The Student Room Group

OCR AS Eng Lit- What Topics Can Come Up In The Poetry Exam?

I was wondering what topics can come up in the poetry section. I'm doing Wilfred Owen. How are people doing for quotes? I think I'm attempting to memorise too many (20 per poem) which I'm struggling with. I thought if I did a mind map with all the topics I could drastically cut down on the number of quotes I need to learn.

So possible topics please!!!
thanks
Reply 1
20 per poem is WAY too many. I learnt about 3/4 per poem. If one theme is covered by another quote in another poem, take one out of your quote bank. They are quite vague themes in the exam, ours was "the experience of the soldier" or something, and the given poem was 'Disabled'. I loved that exam, hopefully you will get as good a theme!
Reply 2
Adamn
20 per poem is WAY too many. I learnt about 3/4 per poem. If one theme is covered by another quote in another poem, take one out of your quote bank. They are quite vague themes in the exam, ours was "the experience of the soldier" or something, and the given poem was 'Disabled'. I loved that exam, hopefully you will get as good a theme!

What mark did you get, if you don't mind me asking? BTW I'm aiming for 100%, realistic or not? Thanks.
Reply 3
I got about 95/120 for the exam, but I got a B overall. Erm, if you're that good then I don't see why you shouldn't aim that high, but essay subjects can be so subjective; it really depends on who is marking it.
What good structural points are there in poems to talk about?

I just keep going on about Para rhyme and the sort.

BFN,

NWO
Reply 5
Adamn
I got about 95/120 for the exam, but I got a B overall. Erm, if you're that good then I don't see why you shouldn't aim that high, but essay subjects can be so subjective; it really depends on who is marking it.

Well in the Coursework I got 35/40, and well that means that I can miss out on an A by a few marks and still get an A overall, but getting 100% would ease the pressure next year. :smile: . I've noticed that my writing style is too mechanical 'This shows', 'This presents', however I have a tendency to hit the AO's most of the time , lol. Just gotta improve on my writing style a bit, but then again I've seen some Exemplar essays and some have had the most boring style of writing yet are graded band 6.

Latest

Trending

Trending