The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Might do - smoking is bad anyway (but you knew that :wink:)

What sort of neck pain - do you mean muscular, or do you mean like in your throat?
Reply 2
Do you want to know what it might be,
or where it came from,
or how to get rid of it?
Reply 3
all of the above ! and the neck pain is muscular !
Reply 4
r_raghav11
all of the above ! and the neck pain is muscular !

try putting heat on your neck, either a hot water bottle or one of those wheat bag things or even a hot bath- they often help sooth muscular pains :smile:

lou xxx
Reply 5
How high was the temperature? (in Centigrades please) When did it come (time of day, after doing what)?
How much do you smoke? What do you generally eat?
Any other symptoms (sore eyes, nose clogged, spotts, earache, joints aching..)?
Leisure17
How high was the temperature? (in Centigrades please) When did it come (time of day, after doing what)?
How much do you smoke? What do you generally eat?
Any other symptoms (sore eyes, nose clogged, spotts, earache, joints aching..)?

mmmmm k. You may be a clinical student in which case forgive the arrogance, but if i may...

THe best question to ask straight away is "how do you feel generally?" daft i know but if he says "really crummy, i have aches and pains and just don't feel upto much" then we'll know to take his symptoms with more note than if he says "other than a cough and painful neck? fine"

Now no one knows the temperature of their fever except mums with their kiddies. you wanna ask if they feel flsuh, if they are hot to touch. do they need to pull their bed clothes off etc etc. do they sweat during these 'fevers'?
Anything associated with the cough (ie stabbing pain in side, ear popping) anything brought up at all? any time of day coughing is worse? anything bring it on? is it worse with exercise for instance?

smoking....probablary makes less difference in this sort of history than you would think. if it was smoking that were the cause of the cough you'd probablary be bringing up gunk.

If his history did have malaise, tiredness, general crummyness for last week etc plus possible short of breath, i'd plump for an atypical pneumonia.

That's my 2 cents anyway...
Reply 7
Isn't glandular fever supposed to have flu like symptoms or cause neck aching and tiredness? Apparently you dont feel like doing anything and your limbs ache. :confused: Just a suggestion.
Reply 8
\_Nenna_/
Isn't glandular fever supposed to have flu like symptoms or cause neck aching and tiredness? Apparently you dont feel like doing anything and your limbs ache. :confused: Just a suggestion.

Different kind of neck ache - he's describing it as muscular rather than throat pain (which is what GF is)

We don't give out diagnoses on here though.
Reply 9
its been almost 24 hrs. the fever has reduced as i'm on medication. The coughing too has stopped. I feel tired...kinda sweat more often that normal. My toungue feels like rubber! :eek: And once i walk around i feel tired. I couldnt get up from bed today as i was feelin pretty weak. I'm indian so my staple diet is rice with vegetables. Though i do eat non-veg but not that often. I've been drinking soup which feels like heaven. Last night i had such a high fever that i could feel the heat in my eyes! and i couldnt sleep for a long time. Though thats because there r a lot of things that's been runnin in my head off late. In the morning i had like 5 different dreams which seemed so real. Probably i just need some rest...but then i have a train to catch on sat morning ...its really important...so i'll try to get atleast the energy to make that trip. aaah...i so badly wanna rest but i just cannot! :frown:
sounds like ebola to me . . .
Reply 11
Just make sure you're keeping hydrated if you're feverish and sweating a lot.
Reply 12
i'm drinkin plenty of water in the hope that i'd flush the virus outta the system soon! :rolleyes:
Reply 13
You'll need salt too. And unfortunately it doesn't work like that :wink:
Reply 14
i got to drink salt water ?? :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending