The Student Room Group

Worry over stupid mistake in Spanish exam

Hi, today I've just had my Spanish Reading & Writing exams (GCSE, AQA) and there's just one thing bothering me.

I wanted to say "therefore the students would be happy" but got stuck on the "would be" part. I sat there for a couple of minutes and for some reason came out with "seriamos" :eek3: I know, it's not even in the right person! And it's just wrong in every way possible. As soon as the papers were collected I realised and smacked my head on the desk.

I know this might sound silly, worrying about this one mistake but I can't help worrying about whether this will stop me getting a good mark (17-ish/20 for that section) which I really need to make up for a disasterous listening exam.

Throughout the paper I did manage to use: the proper future, the preterite, perfect tense, conditional and imperfect (twice, but the second sounded a little bit weird)

Please tell me I'm not worrying over nothing! I'd really like an A for Spanish as I'm doing it next year at college.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Seriously, I wouldn't really worry! You're using a conditional, which is beyond what is expected of you! As long as you used past, present and future tenses, you're sorted! :smile: Buena suerte!
Reply 2
Lovefoxxx_93
Hi, today I've just had my Spanish Reading & Writing exams (GCSE, AQA) and there's just one thing bothering me.

I wanted to say "therefore the students would be happy" but got stuck on the "would be" part. I sat there for a couple of minutes and for some reason came out with "seriamos" :eek3: I know, it's not even in the right person! And it's just wrong in every way possible. As soon as the papers were collected I realised and smacked my head on the desk.

I know this might sound silly, worrying about this one mistake but I can't help worrying about whether this will stop me getting a good mark (17-ish/20 for that section) which I really need to make up for a disasterous listening exam.

Throughout the paper I did manage to use: the proper future, the preterite, perfect tense, conditional and imperfect (twice, but the second sounded a little bit weird)

Please tell me I'm not worrying over nothing! I'd really like an A for Spanish as I'm doing it next year at college.

Thanks.

Don't panic. I made some silly mistakes as well, but its positive marking in the writing papers so they won't penalise you much for it. If it makes you feel any better, I put 'my mother called me to the supermarket by car' instead of 'my mother took me to the supermarket by car' :s-smilie:
Don't worry, if you included all those tenses, I'm sure you'll have done fantastically, I forgot the imperfect and only used the preterite, future, conditional and a bit of subjunctive.
Reply 3
liviluck
Don't panic. I made some silly mistakes as well, but its positive marking in the writing papers so they won't penalise you much for it. If it makes you feel any better, I put 'my mother called me to the supermarket by car' instead of 'my mother took me to the supermarket by car' :s-smilie:
Don't worry, if you included all those tenses, I'm sure you'll have done fantastically, I forgot the imperfect and only used the preterite, future, conditional and a bit of subjunctive.

Would you really need to use 6 tenses (imperfect, preterite, future, present, condition, subjunctive) to get high marks :s-smilie:
Reply 4
star_5
Would you really need to use 6 tenses (imperfect, preterite, future, present, conditional, subjunctive) to get high marks :s-smilie:

Reply 5
The more tenses you use the better. Conditional is a must if you want an A.

It's a pretty big error, but a valid one. As long as the rest went fairly well I wouldn't worry about it :smile:
Reply 6
Lol, I didn't even know what most of those things were when I did my GCSE languages and got A* and A...one mistake is probably going to affect bugger all in the overall scheme of things.
Reply 7
star_5
Would you really need to use 6 tenses (imperfect, preterite, future, present, condition, subjunctive) to get high marks :s-smilie:

See my post above. x
Reply 8
James4d

It's a pretty big error, but a valid one. As long as the rest went fairly well I wouldn't worry about it :smile:

How many times in the writing would you have to use the conditional?
I know nothing about Spanish, but as general exam advice: don't worry about it now. Whatever's happened has happened, just move on and focus on the next one.
Reply 10
James4d

Actually, my french teacher told me that the conditional isn't in the current spec. It's in the new one though. They like it if you do use it but you don't have to to get an A/A*.
Thanks, everybody. I feel much better now. Better concentrate on my other exams (History eeeuuuuurgghhh!)
Don't worry, you'll be fine. I spelt a word wrong in my Spanish exam this year at uni, and only realised when I got home and checked it. It's no big deal.
I'm OCR, so I don't know if it's the same thing, but the examiners don't negative mark the papers- they don't take marks off for wrong answers. As long as you've put in all your A-grade vocab and tenses, you should be fine. :smile:
liviluck
Actually, my french teacher told me that the conditional isn't in the current spec. It's in the new one though. They like it if you do use it but you don't have to to get an A/A*.

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't say a 'big' error was made. Conditional isn't that hard, and you should use it, but I'd hardly say you wouldn't get an A just because of it. There are tons of other tenses and phrases you can use to boost ur grade up; pluperfect, subjunctive, continuous present, the gerund... everyone in my class's been taught that it's not as hard to get an A as everyone thinks...
liviluck

In different exams they make you use certain tenses I though, like in future questions, it is so that you can use future tense and on the second letter is said what do job so you want in the future, so I used me gustaria, so maybe they might expect people to use it :/
I don't know though
Reply 16
I ended my writing paper

Atentamente,
Candidate Number ####
Reply 17
star_5
How many times in the writing would you have to use the conditional?

I'd say once or twice is enough really. If it works with the rest of your writing, use it more often, can't hurt. As long as the examiners can see your capable of using it you should get the grades :yep:
GCSEs must have changed a lot in the past...2 years...I got an A*, am now doing A level and didn't even know what the conditional/perfect tenses were when I did mine...I don't even think I used the imperfect or future tense!
I'm sure you'll be fine - don't keep worrying about it as there's nothing you can do to change it now, just focus on your other exams! :smile:
Reply 19
James4d
I'd say once or twice is enough really. If it works with the rest of your writing, use it more often, can't hurt. As long as the examiners can see your capable of using it you should get the grades :yep:

i think i just said me gustaria a couple of times

Latest

Trending

Trending