Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Cauchy's Estimate

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 10 followers

I'm having trouble pinning down what should be a straightforward question.

Q: Let R>0 and f be an entire function such that |f(z)| \leq |z|^n for |z| > R. Show that f is a polynomial of degree at most n.

I have a hint that says it would be helpful to apply Cauchy's estimate. So I fix R>0 and choose S>R. Then f is analytic on B(0,S) and |f(z)| \leq |S|^n for |z|>R. Then, applying Cauchy's estimate for any z0 in the annulus gives |f^{(n)}(z_0)| \leq \frac{|S|^n n!}{S^n} = n!. Which implies f is poly of max degree n (as n'th derivative is constant).

But what about all those points inside B(0,R)? How do I deal with them? :holmes:

Thanks in advance.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Use Cauchy's integral formula to establish a bound on the function inside the disc, by integrating around a contour sufficiently large. (I think that's how it goes. If not I'll check my work and see how I went about it.)
    • 10 followers

(Original post by Zhen Lin)
    Use Cauchy's integral formula to establish a bound on the function inside the disc, by integrating around a contour sufficiently large. (I think that's how it goes. If not I'll check my work and see how I went about it.)
    I'm not entirely clear what you're getting at. Could we let, say, w=z+2R, and the conclude from Cauchy's integral formula (with \gamma (t) = Se^{it} for suitably large S>R) that 2\pi i f(w) = \int _{\gamma } \frac{f(z)}{2R} \ dz? Which gives us \int _{\gamma } f(z) \leq 4\pi i R|z|^n as an upper bound for the integral inside the disc. Is that enough to conclude that f itself is bounded inside the disc? Is that what you were suggesting?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, this is what I had in mind. Let \gamma(t) = w + S e^{i t}, where |w| < R and S is chosen so that |\gamma(t)| > R for all t. Then \displaystyle f^{(m)} (w) = \frac{m!}{2 \pi i} \oint_{\gamma} \frac{f(z)}{(z - w)^{n+1}} \, dz, so \displaystyle |f(w)| = \frac{m!}{2 \pi} \left|  \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \frac{f(w + S e^{i t})}{S^{m+1} e^{i (m + 1) t}} i S e^{i t} \, dt \right| \le \frac{m!}{2\pi S^m} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \left| f(w + S e^{i t}) \right| \, dt, which you can now bound above by 2 \pi S^{n - m} \left( 1 + \frac{R}{S} \right)^{n}. So for m > n, taking S \to \infty allows us to see that f^{(m)}(z) = 0 for |z| < R as well. (Actually, this gives the result for all z, since a holomorphic function constant on some open subset of a connected domain is globally constant.)
    • 10 followers

Hmm, looks a bit heavy-handed but I can't see anything else so perhaps that's the best to be done. Thanks again, Zhen. :yy:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 27, 2010
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.