Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
lilsunflower
I guess...

If you like Durham, then just go there. Would be a great idea to check it out. Let's face it.. all the top unis are around the same standard. From the list of top unis, the rest is just personal preference.

After all, we're stuck there for 3 years. I've never been to any uni apart from Cambridge, so I'm just relying on other people's opinions.. but so far I'm sticking with nottingham.

You do that. I've got some advice for you, decide what you really want out of a university personally, because Nottingham and Durham are very different places. It will be of more benefit to you, rather than relying on who can go on the most about why their university is better. If you want to do a law degree you will need to start formulating your own opinions rather than changing them every five minutes to suit the popular mood. You would be a lot better off doing your own research, another skill you will need to show lots of if you want to succeed on any decent law degree.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
AveHan
You do that. I've got some advice for you, decide what you really want out of a university personally, because Nottingham and Durham are very different places. It will be of more benefit to you, rather than relying on who can go on the most about why their university is better. If you want to do a law degree you will need to start formulating your own opinions rather than changing them every five minutes to suit the popular mood. You would be a lot better off doing your own research, another skill you will need to show lots of if you want to succeed on any decent law degree.

I agree (clearly something is wrong there :biggrin: )

you definetly shouldn't simply listen to people on here because we are all biased, there are a lot of notts people on here but simply listening to an unfair majority shouldnt decide your university career, ask others who are applying for law and not simply those at the uni's, ignore league tables and maybe try ask law firms who is the best in terms of reputation etc

though i does pain me to says so if you were going on reputation alone you really should reconsider warwick, if social life matters to you then notts is definetly your best option and if you want to live in old historic buildings (which college have you got?) then go for durham
Well you see, it is a bit hard to make a decision when we come from different environments. The prospectuses are all really bias too, however, you're right about them portraying different images.

Personally, the reason why I'm deciding on Notts is because of its connection with Malaysia which is where I originate from. Most people here have never heard of Durham (no offence at all! just a fact) despite its reputation, and Warwick is something almost unheard of as well (most people end up calling it WaR-wick). Plus, Durham is pretty far north, and I'm terrified of freezing to death (a serious problem if you've come from 32 degrees celcius).

When I talked of 'people's opinion', I meant people who study Law and have studied at either of the 3 universities who I know personally. Since they're from this part of the world, their tastes are more in tune with mine and they can give me the opinion of an international student. For example, things like "how many other malaysians are there?" do matter if it comes to things like getting hands on homecooked food and just talking about familiar things.

I'm just fishing around for other random bits of info I can find on this forum, even the battling over which uni is best is quite interesting. Someone on this forum did give me a very detailed low down on my choice universities through MSN.. and based on other research, he seems to be singing the same tune.

Thanks for your advice and help though. It's so hard choosing! I should bug my parents to allow me to take a holiday during term-time so I can visit the UK. After all, since I'll probably need ABBmax for entry requirements, I can afford a bit of slack especially since I'm stuck in Uni for 3 years and spending so much. :smile:
Me2
because its a good university (especially for degrees like history and law), and not everyone can just 'get into' oxbridge, the fact that people go there when they are rejected from oxbridge, shows that it is damn good and that the people studying there are obviously good enough to apply for oxbridge, but just weren't lucky enough to be offered a place

It's not just an oxbridge rejects uni - i could have applied to oxbridge but decided not to, as i didn't like the course or the whole ethos. it just wasn't for me.
AveHan
Right well i'm not even going to bother arguing this one, as I have better things to do. I, amongst several others have explained several times why Durham is a "really popular university". It's a great place, and one of the best universities in the country. I don't think that anyone could ever call it "second rate". You're either bitter because you got rejected, or a sad little person trying to cause controvosy which everyone is bored of by now. Get a life.

HERE HERE :smile:

Latest