The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol LGBT

Hey, just a message to any lgbt (lesbian gay bisexual transgender) freshers who are thinking of coming to bristol next year. I'm on the committee of the LGBT society and will (try to) answer any questions you have on the society, the scene and just general gayness in bristol!
So reply to this thread, or private message me if you're interested!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what you got planned for freshers week? :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Still not decided on that yet, you'll have to wait till you sign up in september :tongue:
Reply 3
Hi, why do you have a society which effectively limits the cohesion of the university?
Reply 4
Hi, why do you have a society which effectively limits the cohesion of the university?

In my experience of being involved with various LGBT societies at universities they are set up for a specific reason - to give young people a safe to accept themselves, and to find out more information from a reliable source. University societies work on getting people together with a common interest, whether it's LGBT, rock climbing, music or something else.

A university is made up of many different elements, a LGBT society is no more harming the overall university than any other society is. Just because it's the LGBT does not mean that anyone is barred from joining, if you are worried about cohesion at university perhaps you could join them and show your support for equality? :smile:
Reply 5
and 'Max I' goes quiet..... :smile:
Reply 6
F4LL0UT
what you got planned for freshers week? :smile:

for the first month we've now got about 8 events planned :woo:
Reply 7
I'm sorry for not replying sooner, I saw the notification and decided it would require more effort than I wanted to give at that time to debate on this point.
Firstly; I would like to apologise for my original post, as it may be construed as aggressive or offensive.

I understand many people require a safe place to accept themselves and find out information, however; to call LGBT a common interest, is slightly odd as it would be to call being straight an interest, not quite parallel with rock-climbing. There is so much information readily available and differing sexual orientation has become mainstream. Maybe it is just me, but perhaps one of the biggest problems with being lesbian, gay, bi-sexual or transgender is that lesbians (and so on) make it a problem. Do not make the mistake that I am naive, for sexual orientation problems occur for a culmination of reasons. But if you would just get on with your lives, maybe there wouldn't be such a problem.
Reply 8
Hey guys, check out the website http://www.gayinbristol.com and tell me if you have any suggestions on how to make it better!
Reply 9
Hey,

Me and my girlfriend are moving to Bristol in September as postgrads. Does anyone know of a good place to find gay friendly or gay house/flat shares?
Reply 10
Char2010
Hey,

Me and my girlfriend are moving to Bristol in September as postgrads. Does anyone know of a good place to find gay friendly or gay house/flat shares?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=255608698877&ref=ts

not sure if they're still lookng for people though...
Reply 11
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=memulg8i2ftedutqc4c2pr1d6g%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/London

Calendar is up for october freshers! (click arrow at top to change from september to october)
Reply 12
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=memulg8i2ftedutqc4c2pr1d6g%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/London

Calendar is up for october freshers! (click arrow at top to change from september to october)
Is Max's belief common at Bristol? I'm worried :s-smilie:
Reply 14
Original post by magnum.opus
Is Max's belief common at Bristol? I'm worried :s-smilie:

Why?

He basically said that it's not an issue, but that LGBT people highlight it, bringing it to the front of peoples minds.

I kinda agree. It literally isn't important. You may as well have a Blonde Society. Or a Double Jointed society.

_Kar.
Original post by Kareir

Original post by Kareir
Why?

He basically said that it's not an issue, but that LGBT people highlight it, bringing it to the front of peoples minds.

I kinda agree. It literally isn't important. You may as well have a Blonde Society. Or a Double Jointed society.

_Kar.

If it "literally isn't important to you" then don't join an LGBT organization. But it "literally" is important to me. To each his own.
Reply 16
Original post by Max I
Maybe it is just me, but perhaps one of the biggest problems with being lesbian, gay, bi-sexual or transgender is that lesbians (and so on) make it a problem.

Personally I've always found discrimination, homophobic attacks and abuse, people being thrown out by their parents, the lack of sexual health advice and proper sex education, the lack of role models, the general identity crisis and the high suicide rate more pressing problems with being LGBT+ than lesbians. Might be just me though. :rolleyes:

Original post by Kareir

Spoken like a true cisgender heterosexual. How can you know that it's not an issue? Granted there are some tolerant corners of society where it's not an issue, but the vast majority of LGBT+ people (at least in my experience) face discrimination and abuse on a daily basis. It's really not a non-issue.

You may as well have a Blonde Society. Or a Double Jointed society.

And if I decided to set up a Blonde Society (I'm blonde and everything :awesome:) to discuss the best shampoo for blonde hair and things like that (... it would be quite a boring society :tongue:) would you feel the urge to have a go at people who joined? Whatever you think of someone else joining an LGBT+ society, surely it doesn't actively hurt you for them to do so, so there's no need to criticise them for it. I appreciate that you were just joining in, but if someone sets up a thread for their society (which is all the OP was trying to do) there's not much need for people to decide to criticise that society, when nobody was making them join it.
Original post by magnum.opus
If it "literally isn't important to you" then don't join an LGBT organization. But it "literally" is important to me. To each his own.

I don't get why so many people seem to think like this. I've met straight people at LGBT events too. The society exists to let people get together who have something in common. I refuse to see how that is making it "a big deal". Besides, it's the first time that I've met many young LGBT people. It's not something that's completely obvious. Why have any society if people think like this? It's important to me too. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Max I
Do not make the mistake that I am naive, for sexual orientation problems occur for a culmination of reasons.

wat
Reply 19
Original post by kerily
Personally I've always found discrimination, homophobic attacks and abuse, people being thrown out by their parents, the lack of sexual health advice and proper sex education, the lack of role models, the general identity crisis and the high suicide rate more pressing problems with being LGBT+ than lesbians. Might be just me though. :rolleyes:

Spoken like a true cisgender heterosexual. How can you know that it's not an issue? Granted there are some tolerant corners of society where it's not an issue, but the vast majority of LGBT+ people (at least in my experience) face discrimination and abuse on a daily basis. It's really not a non-issue.

And if I decided to set up a Blonde Society (I'm blonde and everything :awesome:) to discuss the best shampoo for blonde hair and things like that (... it would be quite a boring society :tongue:) would you feel the urge to have a go at people who joined? Whatever you think of someone else joining an LGBT+ society, surely it doesn't actively hurt you for them to do so, so there's no need to criticise them for it. I appreciate that you were just joining in, but if someone sets up a thread for their society (which is all the OP was trying to do) there's not much need for people to decide to criticise that society, when nobody was making them join it.

Well said. P.S. Becca says hi!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending