The Student Room Group

Decision Help! Brown vs. UCL

Hi everyone,

I'm in need of some advice. I was just accepted into UCL for it's postgraduate program in International Public Policy. However, I've already accepted an offer from Brown University to study public policy with an emphasis in international affairs. Coming from an American standpoint, Brown has a lot of prestige in the states, but UCL is very attractive because it's in London, it's much cheaper and it's ranked highly. I'm hoping to get some feedback about UCL from people who live in the UK. Does UCL's fourth place ranking reflect its prestige, or would you say that Brown is more prestigious because it's an Ivy League? OR does Brown even have an international reputation at all? I'm hoping to use this degree to advance my career in journalism or pursue work in human rights most likely in the states. But overall, what is your perspective on UCL and does it surpass Brown in academic reputation?

Thank you so much for all of those who respond. It's been a very difficult decision, especially when Americans aren't as familiar with UCL (not surprising). I'm just hoping to get more information about both schools and their international standing! Thanks for your time!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Brown is such a big name. I don't think I could turn it down. London is severely overrated anyway..
Reply 2
Brown. No brainer
I'm currently at UCL, and although I'm biased, go for Brown. UCL will do you no favours in the states. As you said yourself, not many Americans are aware of UCL.

Plus Brown is an Ivy League institution! You must be mad to turn it down!
Reply 4
Haz313
Brown. No brainer

Gotta love those IB hours, huh?
I myself would prefer UCL because I don't reaaly like the life in US..
but I think you should remember many elements contribute to this decision,you should weigh them for yourself feelings.
Anyway..Brown is more helpful for your career.
OP, that is a really tough decision. Are you a US citizen, because if you were you'd have to pay far larger fees for UCL than we would, so they would be closer to Brown's fees perhaps? It depends on where you want to work really - I can't say for UCL's US reputation, but Brown has an excellent reputation here - if you wanted to work in America, definately go for Brown, however in UK/EU I'd imagine they'd be pretty equal.

Focus08
Gotta love those IB hours, huh?

IB exams are ooooover :smile:
THEREFORE these are the IB summer hours. I just watched a two hour documentary on Japanese language.
Reply 7
waterinabottle
I'm currently at UCL, and although I'm biased, go for Brown. UCL will do you no favours in the states. As you said yourself, not many Americans are aware of UCL.

Plus Brown is an Ivy League institution! You must be mad to turn it down!

I'm american, andI don't know about either of those!
Reply 8
Gaines
I'm hoping to use this degree to advance my career in journalism or pursue work in human rights most likely in the states.

If you plan to work in the US, choose Brown.
In the US, while Brown is poorly known, UCL is completely unknown and will do you no favours in the job market.

Otherwise, choose UCL.
UCL is better known worldwide ( the "London" in the name helps ) than Brown.
I'm not sure I'd say that Brown is poorly known. It's one of the better known Ivies (ahead of Dartmouth and Penn certainly). And I would hazard a guess that, because it's an Ivy, it would probably be as prestigious, or more so, than UCL outside of the UK and the US.
a.posteriori
I would hazard a guess that, because it's an Ivy, it would probably be as prestigious, or more so, than UCL outside of the UK and the US.

You are wrong.
Outside the US, the only Ivies that are known are Harvard and Yale.
A few have heard of Princeton.
That is it.
Reply 12
BROWN!!! Congratulations on the offer!!!!!! Ucl is nowhere near Brown!!!
Reply 13
both are ranked very highly in the world rankings. look at world university rankings by newspapers this would tell you exactly what position they are ranked. UCL = 4th brown = 31st according to 2009 rankings.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/hybrid.asp?typeCode=438

UCL is seen as very presigious in England but coming from England i don't know enough about brown. where did you do your undergrad degree? if you did it in the US perhaps you may like a change if you went to UCL. the experience would be good and living in a different country will teach you a lot of life experiences that you could take with you into the future. have you visited both universities and spoken to people that do the course in each? if you do this it may help you make a better informed decision.
hali0112
both are ranked very highly in the world rankings. look at world university rankings by newspapers this would tell you exactly what position they are ranked. UCL = 4th brown = 31st according to 2009 rankings.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/hybrid.asp?typeCode=438

UCL is seen as very presigious in England but coming from England i don't know enough about brown. where did you do your undergrad degree? if you did it in the US perhaps you may like a change if you went to UCL. the experience would be good and living in a different country will teach you a lot of life experiences that you could take with you into the future. have you visited both universities and spoken to people that do the course in each? if you do this it may help you make a better informed decision.

Those are the same rankings that put LSE 67th :facepalm2:
Reply 15
Thanks so much for all of the feedback! I do think I want to eventually work in the states as a permanent livelihood. However, if the opportunity ever presented itself, I would like a degree from an institution that has a reputation both in Europe and the states. For my undergraduate degree, I attended a state school. So, I'm dithering between the Ivy League experience and a change of pace that living abroad would give me - two experiences I've never had before. If I ever wanted to pursue work in the UK, would a degree from Brown get me very far in your opinion? Also, I'm hesitant to rely on rankings alone. When I saw that LSE wasn't ranked very high, I became a little more skeptical of the rankings. That's why I wondered whether UCL's fourth place standing really reflects its reputation. Anyway, again, thanks to everyone for their time and input as I make this difficult decision!
flugestuge
You are wrong.
Outside the US, the only Ivies that are known are Harvard and Yale.
A few have heard of Princeton.
That is it.

your a idiot
thecityscape
your a idiot

Your grammar is appalling.
It should be:

"You are an idiot"
Or
" You're and idiot "

Even better, you should say:
" I have no clue, please beat me and put me out of my misery".
Gaines
For my undergraduate degree, I attended a state school. So, I'm dithering between the Ivy League experience and a change of pace that living abroad would give me -

Then go to Brown.
Having gone to a state school and then to an unknown (in the US ) university in the UK will do you no favours.
Brown (even though it is a lesser-Ivy ) will help erase the stigma of your state education.
Gaines
y I wondered whether UCL's fourth place standing really reflects its reputation.

It should be equal 5th to 10th in the UK, sharing the place with half dozen universities like Warwick, Nottingham, Durham, KCL.

It should be (in the UK ):

1 & 2 : Oxford and Cambridge
3: LSE
4.ICL
5-10. UCL, KCL, Warwick, Durham, Nottingham

Latest

Trending

Trending