The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry AS unit 2 revision help

Hey,

Had these notes on my computer from years ago. I saw that some of you were asking questions releated to some of this. Thought I'd share these notes with you.

Please note that they are notes from an old As chemistry specification and some stuff is not relevant!

Don't hesitate to ask me any questions.

Organic chem.zip

Thermochemistry.zip

P.s. I have loads of chemistry and biology notes, some at degree level. If you ever want something, message me and I will be happy to help anyone!
thats really great for you to give these to use :smile: im already pertty confident i'll get 90%+, but these will be very useful :biggrin:
+rep my friend
How do you identify the name of this alkane CH3(CH2)3CH(CH3)CH3 from its structural formulae
can someone explain it to me step by step please...
Reply 3
I_Need_To_Revise
How do you identify the name of this alkane CH3(CH2)3CH(CH3)CH3 from its structural formulae
can someone explain it to me step by step please...

Best way to do this is if you're unsure, draw it out.

To name, pick the longest chain. The ones in brackets are groups coming off the previous carbon group so in this case 5 is the longest carbon chain.

So pentane. Then you look at the groups, both are CH3 (i'm assuming you meant CH2(CH3)) so they are methyl groups.

Two methyl groups: dimethyl(pentane)

Then you need to say where the groups are, count along, start from the lowest number carbon (though it's the same in this case)

Making: 1,4-dimethylpentane
Reply 4
Nymthae

To name, pick the longest chain. The ones in brackets are groups coming off the previous carbon group so in this case 5 is the longest carbon chain.

So pentane. Then you look at the groups, both are CH3 (i'm assuming you meant CH2(CH3)) so they are methyl groups.

Then you need to say where the groups are, count along, start from the lowest number carbon (though it's the same in this case)

Oh i thought she meant CH2(x3):o: Like this:

CH3 (CH2)3 CH(CH3) CH3

So it would be 1-methylhexane. :unsure:
Reply 5
Maybe so, it's always unclear but I guess the process is there, even if i'm a failure :biggrin: I should l2read
Reply 6
Nymthae
Maybe so, it's always unclear but I guess the process is there, even if i'm a failure :biggrin: I should l2read

Sorry, i'm just being picky because i tried to explain how to do it but didn't know how :o:
Reply 7
Jessikar
Oh i thought she meant CH2(x3):o: Like this:

CH3 (CH2)3 CH(CH3) CH3

So it would be 1-methylhexane. :unsure:

:no: It would be 2 - methylhexane. Notice where a methyl group branches of on the second C and not the first C.
Reply 8
Pedus
:no: It would be 2 - methylhexane. Notice where a methyl group branches of on the second C and not the first C.

Yeah. I drew it correctly, just did the wrong one:o:
Nymthae

I checked the answer and its 2-methylhexane :s-smilie:
Reply 10
I couldn't tell where the number was on glance. See above :tongue:

Work it through the same way though, if you draw it out you will see a six carbon chain, for hexane and then a methyl group in carbon 2.

Latest

Trending

Trending