The Student Room Group

gcses for physiotherapy (general profile)

Hey guys, I am considering applying for physio but my gcses are terrible. All the aspects of my profile are great but i just looked on ucas and alot of the unis say ''in one sitting'', does this mean that we are not aloud to apply with retakes. my profile is shown below with the gcse retakes.

GCSEs

core science B
Additional science B (retaken from a D)
English lit B (retaken from a D)
English Lang C
Psychology C
Geography C
Resistant materials B
Citizenship B
R.E E
Maths B
french B

AS Levels

biology A
chemistry A
psychology A
English A

Expected A-Levels

biology A
chemistry A
psychology A*

Rugby for two teams in Bristol
County squash
tennis for two clubs in Bristol
work in two hospitals
high fitness

lol i know this is really rough but i really would like to know. I also want to go a real uni (not a metropolitan one) like Bristol, Brighton, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, London. thankz guyz
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
The 'no retakes' rule applies more to A levels (most universities prefer that you don't take them over the course of three years).

On the whole, your GCSEs are not terrible by any means (you passed all the subjects that matter) and your A levels more than compensate for any weaknesses there (and are far more important to gain admission). You're also doing relevant A level subjects like Biology.

If you can achieve your predicted A level grades, string together a good personal statement which demonstrates your understanding of the profession and highlights your work experience, I'd say you have a very good chance of meeting any offers.
Reply 3
Your A levels look pretty good, so they will probably compensate for your GCSE's.
All courses are regulated by the HPC and must teach certain things, so in a lot of ways it doesn't matter which uni you go to, the course content will be the same, although the teaching style may differ.
And a lot of 'real' unis (as you put it) don't do physio- Manchester uni doesn't (only Man Met), Bristol uni doesn't (only UWE) so you might want to check it out, and stop being stuck up!
Reply 4
I've helped with the interview process at George's for the last few years and we really don't take too much notice of GCSE retakes etc if the person has subsequently demonstrated good AS levels or some other alternative.

It may have changed but I think the Brighton course is based at Eastbourne. Not sure what the night life is like there but I've always thought it was great in Brighton.

Latest