The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks everyone, that's put my mind at rest. I was thinking it must be harder to detect a lump in a large breast, which was why I was getting concerned about how effective checking mine would be.
Reply 21
spin
Hum, well most versions of the pill give increased risk of breast cancer if used regularly for over a set period of time (along with lots of other lovely risks, have a read of the small print). Just check them every now and again and if you find any lumps go to the doctor. Though don't panic too badly if you do - quite often they're just benign cists or whatever..

Oestrogen is invovled with breast cancer, so taking the pill for a long time can increase your risk. Equally, women on the pill have regular check ups and breast cancer is generally detected earlier in women who are on the pill. After 10 years of not taking the pill the risk is the same as women who have never taken it.

However, women who take the pill also have a decreased risk of ovarian cancer.
Reply 22
i'm sure i've heard the opposite medical advice being said to the public -that breast size is irrelevant, but i'm not exactly genned-up on it. I think if it did bare any relation, the public would have been well and truely informed by now, to the extend that everyone on here would know the answer.
I don't think so... The only correlation I've heard of is that if you're being regularly scanned for breast cancer it takes larger amounts of radiation or whatever if you are bigger and large amounts of this can add to the risk - thatt's probably just be my mum telling me things with no scientific basis again though :redface:

Maybe you should see a doctor just in case? I think everyone gets soreness sometimes though, tis probably just that :smile:
allisandro
Oestrogen is invovled with breast cancer, so taking the pill for a long time can increase your risk. Equally, women on the pill have regular check ups and breast cancer is generally detected earlier in women who are on the pill. After 10 years of not taking the pill the risk is the same as women who have never taken it.

However, women who take the pill also have a decreased risk of cervical cancer.

Are they sure it does? I have to take it because my periods are so bad, and I already have an increased risk of breast cancer because of family history :frown:
Reply 25
*Bethany*
I don't think so... The only correlation I've heard of is that if you're being regularly scanned for breast cancer it takes larger amounts of radiation or whatever if you are bigger and large amounts of this can add to the risk - thatt's probably just be my mum telling me things with no scientific basis again though :redface:

Maybe you should see a doctor just in case? I think everyone gets soreness sometimes though, tis probably just that :smile:

I'm sure there's nothing wrong, I expect I'm just worrying too much as usual! I find my doctor a bit pervy and I'm not sure I want him feeling my breasts tbh!!
Reply 26
*Bethany*
Are they sure it does? I have to take it because my periods are so bad, and I already have an increased risk of breast cancer because of family history :frown:

The doctor wouldn't have put your on it if it wasn't safe. In the booklet that came with it there is a section that does say "the pill and cancer."

My Pill (Yasmin) Booklet

Every woman is at risk of breast cancer whether or not she takes the pill. Breast cancer is rare in women under 40. Breast cancer has been found slightly more often in women who take hte pill than in women of the same age who don't take the pill. If you stop taking the pill, this reduces your risk, so that 10 years after stopping the pill, the risk of finding breast cancer is the same as for women who have never taken the pill. Breast cancer seems less likely to have got worse when it has been found in women who take hte pill than it is in women who do not take the pill.

My last pill (Dianette) i'm sure had a graph to show the risks, if you have a google i'm sure you'll find it.

Also, i was wrong earlier - there is slightly increased risk of cervical cancer (but it is thought this could be to do with the sexual behaviour of women on the pill) but a DECREASED chance of OVARIAN cancer.
Reply 27
Eeyore
Not sure, I thought I remembered hearing it somewhere. I'm just kinda worried, I have big breasts anyway and they're worse now cos of the Pill, and they're a bit painful atm. :frown:

How much did your breasts grow on the pill, out of interest?
Reply 28
Jenna999
How much did your breasts grow on the pill, out of interest?

I don't want to give an exact figure/cup size etc, but they have grown a massive amount and it's hugely dented my confidence. They really get me down now, which they never used to. I'm tempted to come off the pill just for that reason, but it's so convenient for other things that I just can't decide what to do. :s: :frown:
Reply 29
Eeyore
I don't want to give an exact figure/cup size etc, but they have grown a massive amount and it's hugely dented my confidence. They really get me down now, which they never used to. I'm tempted to come off the pill just for that reason, but it's so convenient for other things that I just can't decide what to do. :s: :frown:

Thats really bad, I'm sorry. Ive heard of maybe a one/two cup size increase on the pill or something... is it more than that?

The only thing I'd say about coming off the pill is your breasts might not necessarily go back to their normal size. And if they dont, and you decide to go back on the pill, it might provoke even more growth...?
Reply 30
Jenna999
Thats really bad, I'm sorry. Ive heard of maybe a one/two cup size increase on the pill or something... is it more than that?

The only thing I'd say about coming off the pill is your breasts might not necessarily go back to their normal size. And if they dont, and you decide to go back on the pill, it might provoke even more growth...?

I'd say more than that. I've heard girls say that their breasts have shrunk after coming off the pill, but others have said that it was a permanent change. I guess you can never tell, because it has a different effect on different people. Sigh! :frown:
Reply 31
Thinking about it you could try changing to a mini pill, as I'm fairly sure its oestrogen that promotes the growth of breast tissue. That way, you might get lucky and your breasts might shrink, and you stil have contraceptive cover...
Reply 32
-TMG-
I doubt it. Kylie isn't exactly a brabuster. I myself think its more to do with your diet, and amount of processed and junk foods. If you go au naturel (organic) your risk is greatly reduced. Of all cancers.

Breast cancer is also hereditary.

So if your mum or aunts or grandmother had it, you'd be susceptible to it.
Reply 33
Jenna999
Thinking about it you could try changing to a mini pill, as I'm fairly sure its oestrogen that promotes the growth of breast tissue. That way, you might get lucky and your breasts might shrink, and you stil have contraceptive cover...

When my supply starts to run out, I'm going to look at alternatives and discuss them with my doctor. It's so embarrassing though, I've grown out of all my tops!! :redface: :frown:
Reply 34
Eeyore
When my supply starts to run out, I'm going to look at alternatives and discuss them with my doctor. It's so embarrassing though, I've grown out of all my tops!! :redface: :frown:

:frown: Not to mention bras, thats the most annoying thing surely?!
Reply 35
Jenna999
:frown: Not to mention bras, thats the most annoying thing surely?!

You can say that again. I'm totally broke at the moment as well, and I desperately need new bras but can't afford it. It really depresses me :frown:
Reply 36
I'm sorry. I dont really know what to say! It is bad to wear bras that are far too small though... Cant you just buy some new cheap ones (primark or something?) until you're a bit richer?
Reply 37
Jenna999
I'm sorry. I dont really know what to say! It is bad to wear bras that are far too small though... Cant you just buy some new cheap ones (primark or something?) until you're a bit richer?

It's so embarrassing... I'm at home most of the time writing while I'm waiting for my new job to start, so while I'm at home I just wear my kimono and nothing else!! I suppose I'm going to have to approach my parents for some more money, which I hate because I don't even live with them anymore! :s:
Reply 38
isn't it caused by mutated calls?can't have an effect...

unless bigger breasts=more cells=more chance of getting breast cancer

:rolleyes:
i would be really really suprised if size was any link, surely there isnt any trend or it would be widely published.

Latest

Trending

Trending