Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eurovision

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
  • View Poll Results: Which is the best winning song of the 21st century?
    "Satellite" by Lena (Germany - 2010)
    12.12%
    "Fairytale" by Alexander Rybak (Norway - 2009)
    33.33%
    "Believe" by Dima Bilan (Russia - 2008)
    2.02%
    "Molitva" by Marija erifović (Serbia - 2007)
    6.06%
    "Hard Rock Hallelujah" by Lordi (Finland - 2006)
    27.27%
    "My Number One" by Helena Paparizou (Greece - 2005)
    2.02%
    "Wild Dances" by Ruslana Lyzhichko (Ukraine - 2004)
    4.04%
    "Everyway That I Can" by Sertab Erener (Turkey - 2003)
    5.05%
    "I Wanna" by Marie N (Latvia - 2002)
    0%
    "Everybody" by Tanel Padar, Dave Benton & 2XL (Estonia - 2001)
    2.02%
    "Fly on the Wings of Love" by The Olsen Brothers (Denmark - 2000)
    6.06%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsuPqiCjyag

This was the real winning act!!! Even though just an interval haha
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinhat88)

Yes, very impressive!! :yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinhat88)

Yeah seriously. It was AMAZING. Wish it could've won
    • 44 followers

Hello guys, being an Entertainment mod and now a social group mod, just checking that you're all sorted/happy in here for your group leader and deputy leaders? Any of the leaders now confused as to how to manage the group? If the leader/a deputy could quote or PM me, that'd be great. If people think there aren't any leaders that are still active and are desperate to lead the soc, please quote me too. Thanks.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you watch it? - I do indeed, mainly because of the voting at the end. I aint much of a music lover but will cheer and vote for songs that deserve it. The last song that truly deserved to win was probably the Olsen Bros.

What do you think of it? Good?/Bad?/Why?

Should countries like the UK still compete?
    I think so, with the new rules of splitting the votes between juries and televotes its become fairer. That the jurors are named is a good move as it means if they're seen backing crap songs then they ruin themselves. Germany winning this year is a catalystic reason why we ought to keep at it.

What kind of song has the best chance of winning Eurovision?
    One that gets the most points. - TBH We all have different opinions of songs and what we thinj should win. Something thats catchy and keeps you interested all the way through should have a good chance.

What kind of music do you like to see at Eurovision?

See above

What did you think of this year's competition

Interesting. Germany presented a decent song, and tbf a 'good' song did win the competition this year which hasnt happened in recent years, Fairytale wasnt bad either. This year I voted for the first time since 2008 (Latvia) and I voted for Tom Dice, there was a winning song if ever I saw one
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you watch it? Course I do and usually all the semi finals as well
    What do you think of it? Amazing, its just amazing
    Should countries like the UK still compete? Yeah course, someone has to come last
    What kind of song has the best chance of winning Eurovision? I'd like to think cheesy but it varies every year
    What kind of music do you like to see at Eurovision? Cheesy music, its what its all about
    What did you think of this year's competition? Yeah it was good. Can't wait for next years!

In that vote I put Satellite but it was a hard choice between that and Fairytale both of which are on my ipod and I voted for.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you watch it?
    Nope

It's not really my type of music most of the time, and I just don't watch tv, but I can't say if it's good/bad as so.

They don't?

A different song, people get bored with same old stuff.

Metal, but that's my biased option. :p:

What did you think of this year's competition?
    Didn't watch it.

... I used to watch it when I was little, but when I moved coutry I stopped watching tv, last song I heard about was Lordi's, but that's because my brother and I like that type of music.
    • 44 followers

(Original post by edwardchelski)
    :wavey:
    Hi, I've been going round the social groups since the upgrade making sure all the leaders are active and are happy with their groups. I notice you haven't spotted my previous post about this and I'm just making sure that you're still happy to lead the group? If not, you can use the transfer request button on the main group page to pass it over to anybody willing.

Thanks,
    CS
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you watch it?
    I usually do, I remember as far back as when Jemini (what kind of stupid name was that?) got us diddly squat, but I only really started watching it the year that Lordi won

It's quite good, but IMO, there should be less countries in the actual final - no offence ESC organisers but 3 hours is a bit too long for me

If we can actually bother with a good song and doing what ALW did in 2009 and went to all the different countries lobbying for votes (although I'm still not happy with how they did the auditions that year, as we saw all the story of the first 5 finalists, and then they were just like "oh, and we have jade ewen as well" - you could tell that they wanted her to be the UK rep from the start)

There isn't actually a particular type of song - compare "Fairytale" and "Believe" with "Hard Rock Hallelujah", as long as it's catchy, then it has a shot

I'd like to see more of the sort of stuff that groups like Within Temptation and Nightwish produce, but that's probably not going to happen. Love the silly stuff though (Lithuania's "We are the winners" is still stuck in my head 2/3 years on, as is Germany's "Miss Kiss Kiss Bang" from 2009 - that should have come higher than 5th)

What did you think of this year's competition?
    Appalling, actually. I wonder if we had had that Cypriot group (where a few of them were actually British) representing the UK, would we have got more points?

Next year - I agree with the idea that we should have someone a bit more famous to represent us, but if we did that, then they'd probably get someone like Leona Lewis to do it (no offence to her, she's a good singer, but I detest her music). Groups such as JLS might have a chance, but, (and considering I'm actually struggling for any good UK solo artists, with the exception of Lily Allen) what I would absolutely LOVE would be if Muse went and did Eurovision, we'd probably get a fair amount of votes out of it, as it looks as though they have a huge European fanbase.....

^^ Shame that's probably never going to happen though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe that Eurovision is such a grotesque yet such an interesting 'competition'. We British must treat it as a joke every year because it is noway near a reflection of our such fantastic range and quality of music. I don't think I've ever had a Eurovision song on my iPod apart from probably ABBA temporarily.
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK471993)
    I believe that Eurovision is such a grotesque yet such an interesting 'competition'. We British must treat it as a joke every year because it is noway near a reflection of our such fantastic range and quality of music.
    Actually, I think you treat it like a joke because you know that you'll get such low marks no matter what you produce. :top:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    Actually, I think you treat it like a joke because you know that you'll get such low marks no matter what you produce. :top:
    Haha too true!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I read some of the comments and really interesting minds (y) Glad to hear that someone still remember Lithuanians - we are the winers!

1. I started to watch it from 2006, when Lordi won
    2. I really often swear about Eurovision, because it is really comercial ****... And everybody know it, but really often I find there some good new bands what I like. (Terasbetoni, maNga...) But it is often like one years all are good and next years all pretty bad (in my opinion).
    3. About UK. Of course! It is like a show, fun! Why not
    4. It is sooo hard to understand what Eurovision needs... show? Song? music? Good face? Really hard to say. Probbably the best song for one or other years would be of that music, what is on the top of fashion in that time. Every song have some magical stuff, like Rybak's song had the rythm what is rythm of march And it really works!
    5. I am rocker and I always happe to see rock on the stage, BUT Eurovision isn't that place where maybe rockers should go. It is POP stage.
    6. I have one opinion - Turkey had to win. That's all and it was really good this year, many good performances
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd provide a better entry than the usual rubbish- here's a song by half man half biscuit about eurovision:

http://www.chrisrand.com/hmhb/some-c...ng-for-europe/
Updated: May 8, 2011
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki TV section

Quick link:

Unanswered TV threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.