The Student Room Group

Year 10 GCSE English Exam?

I have my end-of-year GCSE English exam this week...

I know some of you will say "end-of-years aren't important", but I really want to move up an English set as my year 10 teacher is teaching the set above me in year 11 and so if I do not move up I will not be able to edit coursework (our new teacher will be a new-comer)

SO... Are there any tips for an english exam? My teacher said you do not need to revise for it, but are there any tips/tricks?

Thanks!!
Reply 1
Are you doing a GCSE past paper (in which case Lang or Lit?) or a mix of the two in one paper like we did?
Reply 2
BookWormShanti
Are you doing a GCSE past paper (in which case Lang or Lit?) or a mix of the two in one paper like we did?

I'm not sure... All I know is that the paper is 1 hour 45 minutes and it split into Section A and Section B. You have to persuade/argue in Section B?
Reply 3
BookWormShanti

I'm not sure... All I know is that the paper is 1 hour 45 minutes and it split into Section A and Section B. You have to persuade/argue in Section B?
Reply 4
wombat10

Ah, I *think* that's only lang, not sure. It'll probs be poetry the first hour I think :smile: Basically for that you need to make sure you structure your answers well, use relevant quotes for every point, PEE (but not to onerously it decreases style), focus mainly on specific, detailed language points I'd say and make sure you compare the poems, linking them in theme/lang techniques/structure/tone etc, differences as well as similarities and then rounding it off in a good conc. It's better to have fewer points better explained - and if, you are comparing 4 poems remember you don't need to write about them all for each thing, maybe 2 at a time.

For the persuading just make sure you use all of those persuasive techniques like rhetorical questions, 2nd person, rule of 3 and so on. I normally find that easier than arguing...For arguing make sure your POV is clearly and concisely explained though, and try and do some of that persuasive stuff. There might be some sample answers online you could look at to get a better idea? It's largely about 'flair' (irritating, vague word) though for those top-end marks, and you've either got it or not, really :smile:

Why don't you try going to see your teacher and asking her for more info on whats on the paper or how to improve, she'll know better than anyone!

Good luck! If she says you can't revise - maybe its one of those papers where you can't, as rare as that is! I'm sure you'll do well though :smile: Quote if you need any clarification - soz this is all a bit vague really :biggrin:

EDIT: Ahh, media - that's prob more likely, deff lang :smile: For that make sure you know all the terminology and more important the EFFECT it has on the reader, so you can explain its use. Be sure you can analyse presentational devices as well as lang ones and know the diff between fact & opinion, they like that :smile:.

Hang on, theres a podcast thing somewhere...Here: http://www.podcastrevision.co.uk/podcasts.html the language GCSE paper 1 I think is what you're after - they should help explain a bit, good for listening to on the bus or whatnot, quite simple to download.

Latest

Trending

Trending