The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
DarrenC
I hate how the answers have to be written on the question paper. I've forgotten all the questions already so I wish I could've taken the paper home :frown:

WHAT QUESTION ABOUT DOGS?! :eek3: I hope I didn't accidently skip a page!

it was multi choice gene cross, about the colour of a dogs fur i think
Reply 81
Crap. Think I put 1 in 4
Reply 82
DarrenC
Crap. Think I put 1 in 4

i put that too :|
Reply 83
isharif
i put that too :|

me too!
Reply 84
did you get 4/16 then cancel it down? I'm rubbish with genetics so I didn't expect to get it right anyway...
Reply 85
DarrenC
did you get 4/16 then cancel it down? I'm rubbish with genetics so I didn't expect to get it right anyway...

The genotype had to be either:

llBB or llBb, sounds like you counted the llbb as well(as I did on my first attempt)
DarrenC

I did a punnett square and only 3 of the combinations matched whatever genotypes the question was asking for (i've forgotten :p: ) and there are sixteen combinations in a punnett square.
isharif
i wrote that you can obtain it from food.. :frown: i guessed though, i was really confused with that question aswell.:confused:

Yeah, you can get tyrosine from food, and the genes coding for enzymes 2 and 3 are unaffected, so tyrosine can still be broken down to the skin pigment thingy. About the thalidomide/alcohol/nicotine question, both nicotine and alcohol cause stunted growth AND problems wiht brain development, right? Don't have any books to look it up and check now!
anyone have a spare exam they got put up ?
Reply 89
bescientific69
I did a punnett square and only 3 of the combinations matched whatever genotypes the question was asking for (i've forgotten :p: ) and there are sixteen combinations in a punnett square.

Same :frown:
Reply 90
MySweetheartTheDrunk
About the thalidomide/alcohol/nicotine question, both nicotine and alcohol cause stunted growth AND problems wiht brain development, right? Don't have any books to look it up and check now!

That's what I thought! But there was no option for it...

My book says alcohol causes "mental disability and poor growth" and nicotine causes "poor mental development and poor growth"

Judging from that I think I got it right but poor mental development and mental disability are almost the same thing... :s-smilie:
Reply 91
bescientific69

i got the same as you, i did the full punnet square on the work sheet :smile:
Reply 92
Was nice - straight as I went into the exam I wrote out the full kreb and calvin cycles :smile:
anyone got a spare exam they could* put up?
Reply 94
MySweetheartTheDrunk
Yeah, you can get tyrosine from food, and the genes coding for enzymes 2 and 3 are unaffected, so tyrosine can still be broken down to the skin pigment thingy. About the thalidomide/alcohol/nicotine question, both nicotine and alcohol cause stunted growth AND problems wiht brain development, right? Don't have any books to look it up and check now!

Was the tyrosine thing worth two marks? Because I didn't mention the fact that enzymes 2 + 3 were unaffected...

And yeah, you're right about the thalidomide thing. I can't remember which letter it was but I put down that alcohol and nicotine caused poor mental developement and poor growth and only thalidomide caused limb deformities.
Reply 95
Tobinobin
and calvin cycles :smile:

unfortunatly im no good at the calvin cycle lol that page was a bit tricky for me, everything else was good though, i was pleased to get bee questions aswell :biggrin: as for the essays i did ectotherms and endotherms, and then the mutations question.
Reply 96
RizzyI
Was the tyrosine thing worth two marks? Because I didn't mention the fact that enzymes 2 + 3 were unaffected...

Yeah I did the exact same thing :frown:
Reply 97
red_roses123
How did everyone find the Higher Biology Exam.

I have my answers to the multiple choice section, dont know how many are right though.

1.D
2.B
3.C
4.B
5.C
6.D
7.A
8.D
9.D
10.D
11.A
12.B
13.D
14.B
15.B
16.C
17.D
18.B
19.A
20.B
21.A
22.C
23.B
24.D
25.A
26.B
27.C
28.C
29.C
30.A

strawberryilicious
heres mine =x

DBABDDADDCABDBDCDDABCCCDABBCCA

i doubt i got many right tho

And mine:
DBCBCDADDDABDBC
CDDABACABABCACA
Reply 98
ok sorry for the double post but to make that clearer:

red roses got: DBCBCDADDD ABDBBCDBAB ACBDABCCCA
strawberrylicious got: DBABDDADDC ABDBDCDDAB CCCDABBCCA
I got: DBCBCDADDD ABDBCCDDAB ACABABCACA

We all matched 20 answers :smile:

(1 2 4 6 7 8 9
11 12 13 14 16 17 19 20
22 25 26 29 30 )

if anyone gets a list of correct answers please post :smile:

My friend got: DBCBCDADDD CBDBBCCBAB ACADABCACA
DarrenC
That's what I thought! But there was no option for it...

My book says alcohol causes "mental disability and poor growth" and nicotine causes "poor mental development and poor growth"

Judging from that I think I got it right but poor mental development and mental disability are almost the same thing... :s-smilie:

There was an option for that.

1. Limb deformation
2. Reduced Growth
3. Reduced mental development

The answer was: Thalomide- 1, Alcohol- 2&3 and Nicotine- 2&3, which corresponds to D

Latest

Trending

Trending