The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Reading List Problem

I was just wondering if anyone else is yet to start reading a single thing from their reading list. Does anyone know how important it is to actually read the suggested books.
Plus the books on the economics reading list seem to be really difficult to come by. They are seriously expensive and I can't seem to find the latest editions of them on amazon. I don't know if I could get away with buying a previous edition, but with one book costing £108 I can't really afford to get it wrong. Have any other economics guys managed to get hold of any books yet??
The only other option may be to wait and see if I can get any books when I'm at Nottingham.

Scroll to see replies

I'm sure you can buy your expensive books at uni from students who don't need them anymore. Sometimes the older editions are dangerous as the excercises aren't the same, but the content will probably be.
BTW where do you get your reading list from? It is usually very important to read it. but expensive books sound like uni work not summer.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I've ordered my books (i'm going to be studying econ and philosophy, but my reading list was only for econ). I should be getting them next week, so i'm going to have a couple of weeks to wiz through them. Not planning on doing much though. I did manage to find most of the books on amazon, only ordered 3 though.
Reply 3
I'm hoping that I might be able to switch to joint honours when I get there, instead of doing single honours classics. Do you think it is a good idea to read some of the books forom the English reading list? I thought it might help my case.
Reply 4
I'm doing American and English Studies and I haven't read a single thing from the reading list. I'm going to try to do so soon, though.
Reply 5
Ollie87
I'm doing American and English Studies and I haven't read a single thing from the reading list. I'm going to try to do so soon, though.

If you do get some kind of joint honours list could you post what they ask you to read for English. I know "To the lighthouse" is on the list, and I've already read that, as well as Paradise lost.
Reply 6
I've lost it for now but I'll dig it out later.
Reply 7
I've read The Bloody Chamber and Things Fall Apart, and i'm reading Frankenstein now. I won't have got through them all by the time we get there though. I'm leaving Paradise Lost until last though. xx
Reply 8
Ooooh Frankenstein is great!! I really hope they let me switch to doing joint honours, but to be honest I'm not to hopeful.
Reply 9
my reading list is some Biology book.. and "any physics, chem & math a-level books"

im gonna flip through chapters and revise before i take off.. but it explicitly states that i dont have to buy the books, though they reccomend all bioscience students owning a copy of that Biology book..
The joys of having no reading list!! I think theres a bookshop on jubilee that have loads of copies of all business/economics books if you cant find any, but will be retail price...maybe thats why they havent given us one in advance.
We don't get a reading list for geography; after all, all we do is colouring in! :rolleyes: No need to read! :biggrin:
Reply 12
john williams
The joys of having no reading list!! I think theres a bookshop on jubilee that have loads of copies of all business/economics books if you cant find any, but will be retail price...maybe thats why they havent given us one in advance.

How come you've got no reading list
Reply 13
I haven't had a reading list yet!

But I did economics (at York, not Nottingham) last year, and we didn't need the expensive books on the reading list.
Reply 14
Am i supposed to have a reading list...!?
Not every course has one. I don't think I get one for geography...
Zeus
How come you've got no reading list

Dont know, but when you get there they give you a list of books to buy.
Reply 17
For those with Economics reading lists you don't need to get the latest edition of all the books, unfortunately no libraries near me stock any of these books so i have had to buy, Ebay is great though to find most on the list and i have bought a few from Amazon.

My Economics teacher recommended from the list to read:
D.Begg et al: Economics (5th ed--> is fine really)
D.N. Gujarati: Basic Econometrics
E.T. Dowling: Schaum's Outline of theory and problems of introduction to mathematical economics
P.Newbold: Statistics for Business and Economics

I thought i wouldn't read any of these but i want to read at least all of the above beforehand just to get prepared.
Reply 18
I have a reading list and I spent 4 hours yesterday at the Torrington Place Waterstones with food and books :biggrin:. I don't need to buy any books yet, but the entire booklist for the first two years come to a total of about £1000, which I guess is pretty ok as most are just recommended or supplementary and not essentials. I would ask around and see which books I like most and then buy. There is a Blackwells in the Portland building and QMC. Oh I cant wait to start..
Reply 19
I don't have a reading list either, and im quite sad about that.

Latest

Trending

Trending