The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
On rep basis Warwick is higher than SOAS
Reply 2
pk007
I have politics and international studies phd offers at both soas and warwick. As an international student, I do not have the ability to visit these schools, any thoughts or advice as to what would have the best reputation. Any other opinions are also most welcome!

At the undergraduate and at the master's level Warwick is far better reputationally than SOAS.
SOAS is fairly unknown in the graduate job market in the UK.
Those who know of it think of it as a bit of a joke university full of drug using, far left wing, hippie kids

It does have an ok reputation in the academic world, but even there, Warwick would easily trump SOAS.
However, it does depend on your supervisor.
At the PhD level, if your supervisor at SOAS is the leading expert in his field, choose SOAS.
Otherwise, choose Warwick.
Reply 3
The man speaks the truth :smile: but i would also recommend Politics and international studies at Hull university which ranks highly in this feild. :yep: SOAS is very far left/ communism with regards to the political ideologies which students at the university have.:eek3:
Reply 4
warwick
Reply 5
thanks for the advice people! I have spoken to many profs here, and two have been very assertive in their recommendation of SOAS only bc in North America "London" is more known then Warwick or Coventry. Both supervisor's are excellent, however the SOAS supervisor deals with my issue of interest dead on, where as Warwick the supervisor is general to the field and has an excellent opinion. To top it off, both of these profs work together on government projects! which is why I am having such a hard time deciding.
Reply 6
Warwick! You'll love it.
Reply 7
pk007
North America "London" is more known then Warwick or Coventry. Both supervisor's are excellent, however the SOAS supervisor deals with my issue of interest dead on, where as Warwick the supervisor is general to the field and has an excellent opinion. To top it off, both of these profs work together on government projects! which is why I am having such a hard time deciding.

Then in your circumstances, you should probably choose SOAS.
(A UK student would almost certainly choose Warwick.)
Reply 8
Depends on your politics aswell, if you're right wing you'll hate SOAS with a vengeance. It has a reputation of being one of the most left wing unis in the country. Even here at QMUL, which is fairly lefty, we poke fun at SOAS for being a bunch of Communist Palestinian huggers.

Warwick is much less of a activist politically charged university, plus living expenses are cheaper and you have a campus unlike with SOAS which is based in the centre of London.
Reply 9
flugestuge
At the undergraduate and at the master's level Warwick is far better reputationally than SOAS.
SOAS is fairly unknown in the graduate job market in the UK.
Those who know of it think of it as a bit of a joke university full of drug using, far left wing, hippie kids

It does have an ok reputation in the academic world, but even there, Warwick would easily trump SOAS.
However, it does depend on your supervisor.
At the PhD level, if your supervisor at SOAS is the leading expert in his field, choose SOAS.
Otherwise, choose Warwick.

Really, its unknown in the grad market? Its my Firm for Econ, they want AAA? Ive talked to many SOAS grads, two of such who are at Goldman Sachs, others at the World Bank and some doing masters at LSE/Columbia/Oxbridge.
Reply 10
hamzab
Really, its unknown in the grad market? Its my Firm for Econ, they want AAA? Ive talked to many SOAS grads, two of such who are at Goldman Sachs, others at the World Bank and some doing masters at LSE/Columbia/Oxbridge.

But you're reapplying, so what the ****....
Reply 11
SOAS purely because it's in London.
Don't underestimate SOAS, i think it might actually have a better rep globally (i take this only from anecdotal ends)
Reply 13
SOAS cant be compared to warwick undergrad even postgrad, but OP in ur situation if their is a supervisor then go for SOAS otherwise warwick will open doors.

SOAS is ..... it only has like 4,000 students, we have prob the same amount of staff. lol
Reply 14
Focus08
But you're reapplying, so what the ****....

I am, but Im gonna be applying for the top 5-10 so its risky getting offers mate!
pk007
Both supervisor's are excellent, however the SOAS supervisor deals with my issue of interest dead on, where as Warwick the supervisor is general to the field and has an excellent opinion.

Who would your politics supervisor be at SOAS? What area of politics are you focusing in btw? The politics department at SOAS can be amazing in some areas, but in others its really hit or miss :s-smilie:
Reply 16
drive like june
Who would your politics supervisor be at SOAS? What area of politics are you focusing in btw? The politics department at SOAS can be amazing in some areas, but in others its really hit or miss :s-smilie:

my research would be fixed on immigration and diaspora terrorism/long distance nationalism (looking at globalization affect on immigration hubs). At SOAS my supervisor is set to be Fiona Adamson, who two Profs from my home school have published with (they have said great things about her). She used to teach at UCL, and did her schooling in the US. When I initially began this application process I had my heart set on Warwick. But it was interesting to note that a lot of Profs pointed me to her when I discussed my topic. London itself is in many ways a bigger headache (space/$ wise), however my interest lies in having a degree with a strong reputation, and between the two SOAS seems to have more global notoriaty.
pk007
At SOAS my supervisor is set to be Fiona Adamson, who two Profs from my home school have published with

Looking at her list of publications, her interests probably do overlap nicely with yours:
http://www.soas.ac.uk/staff/staff36218.php

That probably outweighs the general crappiness of SOAS.
Reply 18
flugestuge
Looking at her list of publications, her interests probably do overlap nicely with yours:
http://www.soas.ac.uk/staff/staff36218.php

That probably outweighs the general crappiness of SOAS.

lol yes, it is true. All of these "complaints" I have heard about before, so its more about making the choice that stands to benefit my career in the future. I do agree that Warwick internally may have a better reputation, however internationally I am not sure that is the case. Moreover, I wonder if there is a difference when considering the type of degree being pursued (surely there will be a difference between a student undertaking bachelor studies vs a doctorate).

The fact that SOAS is linked to U of L, is a key factor for me, as in North America it is a more known city, institution etc. Again, I was initially hoping to attend Warwick, so with an acceptance from SOAS I am fairly confused as to what to do!
pk007
my research would be fixed on immigration and diaspora terrorism/long distance nationalism (looking at globalization affect on immigration hubs). At SOAS my supervisor is set to be Fiona Adamson, who two Profs from my home school have published with (they have said great things about her). She used to teach at UCL, and did her schooling in the US. When I initially began this application process I had my heart set on Warwick. But it was interesting to note that a lot of Profs pointed me to her when I discussed my topic. London itself is in many ways a bigger headache (space/$ wise), however my interest lies in having a degree with a strong reputation, and between the two SOAS seems to have more global notoriaty.

Oh ok, yeah she does seem to fit your interests very well. My friend had her as his personal tutor who said she was nice. And I've had other friends who took her third year half module. Heard the teaching was a bit so-so, but can't comment on anything beyond that as a supervisor, sorry :s-smilie:. But if you have questions about SOAS or the politics department in general, maybe I could answer some. Anywhooo...good luck with your decision.

Latest

Trending

Trending