The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Maker
You do not understand my point.

People's attainments should be judged on their output, not the time it takes them to complete courses of work and exams.

If people have completed all the relevant coursework and done all the exams after a year, why should they have to wait another 2 years just hanging around doing nothing?

Also, if people want a break in their course, why can't they suspend their study and come back and pick up where they left off?

Theres no logic in making everyone take 3 years to do a degree, its the output that counts, not the time taken.

Brian May took 36 years to complete his PhD.

Slightly off-topic, but may I ask which subject you're doing (if indeed you're currently at university at all)? The way in which you've suddenly introduced PhDs into this makes it sound a bit as though, well, you don't really know the difference between an undergraduate degree and a research degree, and that kind of undermines your authority a little...:erm:
Reply 21
hobnob
Slightly off-topic, but may I ask which subject you're doing (if indeed you're currently at university at all)? The way in which you've suddenly introduced PhDs into this makes it sound a bit as though, well, you don't really know the difference between an undergraduate degree and a research degree, and that kind of undermines your authority a little...:erm:

I did my undergraduate degree some time ago. My degree could have been done by someone in a couple of years because a lot of the stuff we did in the first year was not relevant to the next 2 years. I think some degrees get loaded with lecturers' pet interests and do not really form a consistent whole.
Reply 22
Maker
I did my undergraduate degree some time ago. My degree could have been done by someone in a couple of years because a lot of the stuff we did in the first year was not relevant to the next 2 years. I think some degrees get loaded with lecturers' pet interests and do not really form a consistent whole.

Um, that was rather evasive and didn't really answer my question.:s-smilie: Anyway, I don't quite see how a statement as broad as 'some degrees get loaded with lecturers' pet interests' can be derived from the fact that you felt the first year of your own degree 'some time ago' wasn't as directly relevant to the rest of your course as it might have been.
Maker
I don't think it takes 3 or 4 years to learn a language, unless you are not very bright. Actualy, the best way to learn a language is to live in the country where its spoken or better still, be sent to prison in that country. You get to learn "pass the soap" in whatever language they speak in the prison very quickly.

If people want to experience academia, they can do it over a life time by getting higher degrees and working in it.

Prison rape jokes. Classy.

Arts degrees need three years because they tend to be such broad fields that to really gain an understanding of your subject you need three years to let your mental food go down (so to speak).
Maker
I don't think it takes 3 or 4 years to learn a language, unless you are not very bright. Actualy, the best way to learn a language is to live in the country where its spoken or better still, be sent to prison in that country. You get to learn "pass the soap" in whatever language they speak in the prison very quickly.

If people want to experience academia, they can do it over a life time by getting higher degrees and working in it.

OK, so when was the last time you tried to learn a language to near native fluency?

EDIT: Also, I learn about linguistics, culture, history and literature. Not just language. That's not all a language degree is.
Well, first of all, this wouldn't work for language degrees. A certain amount needs to be covered.

Secondly, there are reasons other than job prospects to go to university.

Thirdly, surely we should maintain some kind of standards? They've already cut most degrees down to three years from four. If we keep on doing this, pretty soon you'll have no time to learn anything in an arts degree. Besides, you learn more transferable skills in three years than in two.

Fourthly, what about people who want to be history or english teachers? They'll need to get another teaching qualification, sure, but they should also be pretty knowledgeable
about their chosen subject.

And I think it's hugely important that we remember and continue to study our past, and literature from all time periods. If we stopped studying history, people would eventually forget about the romans, the greeks and other ancient cultures - we'll have lost a vital piece of the history of the human race. What about when people start forgetting the World Wars? The Holocaust?

And, as a future english student :tongue: , I hate the thought of us not passing on great literature from the past. From Homer to Jane Austen, there's so much good stuff out there. What if people forgot about Shakespeare? :s-smilie: Ugh.
Reply 26
This kind of argument is always exceptionally weak as it assumes that maths/science/econ/engineering undergrads all go on to make a broadly fully use of their degree in their work, which isn't really the case.
Reply 27
Kreuzuerk
This kind of argument is always exceptionally weak as it assumes that maths/science/econ/engineering undergrads all go on to make a broadly fully use of their degree in their work, which isn't really the case.

There are far fewer jobs for graduates in history or English in their degree subjects compared to graduates in sciences or technology.
Reply 28
Angela_Beth
Well, first of all, this wouldn't work for language degrees. A certain amount needs to be covered.

Secondly, there are reasons other than job prospects to go to university.

Thirdly, surely we should maintain some kind of standards? They've already cut most degrees down to three years from four. If we keep on doing this, pretty soon you'll have no time to learn anything in an arts degree. Besides, you learn more transferable skills in three years than in two.

Fourthly, what about people who want to be history or english teachers? They'll need to get another teaching qualification, sure, but they should also be pretty knowledgeable
about their chosen subject.

And I think it's hugely important that we remember and continue to study our past, and literature from all time periods. If we stopped studying history, people would eventually forget about the romans, the greeks and other ancient cultures - we'll have lost a vital piece of the history of the human race. What about when people start forgetting the World Wars? The Holocaust?

And, as a future english student :tongue: , I hate the thought of us not passing on great literature from the past. From Homer to Jane Austen, there's so much good stuff out there. What if people forgot about Shakespeare? :s-smilie: Ugh.

Almost all arts and science degrees with the exception of some language degrees and sandwich courses have always been 3 years long in Britain. Do you have information to the contrary?

I haven't said people should not study history or english but they could study less of it. It is obvious the amount of coverage in 3 years of studying history or english is going to be a very small part of even a single country's history or literature. If that information will not be used in work, why study more of a very tiny proportion of it?
Reply 29
I haven't said people should not study history or english but they could study less of it. It is obvious the amount of coverage in 3 years of studying history or english is going to be a very small part of even a single country's history or literature. If that information will not be used in work, why study more of a very tiny proportion of it?

There are far fewer jobs for graduates in history or English in their degree subjects compared to graduates in sciences or technology.

Can you, on a very basic level, devolve DEGREE from CAREER? See that one isn't purely a conduit to the other, not necessarily a means end relationship, can you understand that? If you can't then i will at least understand why you are still bothering to post on this thread.
Maker

Thats wasnt Kreuzuerk's argument at all.

I studied physics at Imperial college and I reckon 80% of the students will never use 95% of what we learnt. Most of them go into finance, consulting etc. and it should be pretty obvious that your average banker isn't going to be using quantum mechanics in his day job.

I think the most valuable skills you learn at uni for a career are independence, stress management, self-motivation and conformity.
Maker
Almost all arts and science degrees with the exception of some language degrees and sandwich courses have always been 3 years long in Britain. Do you have information to the contrary?

I haven't said people should not study history or english but they could study less of it. It is obvious the amount of coverage in 3 years of studying history or english is going to be a very small part of even a single country's history or literature. If that information will not be used in work, why study more of a very tiny proportion of it?[/QUOTE]

To better ourselves.

About the four year degree thing - maybe I'm wrong about it. I just know that my Dad did a four year degree (he studied english), and I've heard it from older relatives/family members. But that's Northern Ireland, so it could have had a different system.
Even 3 years is too short for a proper science degree. its 4+ years in most countries. I cant comment on arts degrees, but one this is true, the UK sells education. The faster (international) students are processed the more $$
Reply 33
halfoflessthan50p
Thats wasnt Kreuzuerk's argument at all.

I studied physics at Imperial college and I reckon 80% of the students will never use 95% of what we learnt. Most of them go into finance, consulting etc. and it should be pretty obvious that your average banker isn't going to be using quantum mechanics in his day job.

I think the most valuable skills you learn at uni for a career are independence, stress management, self-motivation and conformity.

Brian May became a musician. If so few graduates used what they learnt, they have obviously wasted their time and the time of the uni.
Reply 34
Nick Longjohnson
Even 3 years is too short for a proper science degree. its 4+ years in most countries. I cant comment on arts degrees, but one this is true, the UK sells education. The faster (international) students are processed the more $$

Most countries start at a lower base than England e.g. United States so they have to cover the same stuff in the first year that students in England learn at A level.
Maker
Most arts degrees could be reduced to 2 years because they are largely not vocational and the knowledge they confer is seldom used or needed in the workplace. This is not about cramming 3 years work into 2 years but cutting the degree content.

Foe example, most people doing english or histroy degrees go onto jobs that do not specify a degree subject, i.e, the degree content is irrelevant to the job. So why spend an extra year and money learning about stuff that will have no relevance in ones future employment? If arts students do want to go on to do research in their field, they could opt for a masters or DPhil which most have to do anyway.

Science, technology and vocational degrees are different because they need the knowledge and practical skills they learn over 3 years to do their job such as in nursing or fashion design.

I see where you are coming from, but as other posters have said, university is about education advancement, not purely for careers. Such arts degrees have historically been designed to provide a broad base of which one can enrich themselves through simply attaining knowledge, which is why back in the good old days, degrees such as literature, classics, the greats and history were very popular. Universities still run under the same principle of academic enrichment , which cannot really be done in two years imo. Learning how to properly analyse texts and really understand history takes a lot longer. The same with sciences such as chem, bio and physics tbh. They are all essentially academic subjects and under this arguement could be done in two years rather than three.
Maker

from graduation, i agree. Thats why its important to go to a top university, get a high class degree and do more extra-cirricular work experience in desired fields.

That said when I was working at accenture last year, the majority of their new recruits were arts or law students, ofc from top 10 unis.
Reply 37
Maker
Brian May became a musician. If so few graduates used what they learnt, they have obviously wasted their time and the time of the uni.

Remind me of the relevance of Brian May in this again?:confused: I mean yes, I've also read the whole story of how he belatedly decided to finish his PhD etc., but what exactly is this - not particularly typical - example supposed to show? That PhDs take time? That some physicists end up in decidedly non-physics-y careers? That reviving abandoned PhD-projects after 20-odd years is a good way for aging musicians to get back into the headlines? None of this is particularly relevant to your odd suggestion to cut a years' worth of degree content for non-sciency and non-vocational degrees because you believe that will make them 'form a consistent whole'.

I'm sorry, but unless you can actually come up with something resembling an argument, I'll have to assume that you're just someone who happens to be bored at the moment because his A-level exams are over.:dontknow:

Latest

Trending

Trending