the likes of Modric and Arshavin would have moved on by now etc.

At the top level, yeah, that's very true. These players weren't scouted in the English system though and I think that is key - look at the amount of pint sized superstars plying their trade in Spain, which I believe is a direct consequence of their talent based youth policy.

Look at the lower leagues, loads of players that are stocky, 6"1 ish. They are the sort of lads that make the grade. (Good, English...)
izaldo
At the top level, yeah, that's very true. These players weren't scouted in the English system though and I think that is key - look at the amount of pint sized superstars plying their trade in Spain, which I believe is a direct consequence of their talent based youth policy.

Look at the lower leagues, loads of players that are stocky, 6"1 ish. They are the sort of lads that make the grade. (Good, English...)

That's true. Well, it's about time the lower leagues changed. It's the only way I think that more English players are going to ply their trade abroad. That's why I don't want to start football coaching in England, instead I'd go to Italy. :sexface:
Reply 77
gingerrama
What people exactly? I for one certainly don't. And as I already said, broadcasting what goes on in their bedrooms is an entirely different thing; but are you seriously suggesting that any gay footballers are hiding their sexuality 100% through choice rather than because they even slightly feel that they have to because of the homophobic attitudes that persist within the game?

The OP and the general suggestions made throughout the thread imply that there must be something wrong in football because there aren't loads of publicly gay footballers.

I'm not saying that there isn't a proportion of football fans who are homophobic, thats undeniable, just as theres a proportion of the general populations that is homophobic. I'm just arguing that not having openly gay footballers is not evidence of a problem in the game, more likely its just evidence that most footballers have the good sense to keep what goes on in their bedroom separate from what goes on on the pitch, which is surely the way it should be.
Reply 78
NDGAARONDI
That's true. Well, it's about time the lower leagues changed. It's the only way I think that more English players are going to ply their trade abroad. That's why I don't want to start football coaching in England, instead I'd go to Italy. :sexface:

Word.

If I (was good enough to be a pro and) couldn't play for Liverpool I'd be offski to mediterrania, no two ways about it.

I'd like to play for Bologna.

Sadly, GEL's don't tend to appreciate the EU freedom of movement until they are 55ish...
izaldo
Word.

If I (was good enough to be a pro and) couldn't play for Liverpool I'd be offski to mediterrania, no two ways about it.

I'd like to play for Bologna.

Sadly, GEL's don't tend to appreciate the EU freedom of movement until they are 55ish...

I've been thinking of going to Bologna for university. The flip side to English players not going abroad is that certain clubs may be able to keep hold of quality players. That way you're not being used as a feeder/developing club like Arsenal.

Quick Reply

Latest