The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Bristol or Imperial?

I've got offers at both to read Maths with Physics (in some combo or another)... Imperial is obviously very reputable, but people say that the academic pressure is really tough and it is competitive (and they chuck u out if u screw up ur 1st yr). London is also v expensive and there's no 'campus' feel to going there...
I like the Bristol maths dept I think it has a really good atmosphere and is obviously very well run, though the phys dept less so. but bristol has got that campus feel and I think the city has everything London has to offer, but is cheaper....

Can anyone recommend or give any advice on which one I should choose?
Reply 1
Imperial.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Sami86
Imperial.

yep.

thou both are fab, well done! very different atmosphere's thou so you might want to check them both out at open days.
Reply 3
Imperial - it has a better reputation.
Reply 4
4Ed
I've got offers at both to read Maths with Physics (in some combo or another)... Imperial is obviously very reputable, but people say that the academic pressure is really tough and it is competitive (and they chuck u out if u screw up ur 1st yr). London is also v expensive and there's no 'campus' feel to going there...
I like the Bristol maths dept I think it has a really good atmosphere and is obviously very well run, though the phys dept less so. but bristol has got that campus feel and I think the city has everything London has to offer, but is cheaper....

Can anyone recommend or give any advice on which one I should choose?

well it sounds like u know 'deep down' where u wanna go, but ur just giving imperial a 2nd thought cos of its reputation and the fact thats it imperial! afterall.....u will be stuck somewhere for 3 yrs.....so perhaps Bristol suits u more.
Reply 5
My cousins have all gone to Imperial and they love it. Money as a factor will always be there, but not the be all and end all...providing you spend wisely
Reply 6
IMPERIAL -EXCELLENT REP although choose where u really wanna go, rep is just one factor
Reply 7
Sounds as though you want to go to Bristol but the prestige of Imp. is holding you back. Personally I would choose Bristol for similar reasons to you. Repuatation isn't everything and Bristol is an excellent uni.
Reply 8
Sazzle
Sounds as though you want to go to Bristol but the prestige of Imp. is holding you back. Personally I would choose Bristol for similar reasons to you. Repuatation isn't everything and Bristol is an excellent uni.

ummm another 'slight' factor (excuse me for being a bloke):
What are the girls like at Imperial? I couldnt see any who were particularly fit while I was there...
Reply 9
4Ed
ummm another 'slight' factor (excuse me for being a bloke):
What are the girls like at Imperial? I couldnt see any who were particularly fit while I was there...

thats because there are hardly any there.... Imperial has one of the highest male:female ratios out of all the unis in the country.

I think bristol. It has a fantastic nightlife....
Reply 10
I didn't like either.
Reply 11
hello =) personally, i would choose imperial (reputation?). but it sounds like you like bristol a lot more. i'm not that knowledgable about UK schools, but i believe bristol is one of the top schools in UK. you'll certainly have a good academic experience there (so, you don't lose anything by going there!). i agree with the others. if bristol's atmosphere suits you more, go there. it won't do you any good to go to a place you don't feel comfortable at :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending