Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My baking blog!

Announcements Posted on
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura-rad)
    Made banana bread today. It was so, so good.

I've done the same with cookies! I'm never sure how big to do them. I'm sure I've read something about using an ice-cream scoop to get the same sizes but I ended up doing a little more as I was making the large gooey ones.
    Ohh, I want to make a banana bread! I could live off the stuff!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Ohh, I want to make a banana bread! I could live off the stuff!
    It's so tasty! I make it a lot at university as there's always ripe bananas at least once a week going spare. It's always eaten before it goes cold which is a nice compliment! :yes:

Edit : I love looking at your photos of cupcakes. I'm aiming to try icing like that later on this week. Any tips?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's so tasty! I make it a lot at university as there's always ripe bananas at least once a week going spare. It's always eaten before it goes cold which is a nice compliment! :yes:

Edit : I love looking at your photos of cupcakes. I'm aiming to try icing like that later on this week. Any tips?
    Make sure you use a proper frosting recipe (I'm going to update my blog with that in a minute), is the first important step!

Actually, I think I'll make a blog post about it! It'll be up in a bit
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you use a proper frosting recipe (I'm going to update my blog with that in a minute), is the first important step!

Actually, I think I'll make a blog post about it! It'll be up in a bit
    Excellent, I look forward to reading it!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I always get masses out of mine - How big did you make the balls? I can generally fit about 20 on each baking tray with room between them. Treacle sounds nice in it, did you put any fruit in that?
    I did them maybe 1.5 inches across? Basically the equivalent of heaped teaspoons, but I just guestimated rather than measuring them out. I'm normally more of a rounded tablespoon person for cookie measurements, but recently I've worked out that making them smaller does tend to mean they cook better

I didn't put any fruit in the treacle batch, just the mixed spice. (My sisters hate raisins... weirdos :p: ) Which meant they're slightly bland but still yummy. My favourite of the flavours would have to be the white and dark chocolate chips - hadn't tried that combination before, as we don't generally have any white chocolate in the house. But the sweetness and slight bitterness together worked really well.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    wow, amazing...i'll try some of that thanks!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Loving the blog. I like to bake too.. I just made white choc chip cookies and rice krispie cakes (because I bought Tesco own crispies, and they weren't very nice as breakfast!). Following your blog now
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just made chocolate cupcakes with a recipe from the book I got for my birthday (the Primrose Bakery)... Here's a sample of the pics*:

*I don't have to write up a blog entry before work So you'll have to be satisfied with that!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just made chocolate cupcakes with a recipe from the book I got for my birthday (the Primrose Bakery)... Here's a sample of the pics*:
    Interesting... do you like using the silicone cup cake cups, then? I've tried them a couple of times, but just found them so fiddly to clean that I figured they weren't worth the hassle.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklysparkles)
    Interesting... do you like using the silicone cup cake cups, then? I've tried them a couple of times, but just found them so fiddly to clean that I figured they weren't worth the hassle.
    Yep, I whack mine in the dishwasher. I won't bother with them when I'm at uni though
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Here's mine: http://peachytarts.blogspot.com although I'm trying to lose weight so I haven't done any baking worth writing about in a long, long time, hence the reason it's not been updated for so long.

I love reading http://thecakedcrusader.blogspot.com/ though. Some lovely recipes there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsShifty)
    Here's mine: http://peachytarts.blogspot.com although I'm trying to lose weight so I haven't done any baking worth writing about in a long, long time, hence the reason it's not been updated for so long.

I love reading http://thecakedcrusader.blogspot.com/ though. Some lovely recipes there.
    Wow, that wedding cake is really impressive!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just made a fedging awesome cake:

Picehs
    In the oven, half cooked:

EDIT: Damn corruption in first picture

+the three layers of dark-milk-dark chocolate icing:

Artistic macro-y like shot:

Single layer awesomely rich dark chocolate cake with triple layered chocolate icing

Includes half a kilo of chocolate, and contains over 6,000 calories and 524g of fat, of which 264g are saturates. (Estimated). The icing doesn't actually involve any sugar, it's just chocolate and double cream, layered dark-milk-dark.

Tesco's Triple Layer Chocolate Cake beats mine by 1,000 calories, but contains 3 layers of cake compared to my single layer. If I attempt to compete against Tesco then I'll be predicting I'll need 1.2kg of chocolate and it will total over 15,000 calories :coma:

I will make a Triple layer awesomely rich double chocolate cake with triple layer triple chocolate icing (Dark chocolate cake, white chocolate icing, cake, milk chocolate icing, dark chocolate cake, loads of dark chocolate icing) should Warwick have a Baking society next year.

6,000 calories: translation = 11 hours of vigorous rowing on a stationary rowing machine. 15,000 calories = over a day of vigorous rowing on a stationary rowing machine.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm loving looking at everyone's blogs, keep the links coming
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that wedding cake is really impressive!
    Thank you. Reassuring, as I hope to make a living out of making cakes someday.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsShifty)
    Thank you. Reassuring, as I hope to make a living out of making cakes someday.
    Yes, I noticed that on your first blog post... I too would so love to have a wee patisserie :love: - it just sounds like it would be amazing; baking and getting paid for it?! But such a lot of work as well... and I doubt my parents would be happy with that turn after years of private school and then a law degree. Shall have to live vicariously through others' amazing cake shops!

How did you manage to do the sugar roses? Was it a case of layers of sugar water in moulds? (That was a complete guess, so may be absurd!)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I noticed that on your first blog post... I too would so love to have a wee patisserie :love: - it just sounds like it would be amazing; baking and getting paid for it?! But such a lot of work as well... and I doubt my parents would be happy with that turn after years of private school and then a law degree. Shall have to live vicariously through others' amazing cake shops!

How did you manage to do the sugar roses? Was it a case of layers of sugar water in moulds? (That was a complete guess, so may be absurd!)
    A lot of work indeed. Not sure how good cakes I bake at 5am will turn out, but I'll have to wait and see.

As for the sugar roses, there's nothing as convenient as moulds unfortunately. You use sugar paste (which is slightly more elastic than you're usual icing paste, like the stuff of xmas cakes), make a cone and fix it on a piece of wire. Then use a petal cutter to get the basic petal shape, thin the paste with special tool until it's fag paper thin and then glue them to the central cone. Repeat about 150 times and you've got a few roses. Not work for the impatient!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    Just made a fedging awesome cake:

Picehs
    In the oven, half cooked:

EDIT: Damn corruption in first picture

+the three layers of dark-milk-dark chocolate icing:

Artistic macro-y like shot:

Single layer awesomely rich dark chocolate cake with triple layered chocolate icing

Includes half a kilo of chocolate, and contains over 6,000 calories and 524g of fat, of which 264g are saturates. (Estimated). The icing doesn't actually involve any sugar, it's just chocolate and double cream, layered dark-milk-dark.

Tesco's Triple Layer Chocolate Cake beats mine by 1,000 calories, but contains 3 layers of cake compared to my single layer. If I attempt to compete against Tesco then I'll be predicting I'll need 1.2kg of chocolate and it will total over 15,000 calories :coma:

I will make a Triple layer awesomely rich double chocolate cake with triple layer triple chocolate icing (Dark chocolate cake, white chocolate icing, cake, milk chocolate icing, dark chocolate cake, loads of dark chocolate icing) should Warwick have a Baking society next year.

6,000 calories: translation = 11 hours of vigorous rowing on a stationary rowing machine. 15,000 calories = over a day of vigorous rowing on a stationary rowing machine.
    Are you eating that all yourself? :p:
    Looks good! :yes:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you eating that all yourself? :p:
    Looks good! :yes:
    Someone's birthday :party:

EDIT: Post 4,500 :emo:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I recently started a baking blog. Feel free to check it out
    http://cakecuccino.blogspot.com/

Any one else here keep a blog about recipes or anything? I'd love to read them! :yes:
    Are you a member of foodbuzz?? It's really good and makes your number of readers increase as well as introduces you to like minded people.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 30, 2013
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.