The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
candystrippa
I am in the process of writing a Cambridge personal statement, and hope to get ideas from you people- Why cam?

why cam?......why not?
but surely u're applying to other unis too and don't want to make it seem like u only wanna go to cam.........
Reply 3
More importantly, why Cam for your course? Pinpoint why Cambridge is able to excel in your subject over other places otherwise there isn't really a point in applying; from a research point of view, perhaps? Facilities? Course structure? Great minds that study there....?

Especially for the CAF, in applying for Cam I'm sure you're able to think of reasons why you want to go there beyond the unique academic/social scene...

Have you been on an Open Day or looked through the prospectus? Surely there was something about the place unique to your interests or even an inkling that you have something to offer?

No-one is able to answer that for you or gloss it up for the PS/CAF; I've always felt that they look for something a bit quirky/special in their students with the enthusiasm to carry it off and perform well for them. Maybe you should take the time to think about why you really want to apply to Cam, because you'll just 'know' at some point whether its right for you or not and can provide what you're looking for. What binds you to the subject and to the university in wanting to apply will shine through in the PS through your interests and enthusiasm, and that's something only you can work out once you assess 'why' Cambridge in the first place
Reply 4
I've just been told by a mathmo friend this afternoon that apparently, maths interviewers don't really give a crap about what you write in your ps. They don't want to know how much you love the subject, they just want to feed you tough questions and make you cry on the day! Well... I erm, probably exaggerated that a bit.

PS isn't the most important thing in Cambridge. Whether you use the space on CAF to write anything more or not doesn't really make any difference.

You can always say that you don't like Oxford.
Reply 5
Camford

You can always say that you don't like Oxford.

When I was a 2nd year GCSE student I dated a 1st Year Oxford student......ended badly and thus Oxford WAS NOT an option anymore....

Then again, the first stones of Peterhouse were built amid Theologians fleeing Oxford and founding a 'better place'....I like to think I carry some of the original spirit from 800 years back :smile:
Reply 6
Yay, I'm applying to Peterhouse. I like the idea of fleeing Oxford - it rained every second I was there.
-Academic rigour
-Course, eg flexibility
-Supervisions
-Collegiate system
Reply 8
'The soul of Oxford is as polluted as its well-worn streets'
candystrippa
I am in the process of writing a Cambridge personal statement, and hope to get ideas from you people- Why cam?

read the prospectus and then tell us why cambridge

we cannot tell you why you should come to cambridge, you should already know why cambridge
Reply 10
Feel the force!

:biggrin:
Camford
Feel the force!

:biggrin:

it wasnt really forceful, i just would have thought people would have some idea why they have chosen the university! i cant tell say why he/she has chosen cambridge! :rolleyes: if this smilie had a speech bubble it would say: "tut"
Reply 12
Because it has a fudge shop.

I chose it because it was further away from the parents :redface:
Reply 13
And if you're clever and vary your appearance and remain aloof, you never have to pay!
Reply 14
Narcissus
And if you're clever and vary your appearance and remain aloof, you never have to pay!

Or if you're fat, you buy four slices, get one free, then flirt with the guy in there to get a free one sent by mail order to your college. Which is further away than the fudge shop. Then eat them all in one day. :smile:
Reply 15
Narcissus

How does that work? :hmmmm:
Reply 16
Free samples my friend, to the anonymous student :smile:

Lauren: if you're not fat before such an undertaking, you are afterwards, unless you have the metabolism of a mongoose, of course.
Reply 17
Narcissus

Do you run in, swipe a handful, then run out with an extra 3000000000 calories?
Reply 18
Narcissus

Lauren: if you're not fat before such an undertaking, you are afterwards, unless you have the metabolism of a mongoose, of course.

Oh I thought you meant free education from cambridge...

You can go in the 2nd and time say it was your twin brother/sister last time... No?
Reply 19
I think they might suspect such a ploy.

Latest

Trending

Trending