The Student Room Group

What do they mean by "upper second class degree"

When talking about the entry requirements for a masters? I had assumed it meant a 2:1, but then one of my tutors told me that usually a high 2:1 is required, and now I'm totally confused and don't know whether "upper second class" means any sort of 2:1 at all, or if they say that but really they mean that you need a good 2:1.
Do they really only want people with very good 2:1's but can't say that directly...for some reason? I don't know now and i've started to think it's all some sort of conspiracy to confuse people :eek3:
So if I get a low 2:1, possible even a really low, barely scraped it 2:1, would I still stand a chance of getting accepted on a course that asks for "an upper second class degree"?
And if i'm not applying for funding, does that make it easier to get a place?
I'm doing philosophy if that makes any difference.
Reply 1
2:1 is an upper second class degree.

Whether you should be doing a masters if you only scrape a 2:1 is perhaps more the issue for consideration? (not being nasty, just it probably gets even harder?)
Reply 2
A comfortable 2:1
I think it just means a 2.1, or perhaps a little bit higher than a just-scraped-it 2.1. Some places will accept lower than a 2.1 for masters depending on the course/popularity etc, you just have to do your research.
Reply 4
Upper second class degree simply means 2:1. Most postgrad departments however would ideally like you to possess 65%+ in your undergrad before you embark on a postgrad course.
It means 2:1.
It means any 2:1
Reply 7
wallflower*
When talking about the entry requirements for a masters? I had assumed it meant a 2:1, but then one of my tutors told me that usually a high 2:1 is required, and now I'm totally confused and don't know whether "upper second class" means any sort of 2:1 at all, or if they say that but really they mean that you need a good 2:1.
Do they really only want people with very good 2:1's but can't say that directly...for some reason? I don't know now and i've started to think it's all some sort of conspiracy to confuse people :eek3:
So if I get a low 2:1, possible even a really low, barely scraped it 2:1, would I still stand a chance of getting accepted on a course that asks for "an upper second class degree"?
And if i'm not applying for funding, does that make it easier to get a place?
I'm doing philosophy if that makes any difference.

I don't think there's any real reason to suspect ulterior motives; if they don't explicitly state they want high 2.1s, that means they're hoping to attract applicants with lowish 2.1s as well, and there'd be no point at all in attracting them if they wouldn't consider giving offers to some of them. So if a department only states its requirements as "an upper second class degree", you have to assume they mean what they say, i.e. as long as you've got a 2.1 you're in with a chance (though no-one can tell you how high that chance is exactly). Obviously it's possible that they still favour applicants with high 2.1s, but as you've got no way of verifying how much emphasis they place on grades and how many of your fellow applicants got better 2.1s, you might as well not worry about this, to be honest.:dontknow:

Being able to self-fund probably won't help you to get offers, but of course it'll come in very handy once you've got an offer.

Latest

Trending

Trending