The Student Room Group

16, bored and looking to join youth theatre/ drama group

Hiya!
Basically just looking to hear from anyone who is in or who knows someone in a youth theatre/ drama group/ some sort of course as to where you go, what you do etc - or just general tips/ advice.

I've been looking to join a theatre/ drama group for a while now. I'm 16 and pretty inexperienced that way, having only done GCSE Drama beforehand (wasn't the best, most consistent student, but did well for myself, getting A* in the end). Hence I want to be in an environment with older people so I can rediscover performance skills and grow in the all the ways you do. I'd like to just do straight theatre as opposed to music or dance (totally fail at both.. :shot:)

TBH this is only a potential hobby, I don't plan to study it at uni or pursue it as a career. I don't think I'm good enough at all for that!... but I've been lacking in confidence/ motivation for a while and think I need a boost in my social life too.
I live in Tonbridge but don't mind travelling far-ish (eg London) if it's worth it. Preferably free... but if not then reasonable fees please.

Can you help?
Reply 1
are u a boy or a girl?
katyness
are u a boy or a girl?

it matters?
lol, im a girl
Reply 3
it does. i know of a drama place thingy but we have a lof of girls we need boys :s
Reply 4
You have to pay a pretty coin for most drama youth theatres, like Sylvia young and institutions such as that. Do you want to enroll in a well established theatre school, or a more low scale one? If you're swinging towards the latter, then ask an ex-drama teacher or a friend about where the cheapest and local drama centre is, which you can attend on weekends. This could actually be really good for you, because you could help run younger classes in the future, and this would serve as work experience on your Personal Statement for universities showing you really like to get involved in the community. It shouldn't be too hard to find a local drama club, I bet the school or college you go to even has one, so just be vigilant and inquisitive and you'll find what your looking for.
Reply 5
katyness
it does. i know of a drama place thingy but we have a lof of girls we need boys :s

sorry for double posting, but whereabouts is it? I'm a boy!
Reply 6
do u live anywhere in london? i dont know exactly where it is since it changes every week, i'd have to ask my friend
katyness

hmm, think you could take one more? :smile:

EDIT: I'm 40 min away from LDN. Please do ask your friend! Could you PM me or reply to this thread once you do? cheeers!
Reply 8
xCHiiBiEverlastingx
hmm, think you could take one more? :smile:

EDIT: I'm 40 min away from LDN. Please do ask your friend! Could you PM me or reply to this thread once you do? cheeers!

hey, sorry for the late reply (i had exams and stuff :s-smilie: ). Just spoke to my friend and she says it's for over 18 young ppl... sorry x:
katyness
hey, sorry for the late reply (i had exams and stuff :s-smilie: ). Just spoke to my friend and she says it's for over 18 young ppl... sorry x:

aww, thats a shame. but thanks for asking her anyway :smile:
Kick
You have to pay a pretty coin for most drama youth theatres, like Sylvia young and institutions such as that. Do you want to enroll in a well established theatre school, or a more low scale one? If you're swinging towards the latter, then ask an ex-drama teacher or a friend about where the cheapest and local drama centre is, which you can attend on weekends. This could actually be really good for you, because you could help run younger classes in the future, and this would serve as work experience on your Personal Statement for universities showing you really like to get involved in the community. It shouldn't be too hard to find a local drama club, I bet the school or college you go to even has one, so just be vigilant and inquisitive and you'll find what your looking for.

sorry, somehow i missed this in the first place! many thanks for your response :smile:
I haven't asked any of my old drama teachers, as I'm sure I can find better places than they could suggest! :p: (sounds quite dismissive of me, but I've done a fair bit of research)
i've emailed some in london, got one in my local I should be looking into, and there are more I haven't got the chance to talk to yet. There's also the NYT ofc.... though I would probably be too chicken and too rubbish, it's something to think about isn't it, and if I make the cut for these smaller theatre groups, I will try and go for that!!
Reply 11
Just wondering, is there a website which you can use to find local amateur dramatics organisations near you?

The Yellow pages website and other sites are useless.
Le_Bow
Just wondering, is there a website which you can use to find local amateur dramatics organisations near you?

The Yellow pages website and other sites are useless.

I take it you're interesting in youth theatre too? ^__^

I went on nayt.org.uk, found a lot on there.
Also checked wikipedia (they have page listings for youth theatres, youth organisations on there, though some are abroad so you have to be careful)
And then ofc good old google.
Reply 13
xCHiiBiEverlastingx
I take it you're interesting in youth theatre too? ^__^

I went on nayt.org.uk, found a lot on there.
Also checked wikipedia (they have page listings for youth theatres, youth organisations on there, though some are abroad so you have to be careful)
And then ofc good old google.

Thanks I'll check those out.
Well I am sorta toying with the idea.
But I really have no idea about any in my local area.

Also I don't want one's for under 18's, as I am in my early 20's.

I would like to find one of those open to people of all ages.
Le_Bow
Thanks I'll check those out.
Well I am sorta toying with the idea.
But I really have no idea about any in my local area.

Also I don't want one's for under 18's, as I am in my early 20's.

I would like to find one of those open to people of all ages.

You've heard about NYT (National Youth Theatre)? It's open for ages up til 25. There's also the Lost Theatre (London) which if I'm not mistaken is for ages up til 27... those are all the ones off the top of my head.
I'll be 17 in August, so if you happen to find a group that would take me (I don't want to be the oldest in the group when I'm just starting out!!) then could you please message me or post back here :smile: anyhoo good luck!
Reply 15
xCHiiBiEverlastingx
You've heard about NYT (National Youth Theatre)? It's open for ages up til 25. There's also the Lost Theatre (London) which if I'm not mistaken is for ages up til 27... those are all the ones off the top of my head.
I'll be 17 in August, so if you happen to find a group that would take me (I don't want to be the oldest in the group when I'm just starting out!!) then could you please message me or post back here :smile: anyhoo good luck!

I'll check those out as well.
Thanks and good luck to you too!

Latest

Trending

Trending