The Student Room Group

Messed up CIE Math P3 and Physics P4.

So I had these two extremely difficult exams on one single day, 28th May. And I kinda messed up with them.

Math, P3, went pathetic. I have no idea what to expect. Perhaps 30-35/75.

What I want to know now is, if I get the following grades in the components of CIE Math, what will my overall grade be?

Statistics S1 - 38/50
Mechanics M1 - 42/50
Pure Maths P1 - 67/75
Pure Maths P3 - 30-38/75

As for Physics, I got a 'D' in AS Physics and decided not to retake. The exam (Paper 4 - A2 Structured Questions) went okay and I'm expecting something around 55-60/100. Any idea what my overall A-Level grade will be in Physics and in Math with these grades?

Also, I'd appreciate if somebody could explain the grade thresholds and such.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As for thresholds this is what I have read.

They add the thresholds for all Papers to get the required marks out of the total marks for all the papers to find the minimum marks for A, B C etc.
Eg, if A for each paper was 50/50/50/50 then the total marks out of all possible marks you need is 200, and the distribution of these might not be important

So if you got a D in AS phys, but did really well in A2 physics then it could be that you reach the overall marks required for a A / B and end up with that

I won't talk about the papers, since its not allowed till 24 hrs, but I hope I helped you understand thresholds

The S1 var 2 was also quite hard so the threshold for A may be ~80%
For P3 I think it might be 70-80%

Physics will most likely be 65-75 since the paper was quite straight forward.
BUT question styles have been different this year so this is only my guess
Reply 2
Last years grade boundary was 59 for an A and 52/75 for a B but it could change depending on how people did on the paper. I loved todays P3 cause i could answer every question but every1 else in my class and people in other schools Ive met after complained that it was a tough paper so you can keep your hopes up, threshold may be as low. How'd u find the physics?? and yes i have to agree!!! wat on earth were these people thinking putting the toughest maths and physics papers on the same day 1 after the other.
Ohh btw last years physics grade threshold was 50/100 for an A so it will also depend on overall performance
Reply 3
We cant discuss exams until 24 hrs, but I mistyped ny2ko

My feeling :frown: ^1000 in p32 CIE
Reply 4
RaYYaN
We cant discuss exams until 24 hrs, but I mistyped ny2ko

My feeling :frown: ^1000 in p32 CIE

Did p32 myself! Loved it!!!! till tmrw then. lol
Reply 5
My paper didnt go quite well too :frown:
What do u think will be the mark requirements for an A and B for paper 32 this time?

Do u think i get get a B if my grades are
P1: B
S1:A
P3: C/B predicted
S2: A

I do have an AS-level A in maths.
Reply 6
RaYYaN
As for thresholds this is what I have read.

They add the thresholds for all Papers to get the required marks out of the total marks for all the papers to find the minimum marks for A, B C etc.
Eg, if A for each paper was 50/50/50/50 then the total marks out of all possible marks you need is 200, and the distribution of these might not be important

So if you got a D in AS phys, but did really well in A2 physics then it could be that you reach the overall marks required for a A / B and end up with that

I won't talk about the papers, since its not allowed till 24 hrs, but I hope I helped you understand thresholds

The S1 var 2 was also quite hard so the threshold for A may be ~80%
For P3 I think it might be 70-80%

Physics will most likely be 65-75 since the paper was quite straight forward.
BUT question styles have been different this year so this is only my guess
What thresholds are u refering to? i dont quite follow. i believe he is asking about the grade threshold per paper and not the overall grade calculation.

Heres a link for last years maths threshold seefour. hope it helps

http://www.xtremepapers.net/CIE/International%20A%20And%20AS%20Level/9709%20-%20Mathematics/9709_s09_gt.pdf
Reply 7
I know each paper has its own threshold
These are in the grade threshold

But he wanted to know how he can improve his overall grade, so I told him how the overall grade is calculated
To find the total marks needed for a Grade, they add up all the marks needed in all the papers to get that grade overall.

Someone told me that you do need to get marks in each papers, but your final grade is based upon the total marks

So if you do bad in one, but really well in another you can make up for it, and do well overall
Reply 8
RaYYaN
I know each paper has its own threshold
These are in the grade threshold

But he wanted to know how he can improve his overall grade, so I told him how the overall grade is calculated
To find the total marks needed for a Grade, they add up all the marks needed in all the papers to get that grade overall.

Someone told me that you do need to get marks in each papers, but your final grade is based upon the total marks

So if you do bad in one, but really well in another you can make up for it, and do well overall

Yea thats true but you also have to consider the weighting of the papers. P3 counts most then P1 then M1 and M2 or S1 and S2 or M1 and S1 whichever you do counts the least in terms of weighting. Its pretty much all described in the first pages of the Maths syllabus
Reply 9
Seefour
Math, P3, went pathetic. I have no idea what to expect. Perhaps 30-35/75.

Absolutely. I can only hope for an E (at best) in that paper. This morning a lot of people were literally bursting into tears as we left the room.
Reply 10
RaYYaN

Thanks Rayyan, it did help.

solved
My paper didnt go quite well too :frown:
What do u think will be the mark requirements for an A and B for paper 32 this time?

Do u think i get get a B if my grades are
P1: B
S1:A
P3: C/B predicted
S2: A

I do have an AS-level A in maths.

An 'A' will be something around 50-55. I think. But then again, of course you'll get an A with those grades at A-Level. Don't worry dude. :wink:

Thanks.

I hope I get something around a 'C' in P3 and make an overall 'B' in Math. I didn't get some questions correct but still showed the formulas, working and such. Perhaps I could pull off a few marks this way and get something around 40-45/75 and get a C. :/

Physics was alright. I think. An 'A' is definitely possible which would improve my overall grade to something around B.

Oh well.

speedbird
Absolutely. I can only hope for an E (at best) in that paper. This morning a lot of people were literally bursting into tears as we left the room.

I felt like crying during the paper. Lol. When I came out, I was confused at what just happened and thought everybody would have done good. But everyone had made loads of mistakes. People had left twenty marks and such. Hopefully the threshold hits a record low this year and an 'A' is around 50. :frown:
Reply 11
cnt talk abt the exam but i think dey r screwed putting P3 and phy structured in one day and dey both have gud value. n the pattern has chngd jesus help me
i gt a
B-phy
B-math
in As level buzt dnt knw wt did i do in my dese papers i was blank
Reply 12
It's weird how CIE has suddenly changed the patterns of all the papers and made A-Levels more difficult.

All the papers that I've given in this session have had their patterns changed quite drastically. Hate CIE for doing this to our batch. :angry:
Reply 13
@
Re: Messed up CIE Math P3 and Physics P4.

It's weird how CIE has suddenly changed the patterns of all the papers and made A-Levels more difficult.

All the papers that I've given in this session have had their patterns changed quite drastically. Hate CIE for doing this to our batch.

i toattly agree why did dey experiment on us hate cie for dis
Reply 14
I think thats why people were messing up maths

Looking back I know I messed up for 2 reasons (BTW 24 hours are up for me :wink: )
--Silly mistakes, I always make them and end up losing marks
--The asking style this year was different in both S1 and P3

Has anyone given CIE M1 /M2 /S2 so we can judge how difficult those were
Because people are saying p31 and p33 were actually really easy
Reply 15
RaYYaN
I think thats why people were messing up maths

Looking back I know I messed up for 2 reasons (BTW 24 hours are up for me :wink: )
--Silly mistakes, I always make them and end up losing marks
--The asking style this year was different in both S1 and P3

Has anyone given CIE M1 /M2 /S2 so we can judge how difficult those were
Because people are saying p31 and p33 were actually really easy

I gave all four components of Math this session. Although the pattern had changed, P1 and M1 were really easy for me. S1 and P3 were kinda difficult. S1 still went good, P3 was just crap.

And you're kinda right. Many of the candidates who gave Physics P4 in the morning were tired and didn't perform 100% in the Math exam.

Some of the candidates who didn't have Physics in the morning actually had a good P3 exam. Damn CIE. :mad:
Reply 16
Seefour

All the papers that I've given in this session have had their patterns changed quite drastically. Hate CIE for doing this to our batch. :angry:

Couldn't agree more. After 07, the papers have become quite tricky. 02-07 papers were easy. (for maths)

The paper was kinda alright, its just that i felt like my brain wasnt on. i figured out how to solve the questions that came after the paper, for instance this mornin i woke up and just remembered the solution for the algebra question... Crap.
Reply 17
True but contrary to what all of you have said, P32 wasnt that tough. 24 hrs have passed now so could you guys tell me what questions you found difficult because from all these comments, i feel like i did a completely different paper
Reply 18
still nw thw question of P3 n physics are goin in my brain
i almost left the application booklet part i dont knw was the time less or was i less omg cant figure out
feel like killing CIE
Reply 19
simi_kaur
still nw thw question of P3 n physics are goin in my brain
i almost left the application booklet part i dont knw was the time less or was i less omg cant figure out
feel like killing CIE

which qsns??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending