The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You're thick, tough ****.
cruciform
I got average grades and am now on a gap year. I will start a degree in Sept. However I still don't like the idea that I can't get an A. It is very hard; at most I can get B's but to get A's in all modules and an A overall is very hard.
Is it that some people just can't obtain one? I worked very hard and still couldn't get an A. What technique can one actually use?
I hate it how some people say they can get AAB/ABB with ease.

I hear you. I find it difficult to get an A, even in subjects I'm good at.

Subject 1 - 1 UMS off an A now, need 81 UMS on the last exam for an A

Subject 2 - 8 UMS over an A, need 76 UMS average in my last 2 exams to keep my A

Subject 3 - on an E, need 110 UMS from 4 exams (2 resits) for a D, or 170 UMS from those 4 exams for a C

and Subject 4 - is General Studies. on a B for that, would need 84 UMS average on the last 2 exams for an A

A lot of people I know who can get A's fairly easily either have a brilliant work ethic and go to the library a lot (my friend Isabel falls into this category) or they are just brilliant at whatever subjects they do.

To the hard workers, I say well done. To the naturally gifted ones, no offence to them, but sometimes you just really want to see them get one bad exam grade.....

Seeing as you already have a good work ethic, either just look at lots of past papers to see what questions frequently come up, or just memorise the textbook if you have to.
Reply 3
A's are easy if you are good at your subjects and you have good exam technique (People don't always necessarily have both and hence why smart people can still do bad).

Maybe youre just not good at exams. But no, it's certainly not hard. 1 in 8 candidates has AAA at A-level and 1 in 4 grades is an A.
krisblade
A's are easy if you are good at your subjects and you have good exam technique (People don't always necessarily have both and hence why smart people can still do bad).

Maybe youre just not good at exams. But no, it's certainly not hard. 1 in 8 candidates has AAA at A-level and 1 in 4 grades is an A.

is it really that high? or does that include general studies too or something?
Reply 5
With no revision I managed ABB. After one remark and a resit with no revision still, managed AAA.

They're easy.
Reply 6
SouthernFreerider
is it really that high? or does that include general studies too or something?

According to the BBC it's even higher than that:

"Cambridge Assessment says that among pupils taking three or more A-levels in 2009, 17.5% achieved three grade As. "

"Among all A-level students - and not all of them would have taken three exams - the research says that 13% achieved three grade As."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8571080.stm

So yes, it is that high. I cannot say whether it includes General studies as they don't give data, but I would think it would actually be too low if it did include that.

It's simple fact that A-levels can't be hard if 17.5% of those actually taking three subjects get AAA.
krisblade
According to the BBC it's even higher than that:

"Cambridge Assessment says that among pupils taking three or more A-levels in 2009, 17.5% achieved three grade As. "

"Among all A-level students - and not all of them would have taken three exams - the research says that 13% achieved three grade As."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8571080.stm

So yes, it is that high. I cannot say whether it includes General studies as they don't give data, but I would think it would actually be too low if it did include that.

daaaaaaaang.
Reply 8
Most subjects are not easy at all, they just suit some people more than others. I don't think people should brag about getting As with no revision, because all that shows is that you have a crap work ethic and you just breeze through life on natural intelligence without bothering to put the effort in. Saying that, I would love to be able wing it and get the grades I need just based on luck and intelligence, without having to work as hard as I do. I still can't get the As I need and it's infuriating. I wouldn't say A Levels are very hard, but they do require a reasonable amount of effort for most people.

However, I don't think that all A Levels should be considered equivalent. There is no way a Photography or Film Studies A Level is as worthwhile or difficult as a Chemistry, Physics or History (before people have a go saying that I'm biased towards sciences). Many more people are getting AAA at A Level now because they are doing very 'easy' combinations of A Levels, instead of more traditional, respected A Levels. It's these vocational subjects that I believe are belittling the academic value of A Levels.

EDIT: In the second sentence, substitute 'revision' for 'work'. That's really want I meant.
Reply 9
cruciform
I got average grades and am now on a gap year. I will start a degree in Sept. However I still don't like the idea that I can't get an A. It is very hard; at most I can get B's but to get A's in all modules and an A overall is very hard.
Is it that some people just can't obtain one? I worked very hard and still couldn't get an A. What technique can one actually use?

I got AAA with relative ease.

THE TECHNIQUE IS CALLED WORKING.

Now stop ******* about on TSR and do some, you stupid person.
Reply 10
steph_v
Most subjects are not easy at all, they just suit some people more than others. I don't think people should brag about getting As with no revision, because all that shows is that you have a crap work ethic and you just breeze through life on natural intelligence without bothering to put the effort in.

I did my A-levels with very little to no revision depending on the subject - does that mean I have a terrible work ethic? No. Instead of wasting time revising the pointless syllabus of A-levels, I was researching journals and taking part in original research at universities and holding down a job. The time I could of wasted on pointless A-level revision I intend spent widening my knowledge and earning money for uni. Revision isn't the only kind of constructive work out here.
my as and a2 textiles cw are both As and i made my as one in a week. lol :biggrin:
but in the exams some people in my class just cant get the exam technique down and ended up getting Us, but atm ive got Bs in my exams and in the ones i got Cs in, im retaking now alongside the normal A2 exams:smile:
Reems
With no revision I managed ABB. After one remark and a resit with no revision still, managed AAA.

They're easy.

They're easy but you had to do resists in order to get the grades you felt you deserved.

Right :yep:
Reply 13
I don't think that doing little revision is a sign of bad work ethic. I do most of my work during the year and then revise the night before/the morning of to remind myself. At the end of the day, you can know everything word for word but have a **** exam technique and get a C. I find it really difficult to learn things off by heart but I know how to answer exam questions, so I get my grades. I put my work in all year long, that's my work ethic.
Reply 14
Reems

They're easy.

lemme guess you didn't take any of the science related subjects did you ?
theciz
I don't think that doing little revision is a sign of bad work ethic. I do most of my work during the year and then revise the night before/the morning of to remind myself. At the end of the day, you can know everything word for word but have a **** exam technique and get a C. I find it really difficult to learn things off by heart but I know how to answer exam questions, so I get my grades. I put my work in all year long, that's my work ethic.

Precisely!
krisblade
I did my A-levels with very little to no revision depending on the subject - does that mean I have a terrible work ethic? No. Instead of wasting time revising the pointless syllabus of A-levels, I was researching journals and taking part in original research at universities and holding down a job. The time I could of wasted on pointless A-level revision I intend spent widening my knowledge and earning money for uni. Revision isn't the only kind of constructive work out here.

I agree :smile:
Reply 17
cruciform

im can get 3 As overall without even sitting my last 3 mods so yes it is very easy lol you just fail )D
Reply 18
I see all these statistics, '`17% get 3As', but nobody is mentioning which subjects they include. Media, psychology, which friends tell me is super easy, among other less than challanging A-levels. I bet if you were to narrow the statistic to say, science, then it would be more like 10-12%, at least that's what it seems to me.
Reply 19
What subjects though?
I've got friends taking subjects like Photography, Media etc who have gotten AAA
then theres people who are taking all 3 sciences, maths etc.
Major difference!

Latest