The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I havent got an offical reading list, but Ive been learning Java for the course. I think I remember reading a list on their website, but they were mostly java related anyway, so I managed without them :smile:.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I got a reading list from the School of Economics too, but I can find nowhere to buy those books because I'm in China. :frown:

I only read some alternative books on economics. I don't know if they help.
Reply 22
DON'T spent over £100 on a book you can probably get from the library! There's really no need.

And don't worry if you haven't read anything before you start, most people won't have. A lot of people won't even have had a reading list!
Reply 23
alles_nichts
I got a reading list from the School of Economics too, but I can find nowhere to buy those books because I'm in China. :frown:

I only read some alternative books on economics. I don't know if they help.

Any book as long as it is fairly recent will be good.
Reply 24
You guys are making me incredibly paranoid. I'm doing Geography/Chinese Studies and haven't heard a thing about reading lists..
Reply 25
I've just noticed that the recommended book was on the bottom of a letter about registration. Have you had anything similar?
Reply 26
Jianren
You guys are making me incredibly paranoid. I'm doing Geography/Chinese Studies and haven't heard a thing about reading lists..

Speaking as Notts Uni graduate... (with a 2:1 Masters :smile: )... you don't need to worry about your reading list until you get to Uni and lectures start. Wait and see what your lecturer recommends regards textbooks.
Reply 27
Jianren

Like I already said, lots of people don't get reading lists 'till they start, and I'd imagine that a good proportion of even those who do won't have actually read anything off it. :smile:
Reply 28
Frances
Like I already said, lots of people don't get reading lists 'till they start, and I'd imagine that a good proportion of even those who do won't have actually read anything off it. :smile:

Yeah... treat my post as a reiteration. I estimate the percentage of people who have actually read anything from their reading list before Uni comes in at a fraction of a percent.
Reply 29
Acidedge
Yeah... treat my post as a reiteration. I estimate the percentage of people who have actually read anything from their reading list before Uni comes in at a fraction of a percent.

I bet there's also quite a few people where the amount they've read hasn't increased greatly by the end of the first year :wink:
Jianren

Don't worry, I'm 99.9% sure they don't send one out for geography. They didn't last year, apparently.
Reply 31
Acidedge
Speaking as Notts Uni graduate... (with a 2:1 Masters :smile: )... you don't need to worry about your reading list until you get to Uni and lectures start. Wait and see what your lecturer recommends regards textbooks.

That's reasuring! And well done on your 2:1! I've only read this teeny tiny book called Classics: A Very short introduction from my Ancient History reading list because there are about 5 books for ever catagory (e.g Atlases), so I'm not going to buy them all or risk getting the wrong one.

It says that you should take the chance to do wider reading over the summer, but I recon thats for people who havn't done the subject at A Level, and you certainly arn't expected to have read and memorised every book by the start of term, or there would be no point going to lectures!

xXx
Reply 32
Just thought i would post this incase anyone was on abit of a worry like myself!
I havent recieved anything at all from my department (sociology) and had started to think they had forgotten me! So I send an email to check if i will be recieving anything (ie reading list) and for once, i got a bloody quick response.........which was as follows:

Thank you for your e-mail which has been forwarded to me.

We will be sending out information to new students on Tues/Wed this week. With
this information there will be a reading list of Key Textbooks for your course,
however you will receive more detailed reading lists for each module you study
when teaching begins during the week commencing 3rd October.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further queries.

Pat Ryan
Undergraduate Administrator
Reply 33
I couldn't condone it but i've heard some people just get books out the library and photocopy the chapters they need. - No point in buying a whole book just to read one or two chapters

Latest

Trending

Trending