The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Scroll to see replies

Becca28
They've run out of host families as well now lol, some people are going to be forced to find their own accomodation as not enough families want to provide accomodation for us students :smile: eeek....

Oh Jesus Christ.

*hopes they found me a nice family that has a cute hamster*

...I nearly bought a hamster yesterday. :s
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 21
aww how come you didnt get the hamster in the end? sure you could sneak it into your room without anyone noticing... :smile:
Ah, I can't afford to give a hamster the happy life that it deserves.
Reply 23
meh just had another call from host family lady saying doesn't look like i have a host family yet (even tho yesterday she told me i was one of the first to get my form in and they were working down the list giving people who got the form in earlier priority), apparently the uni are looking at "alternative options" but she still hasn't even decided who's getting host families and who's not, they're so unorganised seeing as only just over a week to go!
Becca28
meh just had another call from host family lady saying doesn't look like i have a host family yet (even tho yesterday she told me i was one of the first to get my form in and they were working down the list giving people who got the form in earlier priority), apparently the uni are looking at "alternative options" but she still hasn't even decided who's getting host families and who's not, they're so unorganised seeing as only just over a week to go!

She's not got in contact with me once. Grr.

Really, I'm all for the university expanding, but not when it leads to this...
Reply 25
She did say i could be stuck with a host family in the middle of nowhere if i took my car with me, but thats no use for freshers week if i want to drink and cant get home because there are no transport links anywhere! She didnt really seem to understand the urgency of the situation, not sure she realises everyone else has known about accomodation for weeks in advance!
How middle of nowehere would that be?
I don't drive, I've always planned to learn after my degree. I do live on the main London to Brighton line, but right up towards london. I can't afford the commute!
Reply 27
Im not sure, she said normally she would disregard the places that werent near bus stops/train stations or in a town, but if i had a car i could drive to uni (tho think it would use up a lot of petrol everyday if not nearby), i think she was suggesting it as a last resort as they couldnt find any more families in the brighton, hove, lewes etc areas within a reasonable commute of the campus. she said the uni were being forced to think up some more options so maybe they might find some rooms somewhere (she said something about the languages area having their own rooms which they might be able to borrow a couple of) but the uni hadnt agreed to anything so she is still focusing on host families. dont get me wrong i cant wait to uni :smile: and sure i'll love it when i get there, but is all a bit confusing at the mo until we find out where we're staying lol
I just hope that all of this doesn't get in the way of my enjoying it.

It does sound like they're trying, so I'm sure we'll all end up somewhere. Still, it's the not knowing...
Reply 29
Just found your message :smile: the numbers i have for the lady are - 01325 243567 and 07990 576561, her name is Masha Woollard, she has all the forms and has been sorting through them so should be able to tell you where you're staying hopefully :smile:
Thank you! *scribbles down number*

She won't mind me phoning her mobile now, d'ya think?
Reply 31
dont think she'll mind, she seemed very happy to help when she called here earlier, think its a bit stressful for her at the mo but shes doing her best, id def give her a call and see what she says :smile:
Right, no host family for me.

If it was first come first serve, I think it's a bit unfair as I didn't even have thletter though for a good long time. But I can't do anything about that.

She said that, like you said, the university have some avenues that they're exploring that she has nothing to do with, and that she is still getting people offering to be involved in the scheme, but she won't have time to check them out with visits, proper interviews and stuff. But I've said that I don't mind going for that if I have to, and I'll just hope I get someone nice. When I said where I lived, she agreed that I can't commute everyday.

Damn.
Reply 33
With regard to this whole accomodation mess (god bless the University!) I've put Abi, our Welfare Officer on the case (she should be signing up here too) but please let her know about any problems you're having - she's very nice and would love to help you out. You can email her - [email protected]

Jo x
Ah, it must be so frustrating...I really feel for you both. Maybe the best thing to do is have a look at private accommodation, sharing with other students? I checked my Sussex email for the first time today and saw a few mails from students with spare rooms...let me know if you want the info, or you might have the same emails.
Reply 35
thanks Jo :smile:

its such a pain there are no host families! dogtanian have you had a look on the house finder on the sussex website, there are a few rooms still on there and prices start at about £60-ish (tho most want a deposit first), most of the cheapest rooms are in brighton so wouldnt be too far from uni and would be easier for going out in evenings etc
I've actually just got off the phone with a woman that Marsha Woollard put me in contact with, but hasn't had a chance to visit herself. I'm visiting it on Sunday, but she seems really nice and laid back, so I hope I like it! She's housed students before. It's in Woodingdean, so not bad for getting in either.

Becca, do you know what's happening with your housing?
Reply 37
nope have no idea what im doing yet lol!
Becca28
nope have no idea what im doing yet lol!

When did you ring? Because she knew when I told her my name that I didn't have housing. If you told her your name and she didn't tell you anything, maybe they found you someone, or have a shortlist or something.
Reply 39
i phoned her yesterday, but she phoned back this afternoon to say it didnt look there are any host families for me, she didnt mention any other options so kinda assumed id have to rent out a room somewhere, do you know if she might have any other families she hadnt had a chance to check out that might still have space?

Latest