The Student Room Group

IBS and anxiety

Hello everyone,

I have ibs and I have noticed it is really triggered by anxiety and it's getting in the way of my life.

It all started after a stomach infection last year and now I still have problems with ibs-D. During that time I became scared about leaving the house because I was scared I would need the toilet.

I've noticed that if I know I have a couple of days to myself where I know I'll be alone and I don't have to go anywhere I'll be completely fine. Even if I eat loads of bad foods that normally make me ill I'll only get a bit of a stomach ache at worst.

But as soon as I know I have to go somewhere it comes back and I get really bad stomach cramps and diarrhea and obviously this then just makes me more nervous about going out. Even just knowing that friends or my boyfriend are coming over makes me stressed and I end up with stomach ache the whole time they are here which kind of ruins the time I spend with them.

Any tips on how to cope? I'm going to the doctors tomorrow, do you think there's anything they will be able to do to help?
Honestly, you'll get a better answer here: http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/
Reply 2
There are a quite a few of us here who have IBS, I think we can give good answers.

You might be advised on breathing/relaxation techniques to control the anxiety and help with the IBS. You may also be given medication to help like Mebeverine. I actually have IBS D and it helps me really well. I have a few other of my own remedies which help.

Latest