The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geog. Unit 4: tectonics HELP!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
RollerBall
Just be are that they are more likely to ask about what effects responses rather than what the actual responses were.

For each of my points I'm planning on briefly explaining what the response was (evac/etc) then explaing why they differ due to whatever reason/what causes the difference responses.

It's difficult because there are very few case studies that explicitly show say, a LEDC that wanted to do something but was limited by wealth, I keep talking quite generally which is fustrating.

are you going to link the responses to the event profiles though? for example: the greater the frequency of the event the more prepared people will be, so if an event occurs twice in a human lifetime the second time round they will be better prepared to respond, evacuate and ultimately deal with the aftermath of the event..?
CrypticG
are you going to link the responses to the event profiles though? for example: the greater the frequency of the event the more prepared people will be, so if an event occurs twice in a human lifetime the second time round they will be better prepared to respond, evacuate and ultimately deal with the aftermath of the event..?

That's one point yes. My report I'm learning to adjust based on the title goes like this;

Intro
Explain purpose of report
Define tectonic activity/response
Explain Dregg model
Introduce factors that effect responses with a table
Introduce case studies and say what will be evaluated in the report (MEDC/LEDC, Rural/Urban, Event profiles)

Analysis
Event profile
Hazard event profile for two contrasting magnitude volcanoes (Kiluea/Pinatubo). Explain how differences in magnitudes lead to different responses, due to speed of onset/magnitude/predictability. Explain how frequency and legnth led to different long term responses. Breifly explain the two events, some examples of what the responses where but focus on explaining how the differences effected respones.

Event profile for two contrasting magnitude 'quakes (Chile/Northridge). Explain how lower magnitude led to different responses, chile requiring higher emergency aid etc.

Conclude the differences, noting that earthquakes due to unpredictability/speed of onset will always generate a different, more immediate responses even at similar magnitudes to volcanoes.

MEDC/LEDC
Compare Kobe and Haiti, similar magnitude earthquakes however resulting in very different responses. Explain how LEDCs finances limit certain things, bigger reliance on aid, invest money into general quality of life rather than mitigating uncertain hazards.

Compare Monserrat and Loma Prieta with parks model to explain the differences over time, and how wealth can impact this. That aid can be used to alter responses however aid often dries up over longer periods of time after the initial disaster preventing long term prevention responses.

Conclude with differences/generalise/etc.

Rural vs Urban

Rural are less likely to be effected by the hazard due to population density, however aid takes longer to reach them, more likely to be less prepared etc.

Use pakistan as an example, explain the differences in responses between their urban and rural responses time/effort.

Conclude with that despite rural are less likely to suffer a large impact, so require less reponses, these responses often take too long due to limitations in access and lack of planning.

Conclusion

Conclude answering original question, link back dregg model, sum up over all report.

Bibliography
Bunch of random sources I can remember, explain some bias, guess which ones I used for which. Liklihood of them checking this is low so I'm going to blag it.
Reply 22
RollerBall
That's one point yes. My report I'm learning to adjust based on the title goes like this;

Intro
Explain purpose of report
Define tectonic activity/response
Explain Dregg model
Introduce factors that effect responses with a table
Introduce case studies and say what will be evaluated in the report (MEDC/LEDC, Rural/Urban, Event profiles)

Analysis
Event profile
Hazard event profile for two contrasting magnitude volcanoes (Kiluea/Pinatubo). Explain how differences in magnitudes lead to different responses, due to speed of onset/magnitude/predictability. Explain how frequency and legnth led to different long term responses. Breifly explain the two events, some examples of what the responses where but focus on explaining how the differences effected respones.

Event profile for two contrasting magnitude 'quakes (Chile/Northridge). Explain how lower magnitude led to different responses, chile requiring higher emergency aid etc.

Conclude the differences, noting that earthquakes due to unpredictability/speed of onset will always generate a different, more immediate responses even at similar magnitudes to volcanoes.

MEDC/LEDC
Compare Kobe and Haiti, similar magnitude earthquakes however resulting in very different responses. Explain how LEDCs finances limit certain things, bigger reliance on aid, invest money into general quality of life rather than mitigating uncertain hazards.

Compare Monserrat and Loma Prieta with parks model to explain the differences over time, and how wealth can impact this. That aid can be used to alter responses however aid often dries up over longer periods of time after the initial disaster preventing long term prevention responses.

Conclude with differences/generalise/etc.

Rural vs Urban

Rural are less likely to be effected by the hazard due to population density, however aid takes longer to reach them, more likely to be less prepared etc.

Use pakistan as an example, explain the differences in responses between their urban and rural responses time/effort.

Conclude with that despite rural are less likely to suffer a large impact, so require less reponses, these responses often take too long due to limitations in access and lack of planning.

Conclusion

Conclude answering original question, link back dregg model, sum up over all report.

Bibliography
Bunch of random sources I can remember, explain some bias, guess which ones I used for which. Liklihood of them checking this is low so I'm going to blag it.

That looks well planned and should be enough to score a good grade :p: , how many case studies are you thinking of using within that by the way? Also are you using all the hazard event profiles within your report? Frequency, Magnitude, Duration, Areal Extent, Speed of onset, Spacial Predictability? and linking other factors such as economic development, wealth, advantages Vs disadvantages of living in hazard prone areas?

I was planning on doing more or less the same introduction as you, with dreggs model included, but then sub-titling my report with the hazard types; Volcano, Earthquake and Tsunami. Then conclude the report referring to dreggs model and my introduction saying that the response will always be greater if the hazard has been experienced before..

I too will be blagging the bibliography haha very doubtful it will be checked :p:

What do you think the question will be..?
CrypticG
That looks well planned and should be enough to score a good grade :p: , how many case studies are you thinking of using within that by the way? Also are you using all the hazard event profiles within your report? Frequency, Magnitude, Duration, Areal Extent, Speed of onset, Spacial Predictability? and linking other factors such as economic development, wealth, advantages Vs disadvantages of living in hazard prone areas?

I was planning on doing more or less the same introduction as you, with dreggs model included, but then sub-titling my report with the hazard types; Volcano, Earthquake and Tsunami. Then conclude the report referring to dreggs model and my introduction saying that the response will always be greater if the hazard has been experienced before..

I too will be blagging the bibliography haha very doubtful it will be checked :p:

What do you think the question will be..?

It'll just be a re-word of the pre-release tbh. They always are, they never change it much. I'm using Kiluea/Pinatubo, Chile/Northridge, Kobe/Haiti, Monseratt/Loma Priest and Pakistan. So 9. It sounds a lot but it really isn't. It's more name dropping and the odd fact, not in depth case studies. It's difficult to use in depth case studies with factors that effect responses because they're quite generic.

I'm only using hazard event profiles for the hazards themselves in the first section. Two profiles, one with both volcanoes on, one with both earthquakes. Then a parks model for monseratte/Loma Prieta and the dregg model. Only diagrams I'm doing to use. Except a table in the intro showing the physical/human factors that effect response.
Reply 24
RollerBall
It'll just be a re-word of the pre-release tbh. They always are, they never change it much. I'm using Kiluea/Pinatubo, Chile/Northridge, Kobe/Haiti, Monseratt/Loma Priest and Pakistan. So 9. It sounds a lot but it really isn't. It's more name dropping and the odd fact, not in depth case studies. It's difficult to use in depth case studies with factors that effect responses because they're quite generic.

I'm only using hazard event profiles for the hazards themselves in the first section. Two profiles, one with both volcanoes on, one with both earthquakes. Then a parks model for monseratte/Loma Prieta and the dregg model. Only diagrams I'm doing to use. Except a table in the intro showing the physical/human factors that effect response.

Ahh so basically the question will be pretty much the same? Meaning we can more or less plan what we are going to write, say tonight, then go into the exam tomorrow morning and pretty much fly through the introduction etc. Yeah cool i have 8 to use and quite a few others for name dropping with random facts to throw in :smile:.

Timing also seems relatively short 90 minutes to write a full in depth report, with a range of case studies and a decent conclusion, i think my had will be aching more than it was for unit 3 last week :P:
CrypticG
Ahh so basically the question will be pretty much the same? Meaning we can more or less plan what we are going to write, say tonight, then go into the exam tomorrow morning and pretty much fly through the introduction etc. Yeah cool i have 8 to use and quite a few others for name dropping with random facts to throw in :smile:.

Timing also seems relatively short 90 minutes to write a full in depth report, with a range of case studies and a decent conclusion, i think my had will be aching more than it was for unit 3 last week :P:

That's exactly what I've done. I wrote out a report last week, my teacher marked it and now I'm learning it. The introduction will need to be tweaked ever so slightly to match the title and the conclusion will need to be tweaked ever so slightly.

The bare bones of the analysis will stay the same, the only difference being the evaluation at the end of each section will need to be tweaked to link to the question, rather than a generic statement.

The timing will be alright I think. 90 minutes, if you have say 6 sections (Intro, Hazard, Development, Rural/Urban, conclusion, bibliography) that's 15 minutes per section. Bibligraphy will take 5 minutes, conclusion around 10, same for intro. Leaving over 20 minutes per section for the rest. It won't be so bad.

I do think the exam itself is inherently flawed though. I'm sorry, but asking somebody to write a report under exam conditions is frankly absurd. It has no bearing to skills or knowledge. If you ever wrote a report in the real world you're not going to sit in a room with no resources.

It is no test of geographical knowledge, just if you can remember a 5 page report and slightly adapt it. Low mark questions are a much better indication of knowledge than this excuse for an exam.
Reply 26
RollerBall
That's exactly what I've done. I wrote out a report last week, my teacher marked it and now I'm learning it. The introduction will need to be tweaked ever so slightly to match the title and the conclusion will need to be tweaked ever so slightly.

The bare bones of the analysis will stay the same, the only difference being the evaluation at the end of each section will need to be tweaked to link to the question, rather than a generic statement.

The timing will be alright I think. 90 minutes, if you have say 6 sections (Intro, Hazard, Development, Rural/Urban, conclusion, bibliography) that's 15 minutes per section. Bibligraphy will take 5 minutes, conclusion around 10, same for intro. Leaving over 20 minutes per section for the rest. It won't be so bad.

I do think the exam itself is inherently flawed though. I'm sorry, but asking somebody to write a report under exam conditions is frankly absurd. It has no bearing to skills or knowledge. If you ever wrote a report in the real world you're not going to sit in a room with no resources.

It is no test of geographical knowledge, just if you can remember a 5 page report and slightly adapt it. Low mark questions are a much better indication of knowledge than this excuse for an exam.

completely agree with you, sir.
Reply 27
RollerBall

Yeah same here mate, i wrote my report the other week and added bits and bobs to it, as i revised and went through the case studies.. I totally agree about tweaking the intro and conclusion to suit the question :biggrin: shouldn't be too hard. Ahh i was slightly worried about timing but putting it like that it seems not too bad actually.

HAHA! my teacher also said to me that he thinks the exam is a load of BS :p: and it wont be long before edexcel realise that everyone is just writing there answer before the exam date and remembering there plan :smile:
I totally agree, the exam is ridiculous. also the fact we only get the focus 4 weeks prior is stupid. AQA gave us our pre-release for BUSS4 in February, which was far better as we had a clear focus of what to do.

The focus is too vacuous... event profile... I'm sure you've all done similar research. There is nothing on the Internet about it and there are only a few text books that consider it. If Edxecel insist on a report, they should've made it coursework if they want it of an adequate standard. I'm sorry but 1hr30 is unrealistic for a REPORT.
I think they'll change the format next year... or at least the timing, they did for unit 2 didn't they?
Reply 29
I fell into yesterday
I totally agree, the exam is ridiculous. also the fact we only get the focus 4 weeks prior is stupid. AQA gave us our pre-release for BUSS4 in February, which was far better as we had a clear focus of what to do.

The focus is too vacuous... event profile... I'm sure you've all done similar research. There is nothing on the Internet about it and there are only a few text books that consider it. If Edxecel insist on a report, they should've made it coursework if they want it of an adequate standard. I'm sorry but 1hr30 is unrealistic for a REPORT.
I think they'll change the format next year... or at least the timing, they did for unit 2 didn't they?

yehh for unit 2, they initially allocated 1 hour to complete the exam which was wayyyyy under-estimated and everyone across the country did pretty poor. I think edexcel even uploaded a report about the timing issues as dozens of colleges across the country complained.. So they really pushed the boat out and added 15 minutes to the exam time! haha
CrypticG
yehh for unit 2, they initially allocated 1 hour to complete the exam which was wayyyyy under-estimated and everyone across the country did pretty poor. I think edexcel even uploaded a report about the timing issues as dozens of colleges across the country complained.. So they really pushed the boat out and added 15 minutes to the exam time! haha

They also added UMS to everyone across the board. I'm not complaining.
haha, Gotta' love Edexcel, I really appreciated those extra 15minutes in January... if I noticed them!
The second paper was much nicer than the 1st one
Reply 32
I was orginally going to have 2 headings of human and physical and then have different subheadings underneath them...such as magnitude and frequency, spatial extent, development etc

Do you think this would be okay?

Im getting so confused! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending