The Student Room Group

ingrown hair problem.. (girls)

anon or delete

so I started shaving (female) and I have a real ingrown hair problem- only on the front.

I didn't use thick enough shaving cream at first and used tweezers that were too blund to tease out ingrown hairs...

when I started I didn't take all the precautions- I haven't got any new ones, but the old ones seem to still have an angry swollen red bump and sometimes get a little infected- and the bumps don't go...

I now, on advice, soak in hot water for 10mins, then leave the shaving cream on another 3-4, then shave with a 2 blade razor, same direction as hair growth, and soak again afterwards, and use moisturizer designed for that area...

for the ingrown hairs, I soak in hot water/place a hot flannel on the area and apply anti-septic cream to the bumps so they don't get infected...
and don't shave over any areas that haven't cleared up...

any help?
Try using a razor that has built in moisturisers or something like Gillette Venus Breeze, there's no need to use shaving cream, but I still do anyway.. Also, there's a Johnsons product that can be used as shaving cream aswell as shower soap, its got some kind of silky effect I find that works a dream too.
Try using a razor with more than 2 razors on, it might be that you're missing some hairs and going over the area again and again til you get them.. I've done this before, it's a pain in the backside to say the least.
Hope this helps!
Anonymous
anon or delete

so I started shaving (female) and I have a real ingrown hair problem- only on the front.

I didn't use thick enough shaving cream at first and used tweezers that were too blund to tease out ingrown hairs...

when I started I didn't take all the precautions- I haven't got any new ones, but the old ones seem to still have an angry swollen red bump and sometimes get a little infected- and the bumps don't go...

I now, on advice, soak in hot water for 10mins, then leave the shaving cream on another 3-4, then shave with a 2 blade razor, same direction as hair growth, and soak again afterwards, and use moisturizer designed for that area...

for the ingrown hairs, I soak in hot water/place a hot flannel on the area and apply anti-septic cream to the bumps so they don't get infected...
and don't shave over any areas that haven't cleared up...

any help?

I heard magnesium sulphate paste helps/what you are meant to use to draw out ingrown hairs.

Ask your pharmacist.
applying roll on deodorant to the area helps
put vodka on it. no joke!!!!
applying sudocream may help maybe not wearing knickers at night if it rubs (I know not the best but it may help)
Use an exfoliating glove regularly after you've shaven. Shave with the grain, not against. Don't shave too close (ie. not too much pressure).
its not recommended that you shave that area. I wax mine and I get 1 or 2 ingrown hairs each time and was told to use an exfoliating scrub to help draw out the ingrown hairs...
Reply 8
I second Sudocream it's good for anything to do with spots and ingrown hairs

Latest