The Student Room Group

V. Simple Application of Cauchy Integral Formula

I'm puzzled by a solution given to a simple Cauchy integral formula question. The question is to evaluate γcotz dz\int _{\gamma } \cot z \ dz for γ=eit\gamma = e^{it}.
The solution just lets f=zcotzf = z\cot z and w=0, but then the integral equals 2πif(0)2\pi i f(0). The solution claims that this is equal to 2πi2\pi i, but isn't f(0)=0cos0sin0f(0)= 0\cdot \frac{\cos 0}{\sin 0} undefined?!

Is the solution messed up or have I forgotten to consider the particular case where I am certifiably insane?
This doesn't look Cauchy at all. :frown:
Reply 2
Well, cotz\cot z has a simple pole at 0. So zcotzz \cot z has a removable singularity at 0. So we can (indeed, must - since Cauchy's integral formula requires f to be holomorphic on the interior of the contour) take f(0)=limz0zcotz=1\displaystyle f(0) = \lim_{z \to 0} z \cot z = 1.
Reply 3
Zhen Lin
Well, cotz\cot z has a simple pole at 0. So zcotzz \cot z has a removable singularity at 0. So we can (indeed, must - since Cauchy's integral formula requires f to be holomorphic on the interior of the contour) take f(0)=limz0zcotz=1\displaystyle f(0) = \lim_{z \to 0} z \cot z = 1.

Orite. ty :yy:

Latest