The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
wildrover
It is ridiculous, they are revieveing British tax payers money and surely this money could go towards making it free for those who's parentsa re actually contributing to the system.

If you decide to go to France or any other EU nation you would get the subsidised rate that the locals would get
Reply 2
potatonater
If you decide to go to France or any other EU nation you would get the subsidised rate that the locals would get

yes but the unis here are better so why would you go abroad?
ibs137

Really. If I was a business student I know where I would want to be.

UoM
University Of Monaco.
Reply 4
ibs137

That wasnt my point - its a recepircol agreement. And several European institutions are on par with most of the russel group (with the exception of Oxbridge, UCL and Imperial, if you believe what the tables tell you)
ibs137

We have more Unis which are highly ranked in the world, yes. That doesn't mean that some European universities aren't better than some of ours.
And we have some pretty **** unis...
Reply 6
MetalheadA7X
Really. If I was a business student I know where I would want to be.

UoM
University Of Monaco.

I dont know about UoM but I do know UoW (University of Warwick) is very well known for its business department.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/StudentsFromOtherEUCountries/DG_065322

It's not just EU students but also EEA, Switzerland and some children of Turkish nationals. Basically it was due to treaties the UK signed with the EU and EEA member states - again these being reciprocal agreements.
Reply 8
I agree with you OP. In this economic climate.. our nation is in debt! We should charge them extra. Not a crazy amount but enough for us British citizens not to suffer from the hiked up tuition fees we should be expecting soon enough!!!!
Reply 9
Very few British students want to go abroad to study their degree and I bet a lot of them that do are rejects from British Universities; it was a stupid contract to sign when so few people benefit from it.
wildrover
Very few British students want to go abroad to study their degree and I bet a lot of them that do are rejects from British Universities; it was a stupid contract to sign when so few people benefit from it.

Oh so none of them will be language students wanting to gain fluency by immersion then? By your logic it looks like you'll be going abroad then :rofl:
Having people wanting to come over here to study is a good thing, it means were doing something right. Remember they do also spend, we get money through them on VAT and generally through spending, at the end of it, we're probably getting the better deal.
Reply 12
EU citizens working in the UK also pay taxes, even if they aren't UK citizens... your argument is moot
wildrover

Just looking at the Investment banking forum there's plenty of individuals tempted by cheap european postgraduate subsidized tuition.

There's also plenty of demand for English programmes at FU Amsterdam and Uni Rotterdam. They're filled with British people. I would really be surprised if there were a large disparity between the amount of EU students in Britain and Brits leaving. Remember the only really desirable unis in the UK are Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Imperial. Places like Heidelberg and LMU Munich are pretty much as good as other British unis. Sciences-Po is probably nearly as good as LSE and they have a pilot Englih programme now as well.
Reply 14
EU students actually get their tuition fees paid for them here in Scotland, yet English, Welsh students etc do not.
Reply 15
ibs137

You chat alot of crap mate.

Note for TSR: Avoid this user for being a piece of ignorant sock.
Reply 16
It's not (only) the British tax payers who pay for us EU students, actually it's all European tax payers. The idea is to enable all European students to go abroad for their studies and I personally think it's an excellent idea.

Except that when I was studying in the Netherlands we paid less fees than the Dutch students, and that's not fair at all.
aprilterri
I personally think that it shouldn't be subsidised as we don't generally go to EU unis. We are getting a raw deal and if we do subsidise them, it shouldn't be at the same rate that we are subsidised.

Who is "we"? Have you asked everyone or are you just saying your friends didn't so presumably no-one else does?

The rule is fair and simple. Everyone in Europe pays the same as the people in that country would (apart from the Scotland anomaly). Presumably there are more coming here than leaving (there are dozens of other countries) but that will be the same for most places.
Reply 18
On a slightly unrelated note, this is probably the first time I've heard the current level of tuition fees described as 'cheap' by anyone who wasn't speaking for one of the university groups which are pushing for higher fees.:s-smilie:
Dettz
I agree with you OP. In this economic climate.. our nation is in debt! We should charge them extra. Not a crazy amount but enough for us British citizens not to suffer from the hiked up tuition fees we should be expecting soon enough!!!!

Only possible if we withdraw from the EU.
Dream on!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending