The Student Room Group

What do you wear to the gym?!?!

Basically, I need to join the gym, I don't really know what to wear, my only pair of "loose" trousers make me look like I'm wearing pyjamas. Someone suggested I wear leggings but.. do people wear leggings to the gym?!

ALSO, the only pair of trainers I own are a pair of quite ancient babychams, which means they do not look too dissimilar to this http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=6217964. :/ Is it okay to wear trainers like this?! I feel quite embarrassed leaving the house in them haha.

Basically.. what I want to know is.. what do YOU wear to the gym?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wear a pair of black tracksuit bottoms that I got from Tesco for £3 and just a loose fitting, casual tshirt. Usually one of my cheerleading training tops (emblazoned with pompoms and goddesses how embarrassing!). My trainers are just like Levis with a pink stripe.

I think your trainers will be absolutely fine, I've seen a lot of people in similar stuff at the gym. I'd wear those trainers myself. In terms of the leggings situation yeah if you have a relatively good body you could get away with it or you could get some athletic sweat shorts, they'd be pretty good if you didn't want to wear long trousers.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, people won't really be marking you on your fashion sense at the gym. I look like a right wreck when I go sometimes. :lol:
Reply 2
I thought leggings would be weird but at my gym, hardly any girls wear joggers :s-smilie: I usually wear leggings (that aren't see-through) and a baggy top.
Sometimes black shorts, sometimes track suit bottoms and sometimes leggings.

Normal simple traines - Baggy Tshirt

Personally, I don't pay attention to what other people wear so I can't say whether you should/shouldnt wear those trainers
Reply 4
Oh and I used to wear Babychams to the gym! :smile:
I wear navy school PE shorts - i got some nice baggy ones from nike ages ago. A white top, its kind of fitted but not too tight. And some asics trainers that I got from sports world. And a sports bra.
Sweat pants and a t-shirt. Or shorts and a vest.
Reply 7
Shorts, t-shirt and sneakers.
Reply 8
I wear a t shirt, trackies and a van on one foot and a converse on the other.
Reply 9
If you're worrying about how you look in the gym you're doing it wrong. Wear comfortable, non-restrictive clothes.
I wear navy blue three quarter dance pants (for anyone who doesn't know, they aren't knickers, up north they are trousers :lol:) which I got from Pineapple.
I wear a black vest top. And over that, a big baggy t-shirt.
My trainers I think are Addidas and they are proper running trainers.

I look a right state when I go to the gym :p:
I wear some loose fitting boys nike shorts, a vest top and then a very cheap pair of trainers. The shoes are really important I think, especially if you are using the treadmill.
You want a good sports pair and not like the ones you posted in your post. They could cause knee problems and all sorts.
Reply 12
i wear anything big and loose, tbh i probably look like im wearing pyjamas but i couldnt care less... its the GYM, i dont think anyone cares :s-smilie:
I don't think I've ever paid attention to what anyone wears at the gym - and I'm a lover of fashion, trust me. Oh, actually, that's a lie - one guy was in this tight sleeveless vest which is always so difficult to look at. :lolwut:

I have worn most things the gym - from a cropped sports bra top with leggings to random cotto shift dresses over leggings, to huge xxl t-shirts with shorts - when you're at the gym everyday then it's all about what is clean. The only essentials are a sports bra, socks and trainers :p:.
Reply 14
Shorts with a large t-shirt.
Plenty of people wear leggings, but like actual sports ones. I'd also pick up a cheap pair of sports trainers also.
But no one cares that much, you just need to be comfortable to do sport :smile:
Reply 15
Nothing :o:
Reply 16
Shorts Tshirts and Pumps!1!1!!!!1!!!!!!1
Reply 17
Some fairly baggy shorts, a (very soft :love:) t-shirt, football socks & some old badminton trainers my brother grew out of years ago
Reply 18
3 piece suit, but then I dont go to a gym with commoners :pierre:
Reply 19
i havent been in ages but when i did go i used to wear a pair of green combat like trouser which are loose fitting, a pair of trainers and a sleeveless top so i wasnt too warm but more covered and secure than just wearing a vest top. just wear what you feel comfortable in and no-one minds what trainers you wear. if you feel embarassed going out in your trainers wear whatever shoes you normally wear and take the trainers in a bag so you can change into them at the gym :-)

Latest