The Student Room Group

Salters Chemistry Unit 5 (F335) - 17th June 2010

Who else is doing the Chemistry By Design paper for the new Chemistry syllabus? Is everybody feeling confident with it?

I'm not as confident, because I'm getting Bs on past papers and need good As to balance out my investigation (which I think might end up being a C) to get an A overall. Never did like the practical coursework :mad:

Perhaps we could share a few tips before the exam, and use this thread to discuss how it went afterwards!
Reply 1
im doing the unit 5 and retaking the unit 4 exam. The thing with unit 5 especially i know pretty much most of the chemistry but theres all the storylines bits to remember as well because you get the odd exam question that will be not much chemistry but environmental precautions etc... also the hardest part on unit 5 is remembering all the organic reactions so many to remember!!!
ajp139
im doing the unit 5 and retaking the unit 4 exam. The thing with unit 5 especially i know pretty much most of the chemistry but theres all the storylines bits to remember as well because you get the odd exam question that will be not much chemistry but environmental precautions etc... also the hardest part on unit 5 is remembering all the organic reactions so many to remember!!!

Yeah, there are tonnes... I currently have them up on my wall, along with all the Nitrogen stuff from AI!

I could really do with an A in this :s-smilie:
Reply 3
i need a b but i did really bad in both courseworks and scraped a b last year by getting an a in the unit 2 exam. Getting Bs and As in the past papers so hopefully i can learn everything for the exam and get a sound a in this exam to bring my grade to a high B
Reply 4
I'm finding it really difficult to know which parts of the storylines book are relevant.

There are so many examples of pesticides and herbicides and dyes and they all seem irrelevant. How do you guys decide which parts to remember?
Reply 5
gabbyruff
I'm finding it really difficult to know which parts of the storylines book are relevant.

There are so many examples of pesticides and herbicides and dyes and they all seem irrelevant. How do you guys decide which parts to remember?

Yeah I hate the Chemical Storylines as well! I wish our course was just concept-based... I suppose the best way of revising the book is just to look at past papers and see what knowledge ends up being tested, but since it's a new syllabus it's really hard to predict what will be in the exam.
Reply 6
fran-timms
Im doing this exam next Wednesday but for the January "Chemistry of Materials" I looked at the syllabus and then used the CGP revision guide for all the relevant storylines bits. Because the actual storylines book is awful.

I've found the hardest bit to be remembering all the reactants and conditions and catalysts. :s

What have you learnt about chemists role in developing medicines and ethical testing?
Reply 7
Chemists also use computer modelling to find a suitable molecule to make a compound out of.
NEW THREAD
This one is for the F335 Chemistry by Design Paper!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=25690385#post25690385

Join us. We have cookes. I'm not lying this time*
*yes I am

this is based off the success of the F332 chemistry of natural resources thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1282779&page=28

Latest

Trending

Trending