Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Advanced Higher Chemistry :: Pre-, During- and Post-Exam Thread :: Paper on page 12

Announcements Posted on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GetToIt!)
    P is just a mathematical operator! like an integral sign means "take the integral of" or the "dy/dy" notation means the derivative, or the squared sign means to multiply by itself etc

the symbol p means to "take the negative log of"

therefore when given Ka:

pKa = - logKa
    Well I can safely say I've never known it as a mathematical operator before. And if it was common knowledge, then there would be no need to list the pKa values alongside the Ka values in the databook.

Come to think of it, why every candidate doesn't get an A, is beyond me.... :eek3:
    Because not every candidate has access to good resources, good teaching, or they just simply don't have a flair for the subject, all those being through no fault of their own?

(Original post by Einstein's apprentice)
    It was a rather nice year for multiple choice.
    To be fair I did think most of the multiple choice was alright.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    hahahaha I forgot about that one.

Come to think of it, why every candidate doesn't get an A, is beyond me.... :eek3:
    You may have done well academically this year, but learn some damn perspective.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    hahahaha I forgot about that one.

How is it in there? In that ignorant little shell of yours? You may think you're all the way up at the top, but you're actually right at the bottom.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C274)
    Well I can safely say I've never known it as a mathematical operator before. And if it was common knowledge, then there would be no need to list the pKa values alongside the Ka values in the databook.

Because not every candidate has access to good resources, good teaching, or they just simply don't have a flair for the subject, all those being through no fault of their own?

Well actually, the SQA Arrangements are given to EVERY publicly funded and independent school, they are readily available to everyone. Information, for example, quote from unit 2 section of SQA arrangement documents:

"The dissociation constant of an acid can be represented by pKa where:
    pKa = - log Ka" (page 23, mid page)

Source: http://www.sqa.org.uk/files/nq/ChemistryAH.pdf

If you know what's in the documents then you can get a good grade, but hardly any candidates even attmept to look at the SQA issued material.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C274)

I prefer it in Maths and Physics (Advanced Higher) where its an entire written paper.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    34) A !!!!!!! It is so very clearly A ! ACID + AMMONIA = AMIDE
    it is the only formula with the amide link
    (COO)-(NH4)+ doesnt even make sense in solution! This was a higher level question.
    On p51 of the organic chemistry notes on ltscotland, it says the salt -answer B - needs to be heated to remove water and therefore produce the amide. Since there is no mention of heating in the question, and it actually says the ethanoic acid is dilute, I think the answer is B. It seems to be standard practice to write the formula of a salt that way, even if it is mostly dissociated in solution - look at part (a) on the same page in the notes for some examples!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WaldoXerxes)
    On p51 of the organic chemistry notes on ltscotland, it says the salt -answer B - needs to be heated to remove water and therefore produce the amide. Since there is no mention of heating in the question, and it actually says the ethanoic acid is dilute, I think the answer is B. It seems to be standard practice to write the formula of a salt that way, even if it is mostly dissociated in solution - look at part (a) on the same page in the notes for some examples!
    I thought you needed to heat as well but I wasn't sure since I couldn't find it in my notes.Thanks for confirming it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've already had this argument with him.
    We'll find out when the SQA put up the 2010 mark scheme.
    It says the same in my notes don't worry

But who knows who's right :dontknow:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unit 3. Learn all the reactions and what not.

For learning material: STAY AWAY from Scholar - they are so very very very very crap, I HIGHLY recommend using this website link:

http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/nq/resources/nq_library/subjectsearch.asp?strSearchNode= National+Qualifications\|Science +(NQ+category)\|Chemistry+(NQ+su bject)\|Chemistry+-+Advanced+Higher

If this link doesn't work, find it from the home page...

If you do everything here and learn it, you WILL get an A. Full and comprehensive notes on all units. TONS of additional questions on each unit, consolidation questions, calculation tips, project tips etc etc.

This is one of the reasons why I know I got an A, probably also one of the reason one of the TSR users said my head just burst HAHA because they have clearly done very crap and need to vent - I understand that, :p: Should have made better use of their time rather than giving bad rep to people to compensate for their spectacular dive bomb in their exam...
    Haha I see some people have been moaning about the exam. Cheers for the link for study materials, I just had a look at it and it looks really good, should hopefully help me achieve an A next year Also, well done on putting in the work and getting an A :yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerGoat)
    If you can, organic.
    The organic unit (3) is the one that candidates struggle with most as there is so much to learn.
    The second unit has a lot of calculations, so if you're not as strong as maths, getting to grips with that would be good.
    There is an AH Chemistry study guide by bright red coming out soon. They had an AH physics one this year that helped immensely and was detailed and succint, so buy one if you can! I think it comes out in September.
    There is also a calculations and PPA question book by Hodder Gibson that is quite useful.

One other bit if advice, get your investigation on track quickly, otherwise it will eat up a LOT of time, write it up as you go along too.

Best of luck! and hope this helps
    Ok cheers for the input I'll make sure I study these areas over the holidays so I'm well prepared for the course and the hard work which I assume will follow :eek3:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    34) A !!!!!!! It is so very clearly A ! ACID + AMMONIA = AMIDE
    it is the only formula with the amide link
    (COO)-(NH4)+ doesnt even make sense in solution! This was a higher level question.
    Sorry for bringing this up again, but:
    Have you checked the answers at http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/10miChemistryAH.pdf yet?

I apologise for feeling slightly smug. :smug:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked the answers at http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/10miChemistryAH.pdf yet?

If that means I was right, then I :love: you
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:

I feel like going "Up yours" you smug idiot to GetToIt! What an arrogant person to try and make out he knew everything and was always right.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRabbit)
    I feel like going "Up yours" you smug idiot to GetToIt! What an arrogant person to try and make out he knew everything and was always right.
    haha I so hope he comes on here and sees that now!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2010
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.