The Student Room Group
Reply 1
maybe just do AS further maths
It's a lot of work. My best friend did the maths A level in one year and dropped fmaths. My other friend who is a genius at maths (also doing medicine), dropped fmaths as well in year 13. I wouldn't bother seriously, it's a lot of work and you can learn it in your spare time later if you wish.

By the way, my best friend got into Imperial for medicine and the genius friend into cambridge for medicine, without fmaths. Don't worry!
Reply 3
Well, it would certainly differentiate you from the other candidates...Depends though, because you actually have to be able to apply and recognise how and when to use mathematical ideas, not simply just plug into formulas like you do in GCSE and to some extent in C1 and C2

And as above, Further Maths AS may not be a bad idea, and if you don't like it, then you've got 4 other subjects anyway
It would. Perhaps you could do the Maths A level in one year, proving your maths and allowing you to focus on the sciences. I wish I had done that :frown:
Reply 5
spoinkytheduck
So... would further maths add any value to a med school application or should I think about doing something else?

When applying for med school they would on see maths on the application whether it was normal maths or further so i would say stick to normal maths. I'm doing the exact same subjects and can guarentee you your bound to drop one of them (most likely physics :sick:) and further maths would give you an advantage but doing normal maths would give you less of a chance. I would say stick to normal becuase the work load would be immense

Latest