The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
A common form of OCD which most people dont consider as such is hypocondira however (in its extrmee forms I mean)
ferrus
A common form of OCD which most people dont consider as such is hypocondira however (in its extrmee forms I mean)

I wasn't aware of that. I never actually knew that I have some OCD's. I was following a link posted by someone on this thread and realised that somethings which I've been doing most of my life are clased as OCD.

Would you go to the Doctors about this condition?
darth_vader05
I wasn't aware of that. I never actually knew that I have some OCD's. I was following a link posted by someone on this thread and realised that somethings which I've been doing most of my life are clased as OCD.

Would you go to the Doctors about this condition?

If it is something that you experience a lot of anxiety over, or if it is impairing your ability to live your daily life, then yes you may want to consider speaking to your doctor about it.

Ocd is an anxiety disorder and is treatable with Cognitive Beahvioural therapy and medication. To get these treatments you would need to speak to your doctor and get them to refer you to a local mental health professional.
ferrus

That's a really good point!! :smile:

OCD can manifest itself in so many ways and it is such a diverse condition as there are so many types of ocd.
I wouldn't say that it's impairing my daily life, but it's kind of embarrasing because the few people that I've told have taken the mick. I don't like to cause a big fuss, so I think I'll not got to the doctors. Can they ever get better without medication?
darth_vader05
I wouldn't say that it's impairing my daily life, but it's kind of embarrasing because the few people that I've told have taken the mick. I don't like to cause a big fuss, so I think I'll not got to the doctors. Can they ever get better without medication?

Yes medication is only one treatment option and it can get better without medication but the best treatment really is Cognitive Behavioural therapy.(CBT).

There are a few good self help books that can help that use CBT based methods. Brain Lock by Dr Jeffrey Schwartz is a really good one, it's available to buy from amazon and it can help you to overcome it :smile: .
Reply 86
I think everyone has little quirks, OCD is different, it's when those quirks get otu of control and determine how you live your life. I have had lots of little things, which I'm sure aren't 'normal' (one example is opening my eyes really wide because I had a sort of fear that I couldn't do it), plus I get very anxious in some situations and I forget how to breath normally. My boyfriend says I have OCD but I've read up on it and I'm pretty sure I don't. Maybe mild anxiety disorder though..
Reply 87
ferrus

I get really panicy when people are ill, when I was younger I used to yell and scream at my family if they got a stomach bug or something, thinking they'd give it to me. I knew it wasn't their fault but I'd be so angry at them. I still feel resentment towards people who are ill near me, infact I blame them, and if I'm feeling stressed at the time then I'll still yell at them for it. The only thing that helped me was being aroudn my boyfriend when he's been ill, I think loving him and caring about him means that I'm better at overcoming the fear. I've still freaked out with him though, and for example if he throws up then although I'm more supportive, I breath really irregularly and shake uncontrollably. Also, afterwards, when he's gone to sleep, I lie awake all night breathing weirdly and checking every time he makes a sound, I can't calm down till I know he's ok the next morning. I don't know whether to seekm help or if its just somethign I'll have to live with and try to control.
no but I have tourettes!
only mild though. Took medication but it made me so tired I had to stop. Its ok at the moment. Can almost get away with people not noticing! :eek:
Reply 89
this thread has changed my life!
i always used to wonder what my behaviour might be called, but then i always decided that i must be the only one in the world who thinks that petty things must be perfect (and various other OCD symptoms). having read this thread i have finally come to know that this condition DOES have a name, and that i am not alone!
thank you people!
abid
i always used to wonder what my behaviour might be called, but then i always decided that i must be the only one in the world who thinks that petty things must be perfect (and various other OCD symptoms). having read this thread i have finally come to know that this condition DOES have a name, and that i am not alone!
thank you people!

That's great to hear!! :smile: . It is scary when you don't know what it is or can't give it a name. Best of Luck to youxx :smile:
Reply 91
as much i hate to be a complete pedant (yea right)...would some folk stop saying stuff like "i have OCD's". you do not. you either have OCD or you dont. its not plural. certain behaviours you do might be components of OCD and as such you may have the disorder but its not a certainty.
Reply 92
I have to read aloud the digits on a digital clock if there are four in alignment that are identical.
I have to not stand in front of closing doors that are on a hinge (ie not automatic) when they close...
If I put something in the microwave, I usually try to stop it before it finishes the timer, but only JUST before.
I need to wash my hands and leave the toilet before the bowl refills.

Not a scary life-damaging number of incidents, but enough to make me feel retarded sometimes. But I guess it makes me interesting to an extent.. all this abnormality!
abid
thank you people!

You most certainly are NOT alone. :hugs:
Reply 94
I don't suffer from OCD, but I do have the occasional phase where I count things, or can't step on the cracks..but I don't have the awful bit that some of you suffer from, with the death thoughts..I'm really sorry for you all :frown:

I have been reading a lot of books about anxiety and panic recently which have had a lot of good information on OCD, and how difficult it is to break the cycle.

A lot of the advise started with accepting your thoughts, I found this with my anxiety..I accepted it and some of it went. Once you have accepted it you can begin to focus on why you feel like this, and eventually be able to challenge your thoughts..that's probably the most difficult bit but a key step forward.

The focus was also often on getting your diet right and doing more exercise, sorting our your physical self and then your emotional self. As some people have said CBT is really succesful and effective, and there are lots of relaxation exercises around which can help you calm your mind and escape some of the horrid feelings.

Latest

Trending

Trending