The Student Room Group

Wesser Fundraising 2010

Is anyone doing this this year? Or has anyone already done it?

Got my welcome pack yesterday and I need to send off all my stuff, but I'm looking forward to working for Wesser!
almostgolden

Got my welcome pack yesterday and I need to send off all my stuff, but I'm looking forward to working for Wesser!

Okay well please let me know how it goes when you start because I applied a couple days ago and after hearing some experiences, I'm not too sure about whether to go ahead with the interview or not... ! :wink:
Reply 2
x_skater_jnoo_x
Okay well please let me know how it goes when you start because I applied a couple days ago and after hearing some experiences, I'm not too sure about whether to go ahead with the interview or not... ! :wink:

You should go for it.
There are so many garbage rumours blasted round about fund-raiser jobs. Don't believe everything you read.

Think about it this way. As a Fund-raiser you are representing a Charity and therefore a very important brand as is the company, in this case Wesser. Due to this, ethics is a massive factor in the way the business operates and you are therefore always well taken care of.
Hope this helps
i worked with wesser for 4 weeks. If you have any questions in particular I can answer them. My overall view of my experience with Wesser was slightly negative. Its very difficult to make much money out of the job. Its very very hard to persuade members of the public to hand over bank details on their front doorstep and to tell them 'and madam by the way the minimum donation is £20.. and by the way.. it comes out of your account ever year' (they slam the door in your face!). You decide if you think you can do it. Maybe you would be really good at the job, who knows ! you could be better at it than I was
Reply 4
almostgolden

Nice big bump up.
I'm going to an interview next Tuesday, from some of the posts on here not sure i'll take the job if offered but it can't hurt to pop along and see how it goes.
Hiya, I worked for them before. It's a hard job, but if you are a 'sales' type of person like me then you'll do well...easier than Avon or telesales. It is commission only but you can clear around 1100 a month or so, some people make more...and of course less! I had one teammate who was completely clueless, he didn't have any idea how to talk to people who were older than him. We tried to give him some tips but he didn't last, so don't do it if you're shy. I worked in retail since I was 14 so I guess it gave me a bit of an edge, you have to try and be happy with people even if they are being a bit arsey. Oh and there's loads of walking

The minimum donations are only spread out over a year, so I always used the "£3 per month" or "£5 every three months" pitch, which worked well for me. To be honest I couldn't afford to be choosey, I HAD to get a job over that summer, and there were none where I lived so I was happy to give it a go. The house was nice though. And it is quite satisfying when you know you've raised some cash for charity. PM me if you need any advice and good luck. xx
****, really? They were fine with me, but there you go, I guess it depends on where you are stationed. Why were you knocking on doors at 10.30pm? We were always told to stop just before 9 in case we pissed anyone off? :confused:
chickenlittle
Hiya, I worked for them before. It's a hard job, but if you are a 'sales' type of person like me then you'll do well...easier than Avon or telesales. It is commission only but you can clear around 1100 a month or so, some people make more...and of course less! I had one teammate who was completely clueless, he didn't have any idea how to talk to people who were older than him. We tried to give him some tips but he didn't last, so don't do it if you're shy. I worked in retail since I was 14 so I guess it gave me a bit of an edge, you have to try and be happy with people even if they are being a bit arsey. Oh and there's loads of walking

The minimum donations are only spread out over a year, so I always used the "£3 per month" or "£5 every three months" pitch, which worked well for me. To be honest I couldn't afford to be choosey, I HAD to get a job over that summer, and there were none where I lived so I was happy to give it a go. The house was nice though. And it is quite satisfying when you know you've raised some cash for charity. PM me if you need any advice and good luck. xx

Hey would you mind answering a few questions, I'm a bit confused :p: .
- Do they take 16 year olds?
- Do you have to stay at the house, and for how long?
- How much money do you typically make?
- Do you have to pay for accommodation?

Thanks,
Reply 8
Hi Perseverance

In answer to your questions.

In order to take this role you must be over the age of 18.
The vast majority of our fundraisers live in the accommodation we provide as it second to non with 5-6 bedrooms nice communal areas and in great locations so really helps build the team work ethic.
The minimum contract period is 6 weeks but most fundraisers exceed the 6 weeks and come back to us every year.
Most of the current fundraisers are earning in excess of £1500 however we do have some superstars that consistently earn over £2500
- Do you have to pay for accommodation
The accommodation is charged for @ £25 per week but due to the new payment structure is often cancelled out as we pay a house bonus back once you have achieved a minimum number of supporters.

I hope this helps
Wesser
Hi Perseverance

In answer to your questions.

In order to take this role you must be over the age of 18.
The vast majority of our fundraisers live in the accommodation we provide as it second to non with 5-6 bedrooms nice communal areas and in great locations so really helps build the team work ethic.
The minimum contract period is 6 weeks but most fundraisers exceed the 6 weeks and come back to us every year.
Most of the current fundraisers are earning in excess of £1500 however we do have some superstars that consistently earn over £2500
- Do you have to pay for accommodation
The accommodation is charged for @ £25 per week but due to the new payment structure is often cancelled out as we pay a house bonus back once you have achieved a minimum number of supporters.

I hope this helps

It seems really easy to get a job with these guys? Are they keen to employ anyone because the work is so bad?
Reply 11
Not everyone likes chugging as it is known (charity mugging). Some love it, some hate it, some spend years doing it in their spare time.

Charities find this type of fundraising useful. Just don't get too pushy with people and you'll avoid complaints.
I've done it as a volunteer only, not as paid work but thats due to the situation regarding my profession and the law relating to fundraising.
Reply 12
neondeviant
It seems really easy to get a job with these guys? Are they keen to employ anyone because the work is so bad?

You would be surprised, Wesser receives over 20,000 applications per year and less than 750 people get the job every year which I am sure you will agree is a very small percentage. As we represent St John Ambulance we have to be very selective to ensure we represent the brand and the cause effectively.

I will openly admit that the job is not for everyone but we provide a comprehensive training course and on-going support throughout your time with us making it as enjoyable and fun as possible.
Reply 13
The propaganda spouted by the Wesser representative has completely put me off ever working with that company, well done!
Reply 14
coldwind
The propaganda spouted by the Wesser representative has completely put me off ever working with that company, well done!

While they don't have the perfect reputation in the business they do have a pretty good reputation.
Still, if you don't want to work for them, plenty will. The work will get done, donors will be signed up, workers paid and everyone is happy.

What more could you want?
coldwind

LOL, ditto.
Reply 16
Okay..
So I have just finished a four week fundraising stretch with Wesser in Wales!
Do you know what - I loved it!!

Ok - so first things first.. Its NOT an EASY JOB! In order to hit the 20 supporters a week target you have to actually graft! A few people in my team didnt get that part - and therefore didnt do so well! So if you want a job thats a walk in the park - maybe don't apply (But then again - NO JOB IS A WALK IN THE PARK!!)

Another thing about this job is that you have to be confident talking to people - complete strangers! Again, someone who joined my team blagged thier way through the interview and couldn't do the job! HONESTY = WINNING!! However, that said - I learnt so much from just talking to strangers on the door - and I feel like a lot of these people have opened my eyes to other perspectives on the way the country works - which is interesting!!

I don't want to put people off - because it is a GREAT job to do and really quite rewarding! I'm just putting an honest review out there of my own experience!! The team I was with were hilarious - and really welcomed me into the team :smile:

I hope this helps people who are looking to work with Wesser in the future! :smile:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Hi hope your still around to be asked questions

I'm the mother of someone that's about to embark on wring for this company.
Naturally as my child is having to leave home and some distances I have some reservations.
I did sales prepping many years ago n why our accommodation was played for by the company we didn't have what you call a home base so for three myths we stayed at b n vs so lived out f m case.... I didn't meet my targets so after three mths I was let go...

Just feel uncertain of what accommodation will be provided on a long term bases.
As my son is taking this job on the view it being just that long term...
I'm convinced he too will be living out of a case though out his employment or does the company provide pertinent accommodation somewhere he can refer to as his new home ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending