The Student Room Group

What are the difference between King's and Imperial about Neuroscience courses?

Dear All,

I have received offers from MSc Neuroscience at King's and MSc Integrative Neuroscience at Imperial.
But I still don't really understand that what are the difference between them?
For me, it's a tough decision.
Both colleges are so good and hard to choose one.
Could anyone tell me about their prons and cons?
I wanna know more details from their real student life and research direction, not just some information I can obtain from the web.
Many thanks for any suggestion.:smile:
Reply 1
Hey

I'm in exactly the same situation as you as i've been offered a place from both colleges for neuroscience. It's taking me even longer to decide because i'm a King's undergraduate. The only difference I know is that you get more practical experience at imperial whereas King's has more of theory work. In terms of social life it's really hard to tell any big difference...
Reply 2
singh12
Hey

I'm in exactly the same situation as you as i've been offered a place from both colleges for neuroscience. It's taking me even longer to decide because i'm a King's undergraduate. The only difference I know is that you get more practical experience at imperial whereas King's has more of theory work. In terms of social life it's really hard to tell any big difference...

Thank you sooo much. Are you also a new postgraduate student this year? So in your case, do you decide where to go? And I still have a question about King's course, it focus on psychiatric disease more than Imperial? On the other hand, Imperial course concentrate on molecular and cellular field, is it right? I appreciate your help. :smile:
Reply 3
Shana Wang
Thank you sooo much. Are you also a new postgraduate student this year? So in your case, do you decide where to go? And I still have a question about King's course, it focus on psychiatric disease more than Imperial? On the other hand, Imperial course concentrate on molecular and cellular field, is it right? I appreciate your help. :smile:

Yeh I'm going to be new postgraduate student this year. I haven't decided which one to pick as i'm waiting for my results for the current degree.

I think both colleges focus on psychiatric disorders as well as cellular and molecular field but the course format is slightly different.

At King's:
4 x 2.5-hour Written Examinations
and 4 x Coursework essays 40%
Project : Laboratory performance 25%
Thesis 17.5%
Poster presentation 17.5%

At Imperial you will be having three teaching modules in the first half (so three exams and a coursework for each module; 55% of the degree). In the second half you will be taking a lab project that contributes 45% to the degree.

Because you have more number of exams at King's I believe you would have more of theory work. Imperial would provide you with more of clinical experience. You can have a look at the course handbooks for more info.

hope that helps..
I am also in exactly the same situation and it is driving me mad. The impression I get is that Imperial is a better university overall and for science in general, but that Kings is particularly strong in Psychiatry - I believe the Institute of Psychiatry is the largest of its kind in europe. I have an interest in the neuroscience of psychiatric disorders so I'm in a real bind.
The only really decisive factor for me is that the website is better on the Kings site and it is easier to know what the course is about than the imperial site.
I just need something to tip me over one way or the other.
singh12
Hey

Sorry a follow up - can you tell me what you mean by imperial having more practical experience and kings having more theory - is that just because there are more lectures at kings?
Reply 6
At imperial you study three modules in the first-half whereas at King's you have four modules therefore more number of lectures at King's.
I have an interest in the neuroscience of psychiatric disorders so I'm in a real bind. The only really decisive factor for me is that the website is better on the Kings site and it is easier to know what the course is about than the imperial site.
Reply 8
What made you do a MSc in Neuroscience? What's the funding and careers prospects like for the field of Neuroscience at the moment.
I have been offered the same as you guys, and hopefully can shed a little more light on the situation.

From what I understand, Imperial is regarded as one of the best Universities in the country for anythign scientific, and had a ranking of 2nd in the UK last year for its scientific regard, and 5th in the World.

Kings however seems to have its academic onus focussed on its impeccable medical school and nursing facilities. Although, as previously stated, the Psychiatry department is infact one of the most influential and important in the country, that is for its continued research and development capabilities as opposed to the reputation of its new Post-Graduates.

The other main fact to consider is the actual difference between the courses. And Imperial MSc in Integrative neuroscience covers the clinical, physical and cognitive factors associated with Neuroscience today. Kings however offers a "Clinical Neuroscience", a more focussed graduate degree on only the diagnosis and treatment of such diseases as opposed to the deep understanding of these.

Kings is one of the best universities in the country, as well as Imperial, and I think to recieve offers from both is extremely impressive and prestigious.

Socially, being no further than 10miles away from one another, the differences between the Universities are minimum in that respect.

The courses themselves are different, so you should really analyse the relevent prospectuses before making any decisions, to see which appeals to you most and which you know will capture your interest more.

I hope this has helped, sometimes another perspective can help a lot.
Reply 10
hey
Im planning to apply for both of these courses too. Could you tell me what are the entry requirements? and im in my final year, so when should i apply?
Reply 11
Imperial has a sustained reputation for excellence in science. It's recognised by other top institutions, employers etc as a long time top ranking university. Whilst kings jumped up the general rankings last year - a degree from imperial still has more status . As a PhDs student in Bristol I know which of the 2 offers I would jump at

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending