The Student Room Group

LAW uni choices help

I want to study law as a degree (maybe change to law/criminology) and have applied through ucas.. but i cant seem to decide where i want to study. Im predicted ABB but already have a alevel graded B. I applied at Manchester Met, Staffordshire, Birmingham city, Demonfort and university of birmingham and have recieved conditional for all, but birmingham (uni of) im disregardin as i know i wont get AAA..

does anyone have any thoughts on these universities?
& what are your thoughts on takin a gap year working/getting experiencing and applying to 'better' university's next year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Work your hardest to get into Brum, it's RG and has pretty steady good rankings. Besides, they're known for being a bit lenient with missed grades, so call them up and ask how they'd feel about you getting a B instead of an A.
Reply 2
I'd love to go to university of brum but you have to sit the LNAT also and i think i may have missed the deadline for that now. I did ask about iff i got an ABB if i'd be accepted and got the reply of 'no' :/
Reply 3
how do you have an offer from brum without sitting the lnat ?
Reply 4
I have no idea! i was confused about that, think they may have given me an offer wrongly lol! considerin my predicted grades aswell...
Reply 5
crowsy
how do you have an offer from brum without sitting the lnat ?

Yeah? I thought it was compulsary.
Reply 6
well contact them and check whether they need you to sit it or not

no offence, but it is a very odd situation since you don't have like, outstanding predictions, let alone the normal offer..
and or you have an amazing lnat to support your slightly weaker grades

anyway, is there a chance you could get AAB, because i know people who got into birmingham law with AAB..
Reply 7
Yeah in my conditions its that i get a satisfactory mark in it.. so i have no idea why they gave me an offer to be honest i thought they would of rejected my app to be honest.. i just don't know where to go to be honest! & yes you do need ot sit the LNAT for brum, i even asked about AAB and the woman was still like 'no'
Reply 8
maybe they were so adamant because of your predictions, and think you might relax a bit if you know getting AAB is an option

i just know that my friend who was predicted AAA, phoned them up and they said theyd'd take him if he got AAB

if i were you i'd go and sit the lnat and do whatever i could to get AAA, birmingham is heads above the other universities you have applied for and will serve you much better in later life, as a birmingham degree is very respected

also if you were to take a gap year, in order to apply to "better" universities, and you only had ABB then i'm afraid you wouldn't be able to apply to "better" universities as most of them ask for AAA, and the odd one ask for AAB

if i were you i'd sit the lnat, firm birmingham, and if you don't get in you can drop out of the cycle then and reapply if that's what you really want to do
Reply 9
Thankyou :smile: i really wish i could get AAB but one of my subjects has been messed around with all year and no teacher or anything so its going ot be hard! which of those would you put as your insurance may i ask?
Reply 10
as i don't really have anything to judge on
looking by the times league tables for overall-ness
demontfort is best according to the league tables

but manchester is an amazing city, really student based and nightlife is incredible
(i'm from there so a bit biased, though could never have stayed for uni)
and brum has immense nightlife

so maybe brum city or man met
it's up to you really, but i think my personal choice would be brum city :smile:

what are your other offers if you don't mind my asking ?
Reply 11
yeah i was thinking man met or staffs (but i dont really like stoke), but man met seems to busy of a place for me to live great for nightlife and shopping but living :/ lol

Demontfort = 300 (b in law)
Staffs= ABB (2 year degree) and i think for 3 year degree they accept anyone i think lol
Brum city= 300
Man Met= ABB

I wish id applied to other places like nottingham trent as thats ment to be good! are you going to study law?
OP, do you want to be a lawyer?
Reply 13
Originally yes, but now im unsure..
alls i know is for definate is that i want a job in Law!
Well consider where you want to live - because when applying for grad jobs you have to demonstrate a commitment to the area. This is usually either growing up in the area, or going to Uni there. xx
Reply 15
hmm i dunno, i see where you're coming from, but i've been at school/college in the middle of the student part of manchester and i'd say it's more bustling than busy, it has a very good studenty vibe from it-especially cause man met is accross from the university of manchester so they're quite integrated, it's just FULL OF STUDENTS, in a good way :smile:

i don't understand ucas points so don't really know what they equate to..

yeah i'm going to do law and german
Reply 16
blinkbelle
Well consider where you want to live - because when applying for grad jobs you have to demonstrate a commitment to the area. This is usually either growing up in the area, or going to Uni there. xx

really ?
that's so odd, i've never heard that beforeee
Reply 17
If you want to become a lawyer, go to Uni of Birmingham.

You need to phone up Uni of Birmingham and ask why you have an offer despite not sitting the LNAT. The LNAT is compulsory for Birmingham, and, given your predicted grades, I don't mean to be harsh, but I think your offer was a mistake.

Edit: Also, it's unlikely you'll get into Birmingham with AAB; unlikely, but not impossible.
Reply 18
I havent even thought about where i want to live.. alls i know is that i want to travel abroad though

and ohh right i see. well i dont really know much about man Met as a university tbh, it was jus to fill up a space on my ucas (no1 told me u cud add places later if you didnt put all 5) :frown:
and 300 points is like 3bbb's basically. but iv already got a 100 from my alevel from last year!

and nice sounds very interesting & Hard!
Reply 19
i totally agree so no offence taken! i dont think its even possible me gettin AAA as last year i got an ABC in my subjects (and already have one B) so i have no idea what they're doing!

Latest

Trending

Trending