The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Akc

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
JC87
I was hoping for either a glorified RS lesson (ya know, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam etc) or maybe some ethics and morality (abortion, death penalty, cloning etc) to get the debating buds going but it seems now that is more of a glorified Sunday Church Schooling lesson more than anything else.

yea to me that would be a lot more itneresting as well, i mean im not anti christian by any means, but i believe that religions such as buddhism, hinduism and islam deserve a mention as wel :smile: after all we are all supposed to grow up being internationally and cutlurally aware at kings arent we? :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
King's was and still is protestant though.
Reply 22
GengisKahn

That's true, and therefore it is understandable they offer a course like AKC, however it might be worth having an option to study other religions in AKC as well seeing as King's accepts students from all over the world
Reply 23
GengisKahn

Yeah but who the **** wants to study 100% Christanity and its ethics really? BTW I come from Ermysted's Grammar School in North Yorkshire and even there we didn't have just Christian lessons. Not saying its bad or anything, but merely very boring (btw I'm actually not that interested in religion at all, but more about the practise and philosphy).
I wasn't saying that it was linear - hell, I haven't even done the AKC! I was just saying that King's was originally a religious institution; set up to counter the unreligious "godless of Gower Street" (aka. UCL).
Reply 25
Well Kings is a Church based college. It has a christian chapel in the Strand building. I think it looks intresting. And an hour a week isn't that bad. but then again I said that for General studies and never went. Still got an A though, lol.
Reply 26
I'm thinking of doing it, sounds interesting
Well, King's was founded as a religious alternative to the secular UCL, and as religious back in them good ol' days generally meant 'Christian', that's probably why. I think it's because this year the courses are 'Encountering the Bible' and 'Christian Doctrine' that it is so Christian maybe in the following years it will get more general.
Reply 28
The AKC seems to me to be a trojan-like conversion course. Im not falling into that trap...
Reply 29
HTale
The AKC seems to me to be a trojan-like conversion course. Im not falling into that trap...

What do you mean? It's only gonna add an extra qualification (and an extra bunch of letters) to your name, no?
Reply 30
JC87
What do you mean? It's only gonna add an extra qualification (and an extra bunch of letters) to your name, no?

Yeh I want more letters after my name!! lol. I don't believe it is a course which is trying to convert the people of Kings. I mean, I went to a Catholic School yet I was still taught about different religions and other faiths and their beliefs. It's just an extra which looks good on the old CV and sounds really interesting. :smile:
No, I wouldn't say it's trying to convert anyone it's just that this year the topics happen to be about the Bible and Christian doctrine, so it is going to look a bit Christian! You also get to study ethics, philosophical theology, and Religious Studies...

In fact, go onto this page: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/akc/discussion/ , and look at the drop-down list.
Reply 32
gringalet
No, I wouldn't say it's trying to convert anyone it's just that this year ..........fact, go onto this page: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/akc/discussion/ , and look at the drop-down list.

Now that looks interesting! i hope its like that this year as well... hmmm too bad they are not posting this years syllabus online.. king's is always a bit slow when it comes to the website side.. although i must give them credit for the new site, looks 100x better.. first impression of the university was quite poor when u looked at the old site!
but what can i say :tsr: has the nicest site :biggrin: and it will never be replaced
Reply 33
How about I start philosophical Islamic lectures? Why should religion in this country be synonymous with Christianity? I think I'll give AKC a miss, I'll have enough letters after my name in 10yrs time.
The course begins in your first year and takes three years to complete. During that time you will take six short courses topics include aspects of morality (including medical ethics), philosophical theology (including the problem of suffering), Biblical Studies, Religious Studies and Christian doctrine. The courses for this year are Encountering the Bible and Christian Doctrine: Belief and Practice.

Students in the Theology and Religious Studies Department, and those taking Philosophy & Theology, have a special AKC programme. The courses this year will be Europe: History and Identity and Insights into Policy Issues.

2005-2006 course for General students:

Encountering the Bible
A series of nine lectures by members of the Dept of Theology & Religious Studies

1. 3 October The Revd Dr Richard Burridge, the Dean
Approaches to the Bible An Introduction

2. 10 October Dr Deborah Rooke
‘Now you see it, now you don’t’ What is the Old Testament anyway?

3. 17October Dr Deborah Rooke
‘In the beginning’ Narrative in the Hebrew Bible

4. 24 October Dr Chaya Halberstam
‘Justice or Politics?’ Law of the Old Testament

5. 31 October Dr Chaya Halberstam
‘Love is as Strong as Death’ Poetry of the Old Testament

7 November Reading Week no lecture

6. 14 November The Revd Dr Richard Burridge
‘Lives of Jesus’ The Gospels

7. 21 November Dr Lutz Doering
‘Grace to you and Peace’ The Letters

8. 28 November Professor Judith Lieu
‘Time and History’ Acts and Revelation

9. 5 December Professor Judith Lieu
‘What’s In and What’s Out’ The Canon
Christian Doctrine: Belief and Practice
A series of nine lectures by members of the Dept of Theology & Religious Studies

1. 16 January Professor Oliver Davies
What is Christian Doctrine?

2. 23 January Professor Oliver Davies
Thinking the Trinity

3. 30 January Professor Oliver Davies
Who is Jesus Christ?

4. 6 February Dr Paul Janz
Doctrine and Realism

5. 13 February Dr Paul Janz
Doctrine and Reason

6. 20 February Dr Paul Janz
Doctrine and Ethics

7. 27 February Jane Williams
How do we use the Bible?

8. 6 March Jane Williams
What is the Church for?

9. 13 March Jane Williams
The challenge of mission

See http://www.kcl.ac.uk/about/structure/dean/akc/general.html
HTale
How about I start philosophical Islamic lectures? Why should religion in this country be synonymous with Christianity? I think I'll give AKC a miss, I'll have enough letters after my name in 10yrs time.

Does this warrant a response?...
Reply 36
phillipsm
Does this warrant a response?...

This is a forum after all
Reply 37
Yea ill give it a miss as well, I would've been more interested in the 2005 Syllabus....
They probably have three differnet syllabuses that they alternate each year so that every student does each course..
HTale

Hicham Talebali BSc (London) MSc (Oxon) PhD (Cantab) OBE

:biggrin:
Reply 39
GengisKahn
Hicham Talebali BSc (London) MSc (Oxon) PhD (Cantab) OBE

:biggrin:

:rofl:

I would make one correction

MSc (London), rather than BSc

But they would be letters to be proud of!

Latest