The Student Room Group

personal statemnt

HI, please please could you read my personal statement?-i've got to have my application done today!!

Ever since I have had the ability to understand it, I have been fascinated by the English language. As a child, I would either be writing, reading or telling stories and ever sine then, have read a wide variety of both fiction and non-fiction texts from a variety of genres and eras.

I have recently gained my British Sign Language Level 1 certificate and am now beginning a Level 2 course. I began learning Sign Language simultaneously to beginning my A-Level in English Language and Literature, a course I have found extremely interesting. Taking these two courses concurrently was very exciting for me as learning more about the linguistics of the English Language enabled me to make comparisons between the two languages.
These interests have led me to this course which I not only feel suits my needs and interests aptly, but also excites me in its course content. I have enjoyed all of my A-Level English Language and Literature course but have found a few parts of it particularly interesting. I very much enjoyed our coursework tasks for our AS Level as it included writing a piece of our own and I very much enjoy writing. I also enjoyed the task of performing our own monologue after planning our performance alone as I have missed not being able to study drama as a subject.

This passion for language has led me to many different extra-curricular activities. For the past four years, I have attended a Youth Theatre each week where we concentrate very much on both improvised and scripted drama but also have done work on stage management, stage make-up, singing, and signed singing (an interest which begun with my learning of both violin and double bass to grade 4 standard).
With this same organisation, I have volunteered for the past three years at one of the children’s groups where I work helping with drama, music and art. It was with this same organisation that I decided to learn Sign Language.

I often try to follow my interests outside of school and so try to attend a wide variety of theatre productions, art exhibitions, musical performances and subject related lectures. When studying psychology last year, I attended a large psychology conference with a variety of speakers which was both helpful and interesting. Last year I also attended an ‘art master class’ organised with Middlesex University and with only ten students attending, it gave more opportunity for more detailed and involved discussions unlike the psychology conference. I have not yet had the opportunity to attend an English related lecture but look forward to a study day in March which will aid me with my study of Shakespeare’s Antony and Cleopatra.
In addition to this, I also have had numerous jobs alongside my voluntary work. I worked for a year in a bakery, babysat for over four years and have in the past few months worked at an after school club, a supermarket and do some occasional administrative work for the Poetry Society.

I have chosen to defer my entry to 2005 as I plan to complete a voluntary teaching placement in Africa. The prospect of this placement very much excites me as it will give me the opportunity to travel, to meet new people, to experience new cultures, and, above all, help out where much help is needed. I feel that taking a gap year is going to benefit me massively as it shall enable me to gain valuable life skills that will benefit me both at university but also in whatever I choose to do following university whether it be a postgraduate course or work.

If you read to the end THANK YOU THANK YOU. dearyxxx

Latest

Trending

Trending