The Student Room Group

Sunbeds?

Interested to hear from those who have used sunbeds, I never have, I understand there is a risk of skin cancer but is the risk any worse than with the sun??

Those who use them, how long do you go on for? and how often?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Once a month for 3 or 6 minutes. That's enough to keep me brown on top of a dake bake once every 10 days or so. I use them more if i'm in the middle of nationals season with cheer because it helps keep my muscles warm therefore less achey.

Risk is probably no worse - you're being exposed to the same stuff. However most people wear a sunscreen outside in the summer whereas most people dont on sunbeds. That's probably the crucial factor.
Reply 2
My friend uses them for five minutes once a month, I'm worried for her because the use of sunbeds for tanning is exposing the skin to UV, UVA, and UVB types of radiation that are linked to skin cancer, the same radiation emitted by the sun.
If any of these points apply to you, it is recommended that you do not use a sunbed;
- People who have very fair skin
- Under 16s
- People who burn very easily or tan poorly
- People with lots of freckles or moles
- People who've had skin cancer or who have a family history of the disease
- People taking medication that could make their skin more sensitive to ultra-violet light
Just be careful if you do use one, please.
Reply 3
I don't really understand how its different to being in the sun? I totally understand the risk of the sun in general, so im guessing sunbeds are no worse?
Reply 4
Never used them and well aware of the risks, think i might stick to spray :smile:
Reply 5
monstermunch1
I don't really understand how its different to being in the sun? I totally understand the risk of the sun in general, so im guessing sunbeds are no worse?

It might be because it's real close up exposure to the rays. Duno.

OP if you do go on one make sure it has goggles for the eyes. I used to live in Sheffield and the one at my gym didn't have any safety precautions listed - so I could use it under the age of 16 and also knew nothing of the dangers to my eyes.

I'm not a regular user though, only during one time period of the year, and not for long.
So glad I do not have to go through this polava to look ''brown'' lol . .
Reply 7
CuteStar*
Never used them and well aware of the risks, think i might stick to spray :smile:

Every single time I've used fake tan it looks horrible, what one do you use? And do you use one for the face so it all matches? Because they usually give me pimples.
monstermunch1

At ground level, sunlight is mostly UVA radiation. Sunbeds contain UVA radiation too, but also UVB and UVC radiation. You don't have the atmosphere to protect you from UVB and UVC radiation when you are in a sunbed as you would in normal sunlight.

Some sources say that 20m in a sunbed is about the same as sitting in the sun for four hours in terms of the dosage you are receiving.
Reply 9
monstermunch1

They're more intense than the sun. My friend who's a beautician said that 2 minutes on a sun bed is the same as a whole day in the midday sun.

You get a tan but you can also get pigmentation. It's best to steer clear and use fake tan, there are a lot of good ones out there. If you do use sun beds, don't after or before sun exposure because your skin will end up being too sensitive.
RahRah09
They're more intense than the sun. My friend who's a beautician said that 2 minutes on a sun bed is the same as a whole day in the midday sun.

I always consult my beautician on matters regarding Physics.
Reply 11
GodspeedGehenna
I always consult my beautician on matters regarding Physics.

But lets be fair, as a beautician I bet she gets clients coming in asking her to work on minimising sun damage. She's probably fairly good on the subject but that does sound a bit far-fetched.
Reply 12
RahRah09
My friend who's a beautician said that 2 minutes on a sun bed is the same as a whole day in the midday sun.

Hahaha, genius.

It roughly works out to 1 minute on a sunbed = 10 minutes in the sun.
According to the NHS website, "many sunbeds give out greater doses of UV rays than the midday Mediterranean sun". In addition:

"Getting a tan using a sunbed is not safer than tanning in the sun. In some cases, it may be more harmful, depending on, for example:
the strength (dose) of UV rays from the sunbed,
how many times or how often you use a sunbed,
how long your sessions are,
what type of skin you have, such as fair or dark, and
your age.
Currently, there is no regulation that governs the type or strength of UV rays that sunbeds give out."

Personally, I'd rather be pale rather than damage and age my skin dramatically, or smell of orange fake tan. Just look at Nicole Kidman for an example of someone who looks amazing without any of that.
Reply 14
nicole kidman is also stick thin so she can get away with it!
Yeah, you're right... Overweight orange people look fabulous.
Reply 16
i use sunbeds sometimes, it is scarrrry!
I used to use them in my early 20s and really regret it now. I didn't use them frequently but maybe just every few weeks as the weather moved into summer. Now I'm 29 and in the last few years it's starting to catch up with me - just small spots of pigmentation from too much sun/sunbeds so now I only stick to using a very good self tanner. Wish I'd never used sunbeds at all! A sunbed session will last you a few weeks maybe of having a nice tan, but you'll pay in the (permanent) damage it will do you later.
oh for gods sake don't use sunbeds. of course it's worse than being in the sun!

don't choose your looks over your health.. absolutely ridiculous!!!!

you can get pretty much the same look from a decent spray tan anyway...
Reply 19
Frogerella, i'm with Monstermunch on this one. Believe me i've tried going sans tan and it just doesn't suit me. I'm 5'11, same as Kidman, healthy size 14 (not the same as Kidman haha!)...but you have to accept being pale just DOESN'T suit some people.

Latest