The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

River85
How much do you learn about rational choice theory, voting behaviour, structualism and post-structualism, political philosophy and political thought (Burke, Augustine, Mill, Bentham, Marx, Rawls) and theories of International Relations (Realism, Idealism) from reading the economist.

Politics is more than just looking at contemporary events. In fact, depending on the degree and modules, there doesn't need to be a great amount of that.

Sick burn, bro, but your sig needs more Wilko Johnson :rolleyes:
innerhollow
Oh god that girl in your avatar is incredibly cute. I feel like I could stare at her cheeky little smile and innocent little hand movements forever! SHe's just so... aw... I just love her so much! :love:

haha yup, funny you say that, i stumbled across her on youtube and thought she was a ******* idiot

each to their own i suppose bud

but ya, seems there's some sort of conspiracy going on, there are claims she got hit by a train, but also claims she's alive, hiding out somewhere, and then u got the whole longface thing and the youtube account hackers, u got photos of her house, photo comparisons, there's a website about the Boxxy conspiracy, the 'pre-youtube' Boxxy, the 'post-youtube' Boxxy

its shocking
Reply 22
LOL @ Topic

Of course it is a Mickey Mouse degree.
RBarack
It isn't a particularly versatile degree. You don't need to study politics to become a politician. Hell, I can't think of a single politician who studied politics as a single honours degree. It's not a particularly hard degree either. Like many other humanities degrees, it doesn't open many doors for employment. As a social science subject, it doesn't compare to economics. Nor does it compare to an engineering, law, medical, economics, natural science or mathematics graduate in terms of employment. It's a little wish-washy. As a first year Civil Engineer, I probably know more about global issues than your typical politics student. Purely because I read the economist and newspapers on a regular basis, whilst (i'm sure) many politics students don't.

As I said, I don't consider it a mickey mouse degree (i.e. completely pointless; in my opinion, a cheap way for universities to teach students whilst using them as a source of funding). I should have elaborated on my second statement - nor is it the best degree out there. Let's face it, employment prospects aren't particularly lucrative for the typical politics graduate, unless of course you studied at Oxbridge or another top 7 or 8 institute.

Of course what i'm saying is completely opinionated. Many graduates aren't looking for lucrative or well paid jobs.

You just have to look at the statistics for average graduate salaries, and salaries say 10 years down the road. They aren't particularly great for politics graduates. In fact i'm inclined to say politics graduates come out with lower starting salaries than at least 20 of the different degrees out there.

I will admit: I strongly considered a politics degree when applying to university. But do you actually have to study it as a degree if you're interested in it? I read up on contemporary political issues on a regular basis, I don't need to study it as a degree.

And let me guess, Computer Science degrees are about learning how to fix Windows right? I'm afraid you don't know what you are talking about there mate, but it is common for science students to have this kind of ignorance about the social sciences.
-----------------

Political Science is definitely not a MM degree, but its worth, like most subjects (notable exceptions like Medicine and Dentistry aside), is heavily dependent on the quality of course, which usually means that usual suspects (Oxbridge, LSE etc) count quite a lot more than the lower tier places. My other half does Pol. Sci, and the range of courses she studies goes from philosophy and game theory to more "concrete" topics such as law, political institutions and international relations. It is definitely not about reading the newspaper - it is good to keep your pulse on current affairs and they might spring up interesting case studies every now and again, but it is not what the subject is about.
Reply 24
YES!!!

A few of my friends study this, and the hours (or lack of) that they have to "put in" to obtain a good grade are minimal.

Better than some courses, but compared to hard sciences it's a joke!

Put it this way, do you see thousands of Chinese or Indian students flocking over here to study "politics?!"..................quite.
RBarack
It isn't a particularly versatile degree. You don't need to study politics to become a politician. Hell, I can't think of a single politician who studied politics as a single honours degree. It's not a particularly hard degree either. Like many other humanities degrees, it doesn't open many doors for employment. As a social science subject, it doesn't compare to economics. Nor does it compare to an engineering, law, medical, economics, natural science or mathematics graduate in terms of employment. It's a little wish-washy. As a first year Civil Engineer, I probably know more about global issues than your typical politics student. Purely because I read the economist and newspapers on a regular basis, whilst (i'm sure) many politics students don't.

As I said, I don't consider it a mickey mouse degree (i.e. completely pointless; in my opinion, a cheap way for universities to teach students whilst using them as a source of funding). I should have elaborated on my second statement - nor is it the best degree out there. Let's face it, employment prospects aren't particularly lucrative for the typical politics graduate, unless of course you studied at Oxbridge or another top 7 or 8 institute.

Of course what i'm saying is completely opinionated. Many graduates aren't looking for lucrative or well paid jobs.

You just have to look at the statistics for average graduate salaries, and salaries say 10 years down the road. They aren't particularly great for politics graduates. In fact i'm inclined to say politics graduates come out with lower starting salaries than at least 20 of the different degrees out there.

I will admit: I strongly considered a politics degree when applying to university. But do you actually have to study it as a degree if you're interested in it? I read up on contemporary political issues on a regular basis, I don't need to study it as a degree.

Global issues? :curious: Because that's all my degree contains..
when will people realise no such thing as a micky mouse degree...
and when people say certain subjects are, do they realise that someone puts all their time and effort into studying that subject, that subject they have a passion for and love?!, it doesnt matter what you think of it, all that matters is you love your "brilliant" subject...
every degree is just as hard, every degree requires as much work,
i challenge anyone that thinks there are "micky mouse degrees" to study one of them! lets see what you come out with! how "easy" you find it!

some people are just idiots!
RBarack

I think you're quite confused at to what a "mickey mouse" degree is. These are non-traditional non-academic degrees. It's not really anything to do with how well paid you are down the line or your graduate prospects. History, english literature etc, are all not mickey mouse degrees, yet they don't lead to a specific career and might not even have that good "graduate prospects" (I don't know, I'm not ridiculous enough to spend my time reading graduate prospects ratings :rolleyes:). Whereas a "mickey mouse" subject like 'abuse studies' (man met) or 'dance' might be more likely to get you a job, as they're very specific. That doesn't stop them from being mickey mouse.
Reply 28
This seems ludicrous. First point is that I'd say it doesn't really impact on jobs. A politics graduate can go on to do most high paying jobs potentially - banking, finance, law, consultancy.

I think people wrongly assume that people HAVE to have a job related to their degree, which is of course very naive and, basically, wrong. Perhaps people doing science/engineering do not like the thought of someone doing better than them in the employment world without having to have studied something that didn't bore them to death. (Now, this won't be the case for all science students of course, but many simply to engineering, for example, because they think it will lead to a high paying job, when in fact there are far more that are more lucrative if that is what you're after.)

And to the person to wrote about Chinese and Indian students not coming over to do Politics - that is a complete misunderstanding of culture. With my other-half being Chinese x Indian and my friendship group being mostly Asian, I can tell you that the reason they don't often come over to study Arts subjects is that it's simply not in the culture. There's a greater emphasis on taking an education that DIRECTLY leads to a job BEFORE you even start university. Some areas in their respective countries are still developing, so the emphasis is on doing something where they can SEE immediately where they will end up, and thus have job security and in turn financial security. Even in the cities where these countries are very developed, the culture persists simply because culture doesn't die quickly.

People need to broaden their mind and stop thinking they have to make career choices are A Level.
Reply 29
I dont really see what the debate is here, anyone with half a brain can see that its not a Micky Mouse subject , its well respected, covers a wide range of topics and at top uni's far from easy to get onto.

Some people seem to be answering the question "Is it the hardest degree out there?" or "Is it the most academic degree possible?" answering these the answer would probably be no and it would be some kind of science or similar, but thats not what has been asked.
Reply 30
RBarack
It's not the best, but it's not mickey mouse either.

this.
No, obviously not.

I just knew this thread would be full of fail. :facepalm2:
Reply 32
yes and no...most people just make it a play-around thing and so has has lost most if not all its ethical value!!
MaceyThe
YES!!!

A few of my friends study this, and the hours (or lack of) that they have to "put in" to obtain a good grade are minimal.

Better than some courses, but compared to hard sciences it's a joke!

Put it this way, do you see thousands of Chinese or Indian students flocking over here to study "politics?!"..................quite.

WRONG.
Ok Ill give you some credit. Some arts students I have met are lazy *****, who do the minimal needed at get about 52% scraping a 2.1, but ths dosent mean politics is a useless, wasted degree.

1. because it is versatile. To be good at the degree, you need to have knowledge of history, philosophy, economics and sociology. A friend of mine at leeds is smart as hell and is reading for a Politics degree. he knows moe history and economics than most of their respective single honours students.

2. Ok so it dosent require vigorous mathematics, you bang on about prserving british culture and heritage on this site, who do you think helps to do this ? Ah yes, those 'arts' scholars who are envied by most of the modern world. Arts is one of our strengths, especially in terms of literature, history, art and yep, politics. I can similarly argue that while a science student may be great at physics, they know little about their hertiage or in fact international relations today. They are also ones who have the ability to scrape 2.1s under a much lower % pass mark. I can also argue that science degrees incorporate little outside disciplines, unlike arts degrees.

3. University modular systems allow arts students to improve themselves by taking outside disciplines, which many do. I am reading history next year but will be taking modules in maths and economics, both of which I could have done degrees for.

4. In top unis, (ie. the top 15) some of the smartest students do arts degrees. The politics students I have met in Leeds, Manchester, Bristol and London are amazingy clever in a range of fields, including sciences. yes, they too read science journals. However, if you go to somewhere like South Bank, I perhaps can see why you argue such degrees are futile.

conclusion : Science degrees may incorporate maths but that dosent mean its worth more. We are investing in science atm because we need solutions as to solve global problems whch funny enough, arts students have been banging on about for years. Arts incorporate numerous disciplines, which in itself has a great deal of rigour, and in order to SUCCEED in a arts degree (ie. get a high 2.1 or 1st---> get a good job) a student must put in a vast number of hours, read beyond prescribed syllabi and actually prove that they dont just think in linear terms- unlike a great number of science students I have met.
Reply 34
Please keep all discussion on 'mickey mouse' degrees to this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1283939

Latest

Trending

Trending