The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Tobias
The Times reports today that King's College and St. John's College have deficits of £1.2 million and £2.4 million respectively. I wonder if this will mean things change, i.e. rent hikes etc. for students of said colleges?

There have already been protests about rent rises at King's.
Reply 2
Tobias
The Times reports today that King's College and St. John's College have deficits of £1.2 million and £2.4 million respectively. I wonder if this will mean things change, i.e. rent hikes etc. for students of said colleges?

When I went to St Johns for my interview the students were complaining that they were paying London prices for accomodation.
Reply 3
And to think that these colleges, especially St John's, are often counted among the richest colleges (aside from Trinity) in Cambridge. I wonder why...
Reply 4
they are rich, they hold lots of land, lots of buildings and lots of precious antiques. However, they can't use any of this capital and are running at a defecit each year. Thats why Cambridge pretty much wants top up fees, because it can't be sustained as it is.
Reply 5
DanMushMan
they are rich, they hold lots of land, lots of buildings and lots of precious antiques. However, they can't use any of this capital and are running at a defecit each year. Thats why Cambridge pretty much wants top up fees, because it can't be sustained as it is.

But St Johns has almost double the annual income of the other colleges! (besides trinity of course which has about 8.5 times the other colleges' income)
Reply 6
Oh well... I accepted my offer from St. John's (PhD in physics) to-day. I hope I haven't made a mistake.

I've budgeted about £3,500 p.a. for rent, though from what I hear, St John's charges rather high rents and they are likely to go up. Can anyone confirm this?
Reply 7
This is also a growing problem in Oxford. Last term loads of colleges held rent strikes. Also, OUSU discovered that the bursars from colleges across the university have essentially been conspiring to fix rents at an artifically high level so as to compensate for the financial shortfall they have encountered as a result of continued government cut-backs.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 8
Well... here are some figure from 1997 that I found. Clearly, a lot has happened in six years.

Cambridge top five

Trinity £19 million income from £310 million assets
St John's £5.9 million income from £91 million assets
Jesus £2.9 million income from £51 million assets
Gonville & Caius £3 million income from £51 million assets
Peterhouse £1.9 million income from £30 million assets

Oxford top five

St John's £5.5 million income from £90 million assets
Christ Church £4.7 million income from £90 million assets
All Souls £3 million income from £61 million assets
New College £2.9? million income from £60 million assets
Merton £2.8 million income from £56 million assets
Reply 9
hildabeast
This is also a growing problem in Oxford. Last term loads of colleges held rent strikes. Also, OUSU discovered that the bursars from colleges across the university have essentially been conspiring to fix rents at an artifically high level so as to compensate for the financial shortfall they have encountered as a result of continued government cut-backs.

Rent strikes? Wow! I didn't realise things had gotten so bad.

Latest